SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:22 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Do you guys think that 53 grams of thrust is enough to hover, and have vertical?
thanks
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976Ferrr View Post
Mikej561, that motor is fine! It's the same specs as the NTM 3542, I had a 3536 910kv in the cub before the 3542, and the 3542 works much better,and doesn't get warm at all.(efficiency)
I WOULDN'T mount it to the plastic motormount though.... Or you have to be very precise in balancing motor/prop.

Grtz Ferrr
Ok, IŽll buy metal motormount. Thank you
mikej561 is offline Find More Posts by mikej561
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:47 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
What is the best way to reverse the shaft?

Should I take the grub screw and E-clip off, and just tap it through with a hammer?
Mine had 2 set screws that needed to be loosened. (E-flite) They were tiiiiight as can be so make sure you have the correct size allen or you may strip the head. I usually take a socket from a socket set, and put it against the motor on the side the shaft is not currently sticking out on. I put the whole thing in a vise, carefully lining it up. I then slowly tighten the vise, which pushes the shaft through to the other side and into the space within the socket.

Look for flat spots on the shaft, as this will tell you how far to push the shaft through. Those flat spots are typically where the grub screw needs to be tightened down on the shaft.

I'm sure all motors are slightly different, but thats how i do it. You can also use a drill press and a combination of wood blocks to push the shaft through.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
Mine had 2 set screws that needed to be loosened. (E-flite) They were tiiiiight as can be so make sure you have the correct size allen or you may strip the head. I usually take a socket from a socket set, and put it against the motor on the side the shaft is not currently sticking out on. I put the whole thing in a vise, carefully lining it up. I then slowly tighten the vise, which pushes the shaft through to the other side and into the space within the socket.

Look for flat spots on the shaft, as this will tell you how far to push the shaft through. Those flat spots are typically where the grub screw needs to be tightened down on the shaft.

I'm sure all motors are slightly different, but thats how i do it. You can also use a drill press and a combination of wood blocks to push the shaft through.

Thanks!! Socket and Vice, perfect idea.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:08 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Do you guys think that 53 grams of thrust is enough to hover, and have vertical?
thanks

Only if the model weighs less than 53 grams. Did you leave off a digit here?

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:38 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I meant 53 ounces, woops
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, FL, Wellington
Joined Sep 2011
47 Posts
Hey guys

This thread is massive... I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I built my FC and I have serious vibrations above half throttle. I have an aluminum motor mount, I'm using slightly larger screws, everything is tight and glued. I'm using a Himax 3516-1350 and the mount from smallpartscnc.com. I'm spinning an
APC 10x5

Anyone have any suggestions and what I could try next?
trying_to_fly is offline Find More Posts by trying_to_fly
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,033 Posts
Balance your prop, or maybe motor bearings are bad, or bell is off balance.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying_to_fly View Post
Hey guys

This thread is massive... I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I built my FC and I have serious vibrations above half throttle. I have an aluminum motor mount, I'm using slightly larger screws, everything is tight and glued. I'm using a Himax 3516-1350 and the mount from smallpartscnc.com. I'm spinning an
APC 10x5

Anyone have any suggestions and what I could try next?
Common problem with the Fun Cub. The nose and motor mount of the model is a bit weak. I tried balancing, different props, etc, and I couldn't get rid of the vibration. Finally I beefed up the nose after some advice I got here. I glued in some plastic across that mid section, added some CA glue all around, added a post between the two motor mount pieces at the back, wrapped a bunch of the nose in clear tape, tightened the screws nice and tight. Vibration gone.
darknrgy is offline Find More Posts by darknrgy
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, FL, Wellington
Joined Sep 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknrgy View Post
Common problem with the Fun Cub. The nose and motor mount of the model is a bit weak. I tried balancing, different props, etc, and I couldn't get rid of the vibration. Finally I beefed up the nose after some advice I got here. I glued in some plastic across that mid section, added some CA glue all around, added a post between the two motor mount pieces at the back, wrapped a bunch of the nose in clear tape, tightened the screws nice and tight. Vibration gone.

I wrapped the nose with some tape, added some CA, checked the tightness of everything.... and bingo, vibrations are much better. Thanks!!

I just had a good flight with a 9x6. Then I swapped it out for my 13x6, and that didn't work out so well. I think the bigger one might just be too much for my motor. But regardless, my 9x6 worked great
trying_to_fly is offline Find More Posts by trying_to_fly
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:02 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I meant 53 ounces, woops
Given that the model should weigh close to 40-42 ounces, you will definitely be able to hover. If that is a main goal, a large diameter low pitch prop is best. Remember, you are trying to emulate a helicopter rotor blade at that point. Thus the recommended 13x4 is better for hovering (as well as short takeoffs and getting off the water with floats) than a 12x6, though it won't be as fast in level flight.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:23 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
mutha - I'm not sure if you got any answers to your question on alternate motor mounting (post #10901 Page 727) but in an equally insane fit of overconfidence, I stuffed my Cub in pretty good last Thursday (Gory details on my blog)! So I'm also in need of some hatch forward plastic surgery. I found a post by sandeaa on page 593 regarding a 'Firewall mounted motor mod' and a HobbyZone Super Cub cowl that look's promising and I'm certain that there's at least one more back in there somewhere. I got a firewall mounted motor mount with the stock power package (I actually kept it!) and I was thinking of mounting it on a firewall like his. I can figure out the down thrust angle from my aluminum motor mount, but can anyone give me the 'built in' side thrust angle? Thanks! ~ Robin (cubcrasher60)
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added Photos
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:29 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
mutha - I'm not sure if you got any answers to your question on alternate motor mounting (post #10901 Page 727) but in an equally insane fit of overconfidence, I stuffed my Cub in pretty good last Thursday (Gory details on my blog)! So I'm also in need of some hatch forward plastic surgery. I found a post by sandeaa on page 593 regarding a 'Firewall mounted motor mod' and a HobbyZone Super Cub cowl that look's promising and I'm certain that there's at least one more back in there somewhere. I got a firewall mounted motor mount with the stock power package (I actually kept it!) and I was thinking of mounting it on a firewall like his. I can figure out the down thrust angle from my aluminum motor mount, but can anyone give me the 'built in' side thrust angle? Thanks! ~ Robin (cubcrasher60)
much Sympathy brother .... easy to be lulled into a sense of overconfidence!

I think in that post I included some photos of my solution. I had in fact broken the nose into 5 separate pieces. I think you will see I used some light ply at the rear to help hold it all together and used the original rails (all bolts replaced as I had stuffed them ... ) I had also stripped the RH thread but used some CA (someone said it was better to do what i did with some oil or grease on the mount bolt so it can be extracted.) CA in the hole and screw in the bolt ( I set all the other bolts prior.) I have a 10x6 on my moxie motor and have about 3 - 4 degrees of RH thrust. (little less than the down - needed lots of that.)
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
Thank's mutha! I've got the tail fixed up already and I'm waiting on one of the HobbyZone Super Cub cowls (I had one but tossed it about two months ago!) I guess I should be grateful that the new landing gear from http://www.cublandinggear.com hasen't arrived yet, otherwise they would probably have been mangled also! I've got a hair brained idea I'm considering (more on that when or if it actually pans out) I'll just say it hinges on my ability to learn how to play with Carbon Fiber!

Regards and Thank's for the encouragement! ~ Robin (cubfixer60)
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:01 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,951 Posts
Realistically ... so long as you have a 'fairly' solid front section there is no reason why you couldn't mount a firewall and have a more traditionally mounted motor. (like the sound of the CF ) I think possibly the actual design is aimed at weight reduction. I don't know. I still think it is dumb but it does work and works well as many here will attest to.

I have added a thumer style bomb drop to mine and am enjoying it all over again.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha