HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,564 Posts
We thought ours was ready, but due to a radio problem, lack of a decent instruction
manual, we have to go back and redo all the servo settings. That means cutting our
some foam to get to the screws or removing the glued in servos in the wing. The
ones in the sides are not a problem. The flap servos are OK.

None of our servos are properly centered. So trim and travel are limited in one
direction....

We have several planes to redo.............
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Not perfecty centered servos in resting position is what sucks about using y cables; cant use sub trim to adjust each servo indepently
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:36 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Not perfecty centered servos in resting position is what sucks about using y cables; cant use sub trim to adjust each servo indepently
Yeah, after looking it over, limited room, and the fact that this plane does not need to be slowed down, I opted out of adding flaps for now. If you want to slow down, harrier! She's a cub, they harrier beautifully.

Not to mention, it's simple when setting up flaps with my Aurora 9, not the case with my DX7. Unfortunately, since I am setting up a buddy box, I have to use my Spektrum gear.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Unless I am reading it wrong, this is how multiples recommends the thrust angle????

Looks a bit much. Is this a good starting point??

Thanks
Did you add shims to do thrust angle or something? I actually don't remember seeing anything about it in the manual. I put mine on straight and it flies great as far as I can tell. One funny thing about the geometry of the plane is that the wings looks like they already have a positive AOA compared to the rest of the plane. Seeing how this plane does a lot of acrobatics maybe a symmetrical thrust is better? Don't know much about this yet...
darknrgy is offline Find More Posts by darknrgy
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknrgy View Post
Did you add shims to do thrust angle or something? I actually don't remember seeing anything about it in the manual. I put mine on straight and it flies great as far as I can tell. One funny thing about the geometry of the plane is that the wings looks like they already have a positive AOA compared to the rest of the plane. Seeing how this plane does a lot of acrobatics maybe a symmetrical thrust is better? Don't know much about this yet...
Page 22 of the instruction manual, it says to put in a lot of down thrust. The picture shows the 4 adjustment screws screwed into the motor mount. Top two screws come out the back 3mm, bottom 2 screws come out the back 1.5mm.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
So what is wrong with Parkzone/Hangar9 stuff?
Ron
absolutely nothing....I like diversity...thats all....there were 4 wildcats for example...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Without the downthrust you will get a lot of ballooning at anything over two thirds throttle.

Unless of course your motor is low powered.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
We are using Tactic raidos. The little book they give you sucks.

There is a beep at the end of the trim travel and other at center and then
another at the other end of the travel. Brad was using the center beep as
the other end, so we only had half what was there and depending on which
way he he started and then everything was out of wack. We called Tactic
and they got us going. We really like the wireless buddy box feature.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jun 05, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:35 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
We thought ours was ready, but due to a radio problem, lack of a decent instruction
manual, we have to go back and redo all the servo settings. That means cutting our
some foam to get to the screws or removing the glued in servos in the wing. The
ones in the sides are not a problem. The flap servos are OK.

None of our servos are properly centered. So trim and travel are limited in one
direction....

We have several planes to redo.............
Wow, I feel your pain. I had a similar issue a while back where I re-used a model memory without doing a reset. It took me a while and a lot of frustration before I realised it had all this sub-trim in the radio (from the previous model in that memory location).

I highly recommend using a servo tester when building. They usually have three modes:
1. Neutral - centres the servo.
2. Manual - allows you to drive the servo via a rotary dial on the tester.
3. Auto - this drives the servo from full positive to full negative deflection at a speed set by the rotary dial. Great for running new servos for a few minutes before installing to hopefully weed out any bad ones.

If you use a servo tester in your build, you really have no need to connect a receiver until near the end. I'm sure you can get them at most hobby shops but I just use one from HobbyKing which I highly recommend. It was only $3.56 using the swarm buddy-code combo price.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...=0&y=0#catalog

I hope this helps, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aus; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:48 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,296 Posts
Had my FC out last weekend and got some great shots! What a great plane pretty sure I'll never be without one

My setup is a 130g Omega 60amp hobby wing ESC, reccommended Hitecs all around. Played with a lot of different props anything from a 12x6SF to a 14x7 and pretty much settled on 12x8, great combo of power speed and flight times.

joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
I could have sworn I had an Omega 130g in my motor box, but apparently I didn't.

I ended up with a 480+ from head's-up R/C.

I would have loved that Omega, plenty of power, but that extra 30 grams of weight would have had me adding lead to the tail.

As is, I placed the Rx under the wing, with the satellite against the bottom back wall (vent hole). My Sky 3S 2650mah 40C pack is all the way back, and it seems to balance perfectly.

I have a 12x6 for maiden. Should fly in the next hours or so.

Maxed out throws for 3D
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:21 PM
Smooth not Shaky
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Nov 2011
51 Posts
[QUOTE=joshet89;21819668]Had my FC out last weekend and got some great shots! What a great plane pretty sure I'll never be without one

Hi

That's some pretty country you are flying in and your cub looks super. The flight shots look right at home in the scene and the pilot is doing a great job. You must have some time on the sticks, right on.

Dick B.
EFlapper is offline Find More Posts by EFlapper
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
136 Posts
Does the Omega 130 bolt up to the included firewall or do you need to modify it?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I could have sworn I had an Omega 130g in my motor box, but apparently I didn't.

I ended up with a 480+ from head's-up R/C.

I would have loved that Omega, plenty of power, but that extra 30 grams of weight would have had me adding lead to the tail.

As is, I placed the Rx under the wing, with the satellite against the bottom back wall (vent hole). My Sky 3S 2650mah 40C pack is all the way back, and it seems to balance perfectly.

I have a 12x6 for maiden. Should fly in the next hours or so.

Maxed out throws for 3D

The 130 is a horse in this application, 9 minute lazy flights with a gens ace 2650 on the 12x8

I did add a little weight to the tail b/c I wanted to keep the battery in the middle as much as possible b/c I wanted to keep some flexibility of mounting the GoPro in some different locations. Right now I have 2 GoPro mounts one on the canopy and one on the wing. GoPro on there makes for some awesome pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFlapper View Post
Hi

That's some pretty country you are flying in and your cub looks super. The flight shots look right at home in the scene and the pilot is doing a great job. You must have some time on the sticks, right on.

Dick B.
Thanks! These pics were at my club field in NE Ohio and it is a great place to fly. I have had the FC since last september and it comes to the field every time I go out
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89