Pretty nice bird.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers View Post
Even though neither "Bluhammer" nor "RTF Thumper" bothered answered the questions I asked, I respected their experience and recommendation and purchased a Horizon Hobbies Champ.

What a piece of junk, e.g., its horizontal stabilizer and rudder are made out of the most easily torn material. It's no easier to fly than the Ember 2. It's tiny wheels in no way can begin to handle "my 10 acres" that "are pretty rough." Thanks for the "help" guys, appreciate it.

After not getting any answers at all regarding my questions, one of which was about the battery for the Easy Cub, I went ahead and purchased a broad selection of both 2s and 3s for it. Again, thanks for the "help" guys, appreciate it.

Just in case a beginner/novice like I am comes across this thread and mistakenly thinks I got good advice I just want to make sure they realize that not only was I not given the fundamental respect of answers to my questions, but the recommendation I did get, i.e., to buy and try to learn how to fly using a HH Champ was incredibly poor advice.
I would also have to agree with the advice given. The Champ was my first plane. I learned quite a bit from it. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it held up in crashes. I think it is a really nice plane to start with because you get to enjoy flying right away. Try to think of the Champ as training wheels. You can't go off roading with it, but you learn the basics.

I moved up to the HawkSky as my second plane. Despite my time on the Champ I smashed the nose in the first several flights. It took time to learn how to use ailerons correctly. I would not want to think about what it would have been like without the experience I had already gained.

In my experience with building planes I get far more frustrated when they crash compared with a plane that I just have to glue the tail feather on and fly. What I think "Bluhammer" and "RTF Thumper" where trying to do was allow you to learn how to fly while avoiding the frustrations that come with the hobby until after you've also had some enjoyment.

Just my thoughts.

-Farles
farles is offline Find More Posts by farles
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Even though neither "Bluhammer" nor "RTF Thumper" bothered answered the questions I asked, I respected their experience and recommendation and purchased a Horizon Hobbies Champ.

What a piece of junk, e.g., its horizontal stabilizer and rudder are made out of the most easily torn material. It's no easier to fly than the Ember 2. It's tiny wheels in no way can begin to handle "my 10 acres" that "are pretty rough." Thanks for the "help" guys, appreciate it.

After not getting any answers at all regarding my questions, one of which was about the battery for the Easy Cub, I went ahead and purchased a broad selection of both 2s and 3s for it. Again, thanks for the "help" guys, appreciate it.

Just in case a beginner/novice like I am comes across this thread and mistakenly thinks I got good advice I just want to make sure they realize that not only was I not given the fundamental respect of answers to my questions, but the recommendation I did get, i.e., to buy and try to learn how to fly using a HH Champ was incredibly poor advice.
Just hold up a minute buddy.. Dont get defensive. We are just offering possible ways for you to have good success at flying rc. The Hobby Zone champ has been a huge success throughout many new modelers and flyers. So only naturally would they recommend it. But then again, the champ is not made to fly off of grass at all.. only smooth concrete like a driveway, or in indoor areas like gymnasiums. But thats really aside the point right now. If you ask for help, you are ASKING.. you seem like you are in kinda a rush or something.. so dont be demanding. remember, not everyone has all the time of day to answer questions right away.. expect a couple days at least for people to answer your questions completely. NOW, i do however, want to help you. The batteries i use are Turnigy nano tech 2200mah 3s 20c packs. these lipos are great for the funcub. They provide you with a lot of flight time, which is especially good if your starting out. A 2s pack will not last as long. Now another thing i would like to mention to you is, if you are buying an easy cub, go for it! Its a great plane, and with the fun cub wheels, it will handle your land quite well. But another bonus is this, all you have to do to make it a funcub is buy the fun cub wing! its a direct fit, and it will add flaps and ailerons to the plane. And it will cost you less in the long run. And to add to your success, i would recomend getting the metal motor mount for the funcub to put in it. It will save you from a world of hurt with the whole prop/motor vibration caos. Thats just a heads up. I very much hope that i have helped you, if only a little, and i do really wish you success in this great hobby of ours!

-Colin
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

Wow... Just wow.

Dude... Just spend a few minutes browsing the thousands of "what should my first plane be" threads in the beginners forums and take a quick tally of how many people recommend the HH Champ. Or better yet, walk your happy ass to any hobby shop and ask their opinion.

You got great advice. I would've also suggested the exact same thing and scores of others would to. The HH Champ was my first plane and I've progressed just fine... I'm not alone and this is why many people recommend it. Perhaps you are the issue maybe?

To come on here and bash the people that took the time to provide you some advice is just wrong and disrespectful.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
I think YosefAugers is having a bad day, he also flamend the Firebird stratos thread today and I quote:

I was under the apparently mistaken impression that "Beginner Training Area" meant this was for, well, beginners.

It appears that I was wrong and far more advanced RC pilots are posting here with content that I, being a newbie/beginner, can't even begin to understand.

I'm heading back to my blog (here) to continue to document my "fits and starts" learning to fly.

If there are really any "beginners" buying the stratos and want to talk about beginner stuff with it, that's where you can find me.

So long and good luck, but, well, advanced pilots like those of you recently posting about how great you are flying a beginner's plane don't need luck, do you?
Last edited by RTF Thumper; Apr 29, 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: changed my mind
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

By the way... The plane won't just fall apart in mid air. You have to crash it in order to do damage. What exactly do you think would be a better plane for crashing? Maybe you should buy a 104" balsa plane??
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
Just hold up a minute buddy.
-Colin
Who the hell do you think you are eh? Asking a question and expecting an answer? Who the **&^%$ HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
[QUOTE=Kimber;21469759]If you use this wheel, you need to solder a bushing to the axle, it is too small
and too short for the wheel.

Brad had to get a little fancy with his, but you can use a collar like normal
people do.

What no saftey wire??? FAA will not aprove!! Tell brad nice thinking outside of the box!
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
My new FunCub, it's a modified version, very rigid wing with no dihedral, it's a good aerobatic trainer now, plenty of power to do loops, vertical rolls, knife edge, torque rolls.... and night flying !

I use an Hyperion 3009-20 brushless with zippy 3s2200 30c and apc 12"x6" or 12x3,8".

HS-65 MG on ailerons and elev/rudd, Towerpro MG-90 for flaps

Flaps 0/45/90, I want to try 0/20/40.
Back to the FunCub...

Great work Z. That zero dihedral really stands out even though there isn't much on a standard build. I would love to see a video of you night flying this thing (including loops, vertical rolls, knife edge & torque rolls).
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
My new FunCub, it's a modified version, very rigid wing with no dihedral, it's a good aerobatic trainer now, plenty of power to do loops, vertical rolls, knife edge, torque rolls.... and night flying !

I use an Hyperion 3009-20 brushless with zippy 3s2200 30c and apc 12"x6" or 12x3,8".

HS-65 MG on ailerons and elev/rudd, Towerpro MG-90 for flaps

Flaps 0/45/90, I want to try 0/20/40.
Very good looking cub! I love the lights
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Who the hell do you think you are eh? Asking a question and expecting an answer? Who the **&^%$ HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?
Are YOU for real........Thats it no more feeding the troll for me. I thought you were sticking to your BLOG Blogo
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
Well my Fun Cub is on it's way! I can't wait I cant wait.........is it here yet? this week is going to be slow
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Haha
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
Well my Fun Cub is on it's way! I can't wait I cant wait.........is it here yet? this week is going to be slow
I know the feeling!! I was about to come out of my pants i was so anxious to get my funcub :P
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
IMHO it is one of the best planes I have and the best fitting kit I have ever built. I have 11 planes 7 of wich I built. Had a crash today flying inverted 10 feet off the deck. got lucky only knocked afew things loose.