HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
I started out with a Radian I towed, we actually found a piece of zip tie on the ground that had been in the sun and hardened, and we stuck it under one of the slider's in the front that it hits when it lands, and put the string under that. on Disconnect, he pulled the nose up and stalled it, and it flew from there. That worked better than we had planned. Since it's balsa and motorized, maybe you could put one of the wench hooks on it towards the front. To release from this, you'd have to slow down, he'd have to nose down to get some speed and pull away from it. Just a thought. I'm bored at work hense the quick replies :P
silentwarrior is offline Find More Posts by silentwarrior
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:05 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
pics of my fun cub

Here are some pics of my funcub, finished her up today (may do a little bit more detailing on tail yet)

These pics dont have the motor prop as I took them out to see why there were vibrations. I think the prop is not balanced properly, or the prop adapter as the motor shaft looks to be spinning true.

I was taxing it around in the grass and it handled it nicely, save for the vibrations. It has not been flown yet; hopefully soon.

I used Krylon Fusion for plastics Sun yellow, and Varathane, diamond finish, gloss coat water based. As you can see I took some liberties with the stock stickers, and have painted the rims, control horns and all hardware chrome.

Hope you enjoy
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:16 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
Razor, that sun yellow is the same stuff I used Looks great!! I had a vibration witht he plastic motor mount untill i went around and tightened all the screws as tight as I could get them when i used the stock motor. Burned that out the 1st time I tried to tow the ASW-26 (fiberglass sailplane). Try to keep the down angle they reccomend on the motor, if not it's not that big of a deal, mine flys fine with the motor straight out. The plastic that holds the fire wall in place, wouldn't hold the Power 25, (in fact it went flying 20' down the sidewalk on a static test, broke a prop ) so we put in a 3/8" ply firewall and never adjusted it for down thrust.
silentwarrior is offline Find More Posts by silentwarrior
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
Thanks

I'm using the hobbyking G10, which is power 10 equivalent, and had a 12.4 prop, but I dont think its running true. So, will need to get a better prop.

I am hesitant to over tighten and strip screws. Was pondering using nail polish in plastic threads as it can act like a plastic locktite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwarrior View Post
Razor, that sun yellow is the same stuff I used Looks great!! I had a vibration witht he plastic motor mount untill i went around and tightened all the screws as tight as I could get them when i used the stock motor. Burned that out the 1st time I tried to tow the ASW-26 (fiberglass sailplane). Try to keep the down angle they reccomend on the motor, if not it's not that big of a deal, mine flys fine with the motor straight out. The plastic that holds the fire wall in place, wouldn't hold the Power 25, (in fact it went flying 20' down the sidewalk on a static test, broke a prop ) so we put in a 3/8" ply firewall and never adjusted it for down thrust.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,079 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday, it flew great! I used tower pro 9gram servos in the wing, an HS-81 on rudder, and an HS-82 on the elevator. The firepower 15 with an 11x5.5 prop pulls around 30 amps, and gives around 350 watts. Easy vertical, and takes off in a few feet. It flies very nicely, stunts, or just cruising around smoothly. On my first landing I had a huge grin on my face from how slow it came in. No vibration problems, but I think my balsa frame inside may have helped with that.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
Congrats

How did uou design balas inner frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I maidened mine yesterday, it flew great! I used tower pro 9gram servos in the wing, an HS-81 on rudder, and an HS-82 on the elevator. The firepower 15 with an 11x5.5 prop -pulls around 30 amps, and gives around 350 watts. Easy vertical, and takes off in a few feet. It flies very nicely, stunts, or just cruising around smoothly. On my first landing I had a huge grin on my face from how slow it came in. No vibration problems, but I think my balsa frame inside may have helped with that.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,079 Posts
I put a plate on the bottom of the fuse, and then one on each side that extend up into the motor mount. Then I had a plate at the back to keep the battery in place for cg. And I used some squisny foam to keep my batteries from sliding around in the back of the fuse.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
Cool thanks

I am pondering using foam to keep lipos in Place vs velcro

I was pondering adding fOam to front of fuse; behind motor to dampen vibs and sound maybe.

Have some owens to use perhaps
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,114 Posts
I use a velcro strap through two slots in the bottom of the fuselage, looped inside to go round inserted battery,
small piece of thin ply between slots prevent foam crush.
Small piece of foam hotglued in at front and rear of battery position prevents unwanted fore/aft movement.

Slide battery in, pull strap tight on outside of fuselage, good to go, I use my batteries on their sides its easier that way.

Deyrick
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,160 Posts
Since we use the batteries in other planes, we have a piece of ply with the velcro
on it and hold the battery to that with two rubber bands. You have to get the bands to
lay flay so they don't interfere with the velcro.

The other planes don't use velcro and one plane the battery is a tight fit.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Jun 11, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That motor seems to be VERY close to the Hacker A30-28s that I have in mine except for the Kv and I have been very happy with it. My FC is 1070 grams with a 2200mah battery. It is not a 3D machine by any means, but it has plenty for the normal acrobatics and seems to have enough to pull vertical quite well at full throttle.

You might need a slightly larger prop though. I use a 10x5 and that loads the motor slightly over it's maximum rating, producing somewhere around 280 watts. It is a 1140 Kv motor. Your new HK motor is a 950Kv so I would expect it to need a larger prop, but the 10x6 might be just enough.

Gord
Thanks for the reply. I hope I get an AUW just below 1000grams.
I have several props 9x6 to 11x7 so I will test all of them and choose the best
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
did maiden tonight; winds were higher than expected but went up anyways. Was all good until prop started vibrating past half throttle like many have reported.

So, I took it down, put on a smaller 9x4x7 prop on, and it flew better, less vibs but they were still there. At this point I was thinking that maybe the motor prop adapter was slightly bent, or motor shaft, but after running up with out a prop, it wasn't bad at all.

So.

I backed out the angle adjustment screws so the motor was dead straight. I then took it up with the 9x4x7 prop and it flew great, no vibs and could fly WOT, but, wanting more prop I decided to take it down and put back on the 12x4. Took, it up, and once again past half throttle it vibrated like crazy. I guess the prop is too much fo the stock mount. The motor would vibrate soo much, that the mount would twist and separate seam on cowl.

So, took it home, and before I make a new mount, I am attempting something else.
I took a 3mm tab and drilled into the holes where the angle adjustment screws go, and threaded them so stock screws would fit.

I then put all 6 screws back in with nail polish to help hold screws in place. I will let it set up and try it again tomorrow night. I never should have had the angle screws set up in the first place; what a bad design.

How did they expect the mounts threads inside the fuse not to strip when other screws are applying pressure on them?

The G10 motor I am using is not sufficient with only being held in place with 2 screws.

If this doesn't work, I may add in a ply firewall back inside cowl, so motor can mount from rear.

If anyone else has any better suggestions (now that its together) I am all ears.

I should've done this in the first place

It looks soo good in the air.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,079 Posts
The screws in mine stripped out yesterday after its eight flight, and I just finished building up my ply wood firewall, and installing the motor. Ive run it up to WOT, pulsed it, shook it around and tugged on it, so it seems like the motor should hold on fine. I'll Test fly it tomorrow.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,435 Posts
good luck

let us know how it goes please

can you post pics of firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
The screws in mine stripped out yesterday after its eight flight, and I just finished building up my ply wood firewall, and installing the motor. Ive run it up to WOT, pulsed it, shook it around and tugged on it, so it seems like the motor should hold on fine. I'll Test fly it tomorrow.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
did maiden tonight; winds were higher than expected but went up anyways. Was all good until prop started vibrating past half throttle like many have reported.

<..>

If anyone else has any better suggestions (now that its together) I am all ears.

It looks soo good in the air.
If you have not already, make sure you do a perfect job balancing the prop. I used to balance the blades but eventually figured that the hub is often out of balance too. I apply medium CA with kicker on the light side of the hub until the prop stays at rest in every position I put it in. That, combined with the metal mount has solved my vibration issues even though I only have a 4mm shaft and no reinforcements.

Martin
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm