Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Yes, semi functional!

Kimber,

Nice looking gear. Did you make or buy it?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Waiting on weather now
Nice job Jim, she's a classic!
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:32 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Kimber,

Nice looking gear. Did you make or buy it?

Bill
Now I have been insulted!

We made it!
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Sounds great. What store did you get it at?
In the UK it's available from B&Q, a major hardware chain but it's also in most hobby stores. Part of my confusion was because most of the advice was from the US and most of those brands are hard to find here. I'm also a cheapskate!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFlapper View Post
Hi Jake

The subject motor is an Exceed Rocket 3020-950. If so and you want I'll check it out on the Fun Cub is that's where you want to use it.

Dick
Yeah that's what I have and before you sad I could use a 12" prop. Thanks.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
In the UK it's available from B&Q, a major hardware chain but it's also in most hobby stores. Part of my confusion was because most of the advice was from the US and most of those brands are hard to find here. I'm also a cheapskate!
I found it. I can order online if I can't find it in a store. The Estes spray I used gets pulled off very easly and isn't very thick at all so you can easly see where the stickers and tape used to be.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Now I have been insulted!

We made it!
Impressive. Take a bow.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Dumb question?

I need to increase my aileron throws. The control horns have no options and my control rods are already out to the end of the servo arms.

Do I have to replace the servo arms with longer ones (a major pain), or can I safely increase my HXT900 servo throws beyond 100%
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
Smooth not Shaky
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Nov 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Yeah that's what I have and before you sad I could use a 12" prop. Thanks.

Sadly the Vess website does not give out some critical data on their Props. My software needs data on Power multiplier and Thrust multiplier (of the prop) to determine how much power and thrust the Propeller produces.
So I have to backward engineer the results to obtain the data. Either I or you need to set it up in static and using a watts up (or equivocal) meter and measure the watts, volts, and amps consumed and RPM produced by the motor/prop combo.
I know that once you measure this combo you will know right away if it is a safe to use combo and may think that's enough. But, you may also want know how much thrust it actually produces and be able to predict the climb rate of your Fun Cub using different Vess prop diameters and pitches.
Once I have that data I can use it to calculate any Vess prop's output.

Make sense ??
Dick
EFlapper is offline Find More Posts by EFlapper
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
I would increase past 100% before changing the arms unless you have real short arms or something. Just double check your throws with a gauge afterwards and don't assume that both servos ended up increasing the same. It varies depending on if you used sub trim and how much to center your servos. As a general rule I mechanically center everything as much as possible and then use the radio to fine tune. I think that comes from the helicopter world.

Sometimes really long arms get the geometry of the control rod way out of whack and can be tough on servos. Just my 2 cents.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
I would increase past 100% before changing the arms unless you have real short arms or something. Just double check your throws with a gauge afterwards and don't assume that both servos ended up increasing the same. It varies depending on if you used sub trim and how much to center your servos. As a general rule I mechanically center everything as much as possible and then use the radio to fine tune. I think that comes from the helicopter world.

Sometimes really long arms get the geometry of the control rod way out of whack and can be tough on servos. Just my 2 cents.
Very good post!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Dick. Sorry for the trouble, man. I didn't mean for you to have to try to find the best vess prop. I just order edit because it was cheap and had big paddles.

I'll fly it tomarrow. I'm not looking for the optimum prop now that I know the motor isn't junk and can make the plane do what I want. I just want the same thrust from a wood prop that the 12-6E gave me. I didn't want to order a 13" vessso I took the next step down

Results from the 11-7 tomarrow

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post

Thanks, that was painless! I adjusted the throws for 135% and now up is close to 30mm from 22mm. That should improve those rolls a lot
Blu
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
A Double Maiden

Bowsonn and I got her done, all I can say is WoW what a great plane.
Rember theses are maiden flights in stiff wind. The planesd are high and the vids will get better.
31 Mar 12 Maiden of Two Fun Cubs.wmv (4 min 46 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I've been reading up on the safe paint types for Elapor and became totally confused.I So I bit the bullet and after cleaning thoroughly with kitchen spray cleaner and a good rinse and dry I sprayed a small strip inside the canopy with 'Plasti-kote' fast dry rattle can enamel. Two coats gave a fairly good gloss cover spraying from about 10". I left it to cure for 24hrs then gave it a polish with spray can silicon furniture polish. I've stuck various sticky tapes, blue masking, HD parcel, insulating etc., and all have removed without lifting the paint. Cheap and cheerful worked for me, maybe it won't for you!

You can also use Holts duplicolor acrylic car paints, which I think are the same as the Krylon often mentioned here. A good preparation on the elapor foam is IPA - Iso propyl alcohol.

You will also find the Plasticote clear laquer very good for sealing the paint. I used it on top of the Holts paint with great success.
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman