HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:10 AM
Gravity Test in Progress
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
I fly JR/Spektrum DSMX and trust my 25%, 33%, 40%, and 50% planes to DSMX. And all the other ones, too!

"Brown outs" were only with the very first DSM and early DSM2 (v1.2). They fixed that many years ago. It wasn't that low voltage was the problem, it had to do with the reboot time. DSM2 (v1.6) fixed that with millisecond reboot time. DSMX doesn't have this problem (and some receivers do not blink brownout, they record "holds").

Many people who crash later hook up their receiver to find it blinking (brownout warning) and assume that was the "cause" of the crash. However, the receiver is only recording low voltage when the battery, ESC, or wiring got shredded in the crash. My Parkmaster 3D used digital servos which over-amped the BEC every flight, causing low voltage, and "brownout" warning light. It did that for several hundred flights! I never lost signal or crashed! I should have used a seperate BEC. I would rather know and fix it.

I have flown Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, JR, Spectrum, Ace, Tower, Hobby Lobby, and no brand radios. I choose to fly JR/Spectrum X9503's because they are the best.
off topic...
.Steve is offline Find More Posts by .Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:25 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
What setup do you have in your Fun Cub KaiWE?

Has anyone gone 4S with the FC? I'm sure people have, but I'm just curious to know how it handles with another cell thrown into the mix.
The standard power pack: Himax HC3516-0840, Castle Creations Thunderbird 36 ESC and APC 13 x 4E propeller (Have tried a 12x6, but prefer the 13x4...)

Gives me a a top speed about 50-55 mph and more than enough low end grunt to pull me out of trouble
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
I fly JR/Spektrum DSMX and trust my 25%, 33%, 40%, and 50% planes to DSMX. And all the other ones, too!

"Brown outs" were only with the very first DSM and early DSM2 (v1.2). They fixed that many years ago. It wasn't that low voltage was the problem, it had to do with the reboot time. DSM2 (v1.6) fixed that with millisecond reboot time. DSMX doesn't have this problem (and some receivers do not blink brownout, they record "holds")...
You clearly understand what a brownout is but are confusing it with another issue. A brownout is by definition when voltage to the receiver drops below 3 volts I think is the correct number. If the problem is bad enough it certainly can cause a crash. The problem is not a defect in the receiver but a limit of the BEC in the speed control.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Got my New shaft and prop adapter in today!! But it's raining. I guess I'll just get wet lol
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
FunCub Crash !?

FunCub RC from Multiplex. Crash?!! (2 min 42 sec)
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,430 Posts
Interesting terrain. Where is that?
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Unregistered User
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am getting a lot of vibration running a collet type prop adapter on the Fun Cub. I get less vibration if I put on a prop saver.

I know I have read on this thread that some get a little vibration from the plastic motor mount on the Cub. Will the aluminum faceplate motor mount solve the problem, or do I need to put in a whole different mount system?

I am running an inexpensive Hobby King motor, NTM Prop Drive 34-42 1000kv, and suspect that might also contribute to the vibrations.

Have a great day flying!

Bowsonn
bowsonn is offline Find More Posts by bowsonn
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsonn View Post
Hey Guys,

I am getting a lot of vibration running a collet type prop adapter on the Fun Cub. I get less vibration if I put on a prop saver.

I know I have read on this thread that some get a little vibration from the plastic motor mount on the Cub. Will the aluminum faceplate motor mount solve the problem, or do I need to put in a whole different mount system?

I am running an inexpensive Hobby King motor, NTM Prop Drive 34-42 1000kv, and suspect that might also contribute to the vibrations.

Have a great day flying!

Bowsonn
Since we don't know for sure what's causing your vibrations, we can't guarantee that this will fix your specific problem, but the aluminum faceplate, made by "Sotog" on RCGroups (website Smallpartscnc.com) will help with a known vibration issue.

A lot of us, myself included, just put that plate in to start with and have never even installed the stock plastic mount. I've not had any vibration problems.

Give it a try! Here's the link:

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=54

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Multiplex Fun Cub

I finally finished building my Multiplex Fun Cub and it only took me around a month...lol
It was a challenge to me because I never built a RC plane kit before. Everything came out pretty good because Multiplex makes great kits that fit together good. I decided to paint it all yellow to see it better in the sky to. I will give her the maiden flight next week if calm sky's prevail. I have read all I can about this plane including the correct CG (70) and a good balanced prop. Well wish me luck and hope everything goes well next week.
tenrozzero is offline Find More Posts by tenrozzero
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrozzero View Post
I finally finished building my Multiplex Fun Cub and it only took me around a month...lol
It was a challenge to me because I never built a RC plane kit before. Everything came out pretty good because Multiplex makes great kits that fit together good. I decided to paint it all yellow to see it better in the sky to. I will give her the maiden flight next week if calm sky's prevail. I have read all I can about this plane including the correct CG (70) and a good balanced prop. Well wish me luck and hope everything goes well next week.
What kind of paint did you use? It looks great! We want to do yours in yellow
as well. With the traditional Cub stripes.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Unregistered User
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Since we don't know for sure what's causing your vibrations, we can't guarantee that this will fix your specific problem, but the aluminum faceplate, made by "Sotog" on RCGroups (website Smallpartscnc.com) will help with a known vibration issue.

A lot of us, myself included, just put that plate in to start with and have never even installed the stock plastic mount. I've not had any vibration problems.

Give it a try! Here's the link:

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=54

Bob

Chairwolf,

Thanks for the reply, I will get mine from Sotog, and hope that will dampen the vibrations.

Thanks again,

Bowsonn
bowsonn is offline Find More Posts by bowsonn
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
I wish I had never went with spektrum, not I cant afford to switch over.

I've only had one brown out, but it was on a breand new 50cc Edge that went in after 5 min of flight time on the maiden...total loss

After that I started reading stuff and none of it is good and spektrum knows about it all and has done little to nothing about it. If it werent for the neat little BNF UM's Spektrum would be DEAD and gone a long time ago!

I'll never fly a plane on spektrum that cost more than the radio now...
What I am seeing is you have only ever had ONE crash that you could blame on spektrum, with very little chance that it was actualy the radio.....
A plane going in on the maiden.... that happens fairly often... When someone has been using spektrum for years without issue, then suddenly with a BRAND NEW setup they have a crash, how much sense does it make to blame it on the radio? Were you using servos that you had been using without issue for years? how about the batteries on the plane? etc etc... there is so much stuff that can go wrong on an untested setup, the radio is the LEAST likley candidate.

Yes you will read about a LOT more people having problems with spektrum, but thats because a LOT more people USE spektrum..... And I think people are a lot quicker to blame the radio when someone crashes with spektrum than other brands "oh, you are using spektrum? they suck, thats why you crashed...."

I have been using spektrum for over 6 years without a single problem, vs the 3 times in 3 years I had issue with 72Mhz.....

It sucks your lost your plane, but considering the facts, its silly to blame the radio....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
What kind of paint did you use? It looks great! We want to do yours in yellow
as well. With the traditional Cub stripes.
I use Badger water based acrylic with my airbrush, I like it a lot.
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Put the new shaft in and flew the go again. It's still got a big vibration problem above half throttle. It had gone away for the two full flights I got in before the shaft went but even with the same, balanced and undamaged prop it's doing it again. Nothing is loose or unglued so idk whats up now. The shaft is secure and the new adapter is strait. I'll try the old adapter again and with a wooden prop. The lhs gave me a 10x6 wood nitro prop I'll try for kicks next too.
It ran out of elevator when I landed and hot kinda hard and the plastic gear holder broke in half. Can I get a new one or replace it with something so I can still use the stock gear??
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Interesting terrain. Where is that?
Just put the coordinates in Google Maps 45.164855,28.848504
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator