HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
I have never had one come loose and i just hold prop to tighten.
Quote:
I think your good with the hxt900 throws, that's what I'm using with no problems.
That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks guys.
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Man... what a day. I finally got my maiden in on this bird but it was filled with lots of drama and a comedy of errors. I took it out early this morning for a maiden and it just wasn't meant to be. First of all, my tail wheel was just not installed very well (this is an obvious weak point of this model in my opinion) and I also forgot to put a dab of glue on the nuts that hold the swivel connectors onto the flap control horns. I didn't even get off the ground before the pushrod came out. DOH!

So I went back home, fixed that issue and epoxied that stupid tail wheel wire DEEP into the rudder. It's not coming out even if I want it to now. So I'm all set. Head back out (in 15 mph winds) to try again. Take off is great, she's flying without a single click of trim. Beautiful!! Just taking it easy, did a few rolls, flew her inverted, and then went for a loop. TONS of vibration ensued and the canopy hatch flies off. I brought her in for a landing and went looking for the canopy hatch. I wasn't successful.

So I figured I fly again and see how things went. As I was taking off I get this MASSIVE vibration in the motor area again. WTH?? It was so violent that the wheel collar vibrated off and my wheel and several parts go scattering across the runway.

Long story short (and after much experimenting to isolate the problem)... I apparently never glued the front of the fuse halves together. What was happening was that as the prop pushed enough air over the fuse it would eventually start spreading apart. As I did this it would cause the fuse to rub the motor which caused all SORTS of havoc.

So I got that fixed, flew her again (without a canopy hatch) and FINALLY had a great and successful flight. Now I just need a new canopy hatch and some more decals (so I can replace the window sticker). BUT... I will say that this plane is a joy to fly. I'd say that overall it has exceeded my expectations. I love being able to hover a Super Cub. I mean it just seems ridiculous but it's fun and funny to watch!!

Landing on paved surfaces is tricky to say the least but I'm looking forward to putting it in more rugged conditions where it's meant to be anyway. I'll take it out again tomorrow and I'll get some video. I can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this plane though!

It was just a long frustrating day (especially because I had other family committments that wouldn't allow me to do all of this at one time... so I had to sit there and think about my issues all afternoon! )!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Losing the hatch stinks! If it makes you feel better on my maiden the prop flew off, glided her in. There had to be a defect in the collet as I cranked it on. I have never even tried to land it on pavement, no need. I even have a huge open parking lot! Glad you finally got to ring her out. I know what you mean, I stew over issues forever until I figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Man... what a day. I finally got my maiden in on this bird but it was filled with lots of drama and a comedy of errors. I took it out early this morning for a maiden and it just wasn't meant to be. First of all, my tail wheel was just not installed very well (this is an obvious weak point of this model in my opinion) and I also forgot to put a dab of glue on the nuts that hold the swivel connectors onto the flap control horns. I didn't even get off the ground before the pushrod came out. DOH!

So I went back home, fixed that issue and epoxied that stupid tail wheel wire DEEP into the rudder. It's not coming out even if I want it to now. So I'm all set. Head back out (in 15 mph winds) to try again. Take off is great, she's flying without a single click of trim. Beautiful!! Just taking it easy, did a few rolls, flew her inverted, and then went for a loop. TONS of vibration ensued and the canopy hatch flies off. I brought her in for a landing and went looking for the canopy hatch. I wasn't successful.

So I figured I fly again and see how things went. As I was taking off I get this MASSIVE vibration in the motor area again. WTH?? It was so violent that the wheel collar vibrated off and my wheel and several parts go scattering across the runway.

Long story short (and after much experimenting to isolate the problem)... I apparently never glued the front of the fuse halves together. What was happening was that as the prop pushed enough air over the fuse it would eventually start spreading apart. As I did this it would cause the fuse to rub the motor which caused all SORTS of havoc.

So I got that fixed, flew her again (without a canopy hatch) and FINALLY had a great and successful flight. Now I just need a new canopy hatch and some more decals (so I can replace the window sticker). BUT... I will say that this plane is a joy to fly. I'd say that overall it has exceeded my expectations. I love being able to hover a Super Cub. I mean it just seems ridiculous but it's fun and funny to watch!!

Landing on paved surfaces is tricky to say the least but I'm looking forward to putting it in more rugged conditions where it's meant to be anyway. I'll take it out again tomorrow and I'll get some video. I can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this plane though!

It was just a long frustrating day (especially because I had other family committments that wouldn't allow me to do all of this at one time... so I had to sit there and think about my issues all afternoon! )!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I don;t usually fly off ashpalt with mine, but in calm conditions, the plane gets light enough pretty quick with 80% flaps. Landing on asphalt was just as easy. But grass is fun this time of year....The dandelion killer! Glad you enjoy yours as much as I do.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Losing the hatch stinks! If it makes you feel better on my maiden the prop flew off, glided her in. There had to be a defect in the collet as I cranked it on. I have never even tried to land it on pavement, no need. I even have a huge open parking lot! Glad you finally got to ring her out. I know what you mean, I stew over issues forever until I figure it out.
Yea... Once it's in my head I can't quit thinking about it until I get it figured out!

I just ordered a new hatch and the latches as I'm assuming they won't come with the hatch. I can't find any sticker spares in stock. Sucks to have to order a new sticker set for ONE window sticker! LOL!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:05 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea... Once it's in my head I can't quit thinking about it until I get it figured out!

I just ordered a new hatch and the latches as I'm assuming they won't come with the hatch. I can't find any sticker spares in stock. Sucks to have to order a new sticker set for ONE window sticker! LOL!
As big as a bummer it was at first it could have been a lot, lot worse!
We've all thought at one time or another everything was perfect, tested, and re-tested, and then disaster. My 3d profile was setup and ready to go, I was positive it was A-1. Tossed it up on maiden and she went out and down into the ground, WTH. Broke it half. Went home and glued it back together, went back, checked everything 3 times, tossed it and the same result.

Then I sat back and went over every control over and over and then realized that the elevator goes up when the stick is pulled back, not DOWN!

A stupid mistake but I just kept convincing myself that what I was seeing was correct. So well done getting it sorted out and a good flight under your belt. The FC is a winner
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
As big as a bummer it was at first it could have been a lot, lot worse!
We've all thought at one time or another everything was perfect, tested, and re-tested, and then disaster. My 3d profile was setup and ready to go, I was positive it was A-1. Tossed it up on maiden and she went out and down into the ground, WTH. Broke it half. Went home and glued it back together, went back, checked everything 3 times, tossed it and the same result.

Then I sat back and went over every control over and over and then realized that the elevator goes up when the stick is pulled back, not DOWN!

A stupid mistake but I just kept convincing myself that what I was seeing was correct. So well done getting it sorted out and a good flight under your belt. The FC is a winner
Blu
LOL! I've made that exact same error before. Did it witch my Crack Yak just recently. Doh!!

Anyone see any real issues with flying without the canopy latch?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Bluhammer, I had a very similar experience... Built my first kit, screwed up the control surface directions, and broke it in half on the first flight. I never even got that model to the field before hangar rash broke off a pushrod, so it went from bad to worse. Glad to see I am not alone.

I think there are some mistakes in this hobby that you just have to make once...
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaster78 View Post
I have made another video and hope you enjoy it as mutch as my other one Thanks joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz86...Mtm_vdrbwAs%3D

Well done joemaster! Thanks for sharing.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
New funcub!

Hey guys! I just recieved my funcub kit today! I would like as much help as possible as to nessesary mods before i assemble... as iv heard that the motor mount can wreak havoc and all sorts of trauma... So I want to make sure that doesnt happen! haha :P I need as much info as possible before i begin my build as to aid me in the proccess.. Im no beginner, but this airplane is new to me, and its always good to consult the guys who know the most about this bird! So any help and or comments would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
Colin
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,727 Posts
Fun Cub w_12x6 VESS.MP4 (10 min 59 sec)
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Smooth not Shaky
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Nov 2011
51 Posts
Hey Jake

Great flying and glad to see that the 12x6 Vess worked out so well for you, 11:00 min. flight. Very impressive! Your field looks like a fun place to fly, a bit windy tho. from the sounds of the video. The FC seemed to like it and the hover ended out to be a sideways drift. Ten Thumbs up

Dick!
EFlapper is offline Find More Posts by EFlapper
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:16 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Well after those last two videos I guess I won't be posting any of mine, I'd be too embarrassed! Nice work guys.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:07 AM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
Yes those last two videos are awesome I so want one now. all my planes don't like wind and I see this one can
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by del-dredd View Post
you can always file a flat on each side of the prop driver to use a spanner.
I have never had one come loose and i just hold prop to tighten.
Ensure shaft is oil free and clean for good grip.
++1
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol