HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,628 Posts
I didn't hear about that. Got a link? I have one on a 50cc!!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:03 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
We ordered one today, with the power package.

How do you paint it? Latex? We want the traditional
Cub look.

Are the flaps easy to do?
You can use the stock servo pods if you use a separate channel for each flap. Then you don't need a servo reverser or servo surgery, just a TX that will do this. You set the flap channel as the 'master' and the other channel with the 2nd flap on it as the 'slave' so they both operate from the 1 flap switch. It might sound complicated, but it's really not. It's a one-time setup, and then it's done.

That's how I set mine up.

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Last edited by Chairwolf; Mar 22, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:52 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
I didn't hear about that. Got a link? I have one on a 50cc!!
INSTALLATION BEST PRACTICES

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Experience...Practices.aspx
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Smooth not Shaky
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Nov 2011
51 Posts
Another option is to use the HK revers-er and slow down control which will give you scale like action. It's cheap. works very good and is very cool. I am finally getting some time to finish my FC. I will post pictures soon. It will be a FPV platform as soon as I decide on which system to use.
EFlapper is offline Find More Posts by EFlapper
Last edited by EFlapper; Mar 22, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
Hi to all Fun Cub flyers.

I've been debating for a while now as to which model I should go for next. And, with my birthday coming up in May I thought it would be an ideal time to drop a few hints to my GF beforehand.

Well, the debate is now over and I've decided that my next plane is going to be a Fun Cub.

The main responsibility for this decision lies upon the shoulders of KaiWe and Dropkickjohnny with their most recent videos of their FC's flying low and slow; just the type of flying that I love!

So, thanks guys.

Look forward to joining you all properly in the next couple of months.

Steve.
Well, I have no trouble bearing responsibility for that decision of yours, Steve
I'm quite sure that you will have lots and lots of fun flying the FC!

And btw, the flying in my video was not that slow, I was flying with only 40 degrees flaps - had not flown in that location before and I was standing on a hill flying below me most of the time, also something I had not done before, soo I played it safe... Only to bad that the videocamera ran out of battery just when I was beginning to fly a bit more "advanced" - had a couple of nice slow knife edge passes just after the video stops
My EagleThree logger with GPS told me that my top speed in that session was 84.7km/h, but that was after the camera shut down...

And the bonus - got 20 minutes in the air pr. 2200mAh battery flying like that

Greetings from Norway
KaiWE
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Last edited by KaiWE; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Sounds great KaiWe.

Really looking forward to getting my FC but it will be a while yet (about 2 months until my birthday). I have a spare Rx, some 2200mah lipo's and some servo's but I will need to get a suitable motor, prop and ESC.

However, I will pop into my LHS and place an order, and when it arrives it will be held for me. So when my GF asks me " What would you like for your birthday?" I can reply and say " There's a lovely plane in the model shop that I'd really like, and I promise it will be the last one for a while"

Well, that's the plan.....just have to wait and see what transpires.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhammer View Post
tail wheel is the the biggest pita.
+ 1
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Definitely do not use a Y reverser with a Spektrum radio. After I splatted an Edf's on the runway with a reverse installed on one elevon I found the tech bulletin from Spektrum.
That is too bad. They work fine with my Hitec gear. Just got a DX7s for use with all the BNF planes and helis I bought the last six months. Fortunately they don't need the Y reverser/slowdown unit. I will keep that in mind in the future. Thanks Prof!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That is too bad. They work fine with my Hitec gear. Just got a DX7s for use with all the BNF planes and helis I bought the last six months. Fortunately they don't need the Y reverser/slowdown unit. I will keep that in mind in the future. Thanks Prof!

Gord
Gord,

I should have saved the link to the Spektrum site but did not. It was clear that Spektrum radios and reversers are not a good idea.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,628 Posts
I wish I had never went with spektrum, not I cant afford to switch over.

I've only had one brown out, but it was on a breand new 50cc Edge that went in after 5 min of flight time on the maiden...total loss

After that I started reading stuff and none of it is good and spektrum knows about it all and has done little to nothing about it. If it werent for the neat little BNF UM's Spektrum would be DEAD and gone a long time ago!

I'll never fly a plane on spektrum that cost more than the radio now...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,399 Posts
Quote:
...After that I started reading stuff and none of it is good and spektrum knows about it all and has done little to nothing about it..
What do you really expect them to do about people who do not properly select and install the proper equipment. I use Spektrum gear and have never had a brownout.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,628 Posts
You shouldn't be limited on the kind of gear you want to use such as Ys and such. I've always had good luck, but when you loose $1500 on a maiden when everything in the airplane WAS correct and adequate. There was no reason for it to brown out. Noone else flying. No other kind of interference like radio towers or power lines. No battery failure or internal component interference. I went over every price of that airplane trying to figure it out and it was all fine and checked out on the ground. It was used and flew originally on futaba with no problems. As soon as I put spektrum on it it kills itself.
No granted there are those who use old packs that don't give adequit voltage or don't install the rx correctly or what not but when they tell you that electronic Ys can interfear and cause failure when no other 2.4 has these issiues then it needs attention and a fix. Not just notices on a website and adendums to manuals.
But I'm not here to start a war, lol

For parkies and UMs and upto 40-60 size birds spektrum is fine.

Now how about that fun cub, eh?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
Well, I have no trouble bearing responsibility for that decision of yours, Steve
I'm quite sure that you will have lots and lots of fun flying the FC!

And btw, the flying in my video was not that slow, I was flying with only 40 degrees flaps - had not flown in that location before and I was standing on a hill flying below me most of the time, also something I had not done before, soo I played it safe... Only to bad that the videocamera ran out of battery just when I was beginning to fly a bit more "advanced" - had a couple of nice slow knife edge passes just after the video stops
My EagleThree logger with GPS told me that my top speed in that session was 84.7km/h, but that was after the camera shut down...

And the bonus - got 20 minutes in the air pr. 2200mAh battery flying like that

Greetings from Norway
KaiWE
What setup do you have in your Fun Cub KaiWE?

Has anyone gone 4S with the FC? I'm sure people have, but I'm just curious to know how it handles with another cell thrown into the mix.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:09 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,399 Posts
Quote:
You shouldn't be limited on the kind of gear you want to use such as Ys and such. I've always had good luck, but when you loose $1500 on a maiden when everything in the airplane WAS correct and adequate. There was no reason for it to brown out...
If you had a brownout, then by definition, everything was not correct. Brownout means that there was not adequate voltage to the receiver.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
746 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:46 PM.