SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycashley View Post
i'll try it, thanks for the tip. I tried putting the blue painters tape on my pants and it pulled my pants off. I'll never trust that prof guy again.
lol
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:52 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Got a link to the after market mount? I found a few classified ads for them but the threads are all closed.
HeadsupRC carries two aluminum mounts. One is a Hitec and the other is made by Sotog.

Page link: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lex/Categories
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson View Post
A power 10 & 11x5.5 APC prop gives unlimited vertical, cruises at 1/3 power, and 10+ minutes of sport flight on a 3S 2200mah pack. Not kidding, measured on a watch.
Robert . . . did you experiment with other props on the power 10? Did the 12x6 draw too many amps? Finishing mine up but haven't decided on a prop. Also have the floats coming if that makes a difference in your answer. Thanks!
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
HeadsupRC carries two aluminum mounts. One is a Hitec and the other is made by Sotog.

Thanks. I'll probably just go ahead and get this from the start.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Man that was awesome! Those videos sold it for me... I think this is just what I'm looking for. I mainly fly 3D but sometimes I just want something fun to play around with and this looks like just the ticket as it will also allow me to mess around with hovers and KE and even rollers I see. Pretty sweet!
Turner you will love it, I have seen your work with the Beast. This is VERY relaxing and fly low and slow! Handles some wind as well! Definitely going out with me almost every time! Got some parachute to hook to the tow release for a drop for my son!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:47 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,780 Posts
Thanks thumper! Love your idea I used to drop cheapo lighters from my e starter and they would really make some noise and a good little flame! Too much fun!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Turner you will love it, I have seen your work with the Beast. This is VERY relaxing and fly low and slow! Handles some wind as well! Definitely going out with me almost every time! Got some parachute to hook to the tow release for a drop for my son!
Thanks man! I can't wait to put this one through its paces!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:14 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
Robert . . . did you experiment with other props on the power 10? Did the 12x6 draw too many amps? Finishing mine up but haven't decided on a prop. Also have the floats coming if that makes a difference in your answer. Thanks!
The 11x5.5 draws about 37A, and, having flown many planes, I think it feels like the sweet spot. Given its pull, I'm sure it will work fine for water takeoffs. (I fly it's bigger brother, the Mentor off water.)
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Woo hoo! Just ordered everything I need. I hope to have it up and running by this weekend.

Any tips on the build or is it pretty straight forward?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:53 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson View Post
The 11x5.5 draws about 37A, and, having flown many planes, I think it feels like the sweet spot. Given its pull, I'm sure it will work fine for water takeoffs. (I fly it's bigger brother, the Mentor off water.)
Thanks Robert. Are you using APC electric prop or something different? That's usually what I use as the LHS keeps a good selection in stock.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:20 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post

I have the one from Sotog it is Great a must have to move up in performance.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:25 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Woo hoo! Just ordered everything I need. I hope to have it up and running by this weekend.

Any tips on the build or is it pretty straight forward?
The only tip I have is reef down hard on the motor mount screws, I mean put some German on them. I thought mine were tight and got a scary vilont vibration. put two more tuns on each and it was GOODANTIGHT. Also I use a DX6I so I had to cut a servo hole in the wing for my flap. Super easey and I have a pic on my blog if you need that lil mod.
Best Kit I have ever built and I have built 8 of my 12 planes
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:13 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
The only tip I have is reef down hard on the motor mount screws, I mean put some German on them. I thought mine were tight and got a scary vilont vibration. put two more tuns on each and it was GOODANTIGHT. Also I use a DX6I so I had to cut a servo hole in the wing for my flap. Super easey and I have a pic on my blog if you need that lil mod.
Best Kit I have ever built and I have built 8 of my 12 planes
Really really easy may need to servo reversing lead, but I did what Thumper did and just cut a new servo hole with my hobby knife. I used loctite (you can use a drop of CA as well) on the motor mount screws as the vibrations can make them work themselves loose. I used the numbers in the instructions for down and right thrust and it works great. I am also using the aluminum mount from headsuprc. If you have some LED"s you can place them in the fuse before you glue it together and it lights up the foam like crazy!

You will love this plane it is a blast to fly!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I have the one from Sotog it is Great a must have to move up in performance.
Thanks. I ordered the one from Sotog.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:24 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I have a DX8 but how is the DX6i different in terms of using flaps?

Are you guys using a Y connector for ailerons or plugging them into separate ports?