HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
First of all, thank you for the praise on the mod, but I simplified my version off of Woody_99's mod.

:
I put together a different Multiplex plane a while back, and on that one tweaked the landing gear a bit too. Pretty much the same as your version, with right angles instead of a bow for the added support. I like your idea of the hard wall tubing on the top too. Might add some support, but still be somewhat flexable.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
357 Posts
For those of you wondering about motors I have a little info for you.

I have a hobbypartz motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb26-rocket-3020-990kv.html
it has unlimited vert. with an 11x7 prop. I thought I would test it with an 13x4 prop with handy hobbyking tester. With a 3s 2200mah 20c sky lipo I got 315 watts at 32 amps. Not bad!!! Just for kicks i thought I'd try a 4s battery. I got 780 watts at 52 amps before the motor pulled right out of the plane and the shaft broke and prop went 25 different ways. Looks like an easy fix but scary.
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
For those of you wondering about motors I have a little info for you.

I have a hobbypartz motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb26-rocket-3020-990kv.html
it has unlimited vert. with an 11x7 prop. I thought I would test it with an 13x4 prop with handy hobbyking tester. With a 3s 2200mah 20c sky lipo I got 315 watts at 32 amps. Not bad!!! Just for kicks i thought I'd try a 4s battery. I got 780 watts at 52 amps before the motor pulled right out of the plane and the shaft broke and prop went 25 different ways. Looks like an easy fix but scary.
Yikes!!
Note to self on what not to do. I have a heck of a time with the 13" prop anyway. Seems the tips are highly attracted to earth.

If you don't have a spare shaft, you can make one from a Blade 400 main shaft. (solid version, some are hollow) You don't need the retainer clip. Been running that for a while with no problem.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
& #@$ it, Dude. Let's go flyin
United States, NH
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
Hi All,

Ive been reading this thread for awhile now and finally purchased my Fun Cub last week. Got her all together, but I ran into a funky problem when I tried testing the motor. Here is what happened:

Motor problem (0 min 16 sec)

Bad motor? Bad ESC? Bad mojo?

P.S. Motor is Emax GT2812/10 ESC TURNIGY Sentry 60amp
dropkickjohnny is offline Find More Posts by dropkickjohnny
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkickjohnny View Post
Hi All,

Ive been reading this thread for awhile now and finally purchased my Fun Cub last week. Got her all together, but I ran into a funky problem when I tried testing the motor. Here is what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22UKJ17GXk

Bad motor? Bad ESC? Bad mojo?

P.S. Motor is Emax GT2812/10 ESC TURNIGY Sentry 60amp
First off, that's an outrunner so you really don't want to lay it out loose on a table and apply power. If it was working it would bounce around like crazy and maybe rip out the motor leads.

That said, check you solder joints and connections. If OK, try a different, know good, ESC. If still no good contact the seller of the motor. All this assumes the motor is new and has not be abused due to over propping in its previous application.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
& #@$ it, Dude. Let's go flyin
United States, NH
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
Before you start changing parts...

1. Mount motor properly in plane (never run motor without prop and never unmounted)

2. Install recommended prop securely

3. test run motor again.

Sometimes, cheap ESC's are expecting some propeller mass to get them rotating. If that doesn't solve the problem, bad ESC or broken wire in motor.
Done that multiple times, I wanted to get the motor out of the plane for the video so people could see what was going on. It does the same exact thing with the motor mounted to the plane with a prop on it
dropkickjohnny is offline Find More Posts by dropkickjohnny
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Or to test if it is truly the motor, try a known, good ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Regular medium CA is best for assembly. "Glassing" is done using an epoxy finishing resin.
Thanks 100Proof!!.....I appreciate the help, and some people (like me) really need help

What's the proper name and where do I get this "finishing resin"
......Or can I just saturate the thin (3/4oz - 21g) fiberglass cloth with ParFix 200 medium CA that I got from Heads Up?

Thanks Again,
Andy
Grits is offline Find More Posts by Grits
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Thanks 100Proof!!.....I appreciate the help, and some people (like me) really need help

What's the proper name and where do I get this "finishing resin"
......Or can I just saturate the thin (3/4oz - 21g) fiberglass cloth with ParFix 200 medium CA that I got from Heads Up?

Thanks Again,
Andy
Andy,

No to the CA, it doesn't work well as reinforcing resin. Below is a typical finishing resin.

Tower Hobbies sells it and so does Amazon.com. About $14.

"FEATURES: Pacer's Finishing Resin system is specially formulated to bond
fiberglass to wood and foam.
Resistant to shock and solvents and is odorless.
This Epoxy is resistant to shock and solvents, is non-brittle, easy
to sand and has flow characteristics.
The total working time of this Resin is 60 minutes, and fully
cures in 3 Hours completely clear.

INCLUDES: One 6oz Bottle of Hardener
One 6oz Bottle of Resin"
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 17, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I use ZPoxy, works well. I does turn a yellow color if left unpainted.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Gravity Test in Progress
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
OSD? call me dumb if u want
what the hell is all that your trying to kram into this poor thing
Your not dumb, there are just too many acronyms in life! It stands for "On-Screen Display". What it does is take the video output from a camera and overlays information from various parameters onto the video image.
So you then connect the video output from the OSD to a transmitter and broadcast it back to you on the ground where you can see it on a monitor or goggles with small view screens in them so that you can see the view from an onboard camera.

If you have heard or seen the acronym "FPV" this is what they are doing, watching the view from a camera and flying the plane through the camera vision. "First Person View" is the full name and unfortunately too many people are using it irresponsibly thinking it is okay to fly the model out of sight or doing stupid things like flying over people, cars, down city streets just above peoples heads. People are turning their models into UAV's. I cannot justify flying a model 1-4 miles away out of your sight just because you can.
The irony to that statement is the system I am putting in can fly from start engine to one of 8 selected waypoints or navigate to each way point to another waypoint and return to circle above point of origin. If you think about failure with your Tx or Rx the model will automatically fly back to you if lose signal.

Don't get me wrong here, used intelligently for fun it is AWESOME to play with.
In my case it is more for seeing the view from a camera as I take photos of landscapes. Some of these systems are now military capable systems for very little money.

I wish I was in this guy's location!
EasyStar - FPV 1 immersion - GoPro (4 min 0 sec)
.Steve is offline Find More Posts by .Steve
Last edited by .Steve; Feb 17, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
The lowpricrrc motor lomod suggested was out of stock fo I ordered a Exceed RC Rocket 86MB92-3020-950KV and 40c 2200 lipo
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake