HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:27 AM
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
I'll put in a vote for Radical Rc.

I cut the slot for the wires to the opening below and my ESC is mounted under the motor. Works fine so far. Six flights and an hour or so of air time so far.

Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:31 AM
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
It's time to start tweeking the airframe.

Questions:
Has anyone found it desirable to change the stock right and down thrust?

I was experimenting with elevator compensation for the flaps. Any suggestions for a starting point?

Thanks,
Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:14 AM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
-S-, my motor wires were also somewhat kinked so I elected to carve a small grove to give them a more relaxed path back to the ESC. I see no reason not to do this...your not removing much so the structure is not harmed, as near as I can tell anyway. I have about 15 flights so far and I see no issues from carving the groove.
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Vince, I haven't found a need to change the factory thrust angles...seems to me it's enough of both down and right so I'll leave it be

As for flaps I have also not found a need for flap to elevator coupling... At half flaps my nose gently pitches up a bit when first deployed and then settles back into level yet SLOWER flight with no inputs from me. At full flaps it's about the same...nose pitches slightly more but not bad, I do how ever make sure I'm a touch over half throttle as it will nearly STOP in mid air with less than half throttle and full 90 degree flaps.

John
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Would the Himax 3522-0700 <from the Cularis> fit the fun cub? Having never seen a fun cub in the flesh I have no idea how big/small it is.

Thanks

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Would the Himax 3522-0700 <from the Cularis> fit the fun cub? Having never seen a fun cub in the flesh I have no idea how big/small it is.

Based on these specs, yes it will fit. http://www.aeromicro.com/catalog/him...or_4556753.htm

The only problem I see is the weight... it's nearly DOUBLE what my Park 480 weights and I'm a bit nose heavy unless I shove the battery(3's 2200) way back... I could only get it maybe another inch to the rear before I blocked the cooling exit hole.

Another problem may be the prop... how big of a prop does it normally swing being 700Kv?

I'm pushing around 250W with my park 480 and feel no need for more power at ALL... if you get close to the 400W spec'd you'll have a 3D Funcub
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hungary
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
OK... I did it now I have to live with it...

The motor I wanted was out of stock so I bought the "next size up"

It physically fits in the Fuse without modification but the wires are a bit to close for comfort.

in the attached pic, I want to cut the foam out to match the path of the wires or a little below, menaing the wires will run though the airway path...

can anyone who has built one already think of a reason why I would not want to do that? It looks OK to me but being my first FC figured better safer to ask.

One a side note, this is my first MultiPlex kit, and my 5th build.

I am Super impressed with the quality and easy of assembly, everything I thought of that could be a problem worked itself out as I read. I am very impressed.

I suppose I already knew this as well, but had forgotten these birds are made in Germany, it is a relief to see something other than China on the box :-) - It would be nice if it was here in the states, but still...

I'm really loving it so far, simple enough for a semi-newbie and you can tell it was very very well thought out.

my 2 cents. - On with the pic. -S-
I"ve got a Hacker A30-14l on its nose.The situation was the same.I cut the foam to run the wires through the airway path without any hesitation
Perfect solution.
george2 is offline Find More Posts by george2
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I'm just looking to use something that I have already. I'm sure you guys know the drill.

I was thinking of loading the model up with LEDs to replace my long in the tooth night flyer. If the model is nose heavy a few more LEDs in the rear could cure that problem. Also I guess I could place the LED driver <BEC> into the rear for balance as well.

My hope was to use no less then a 12" prop. How's the clearance?

Tommy D
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
My hope was to use no less then a 12" prop. How's the clearance?

I run an APC 11x5.5 but a 12x_ is doable. You have plenty of cleareance... as long as you land well the gear is a bit... well... very soft and will splay out if you bounce it. I made a simple bungee X between the legs to stiffen up the gear just in case I goofed up the landing.

I used about an 1/8 inch black, round bungee cord material from a craft store. Tied it in a knot around one leg and streched it to the other leg in an X pattern so the gear are slightly pulled together unloaded. then used some small ziptie's above the knot and below to keep it from slipping around... leave a bit of a tail on the knot and put it under one of the zip ties for a better hold.

Loaded the gear has a normal stance... it still has some give as well but I'd have to SLAM into the ground for a prop strike
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Fair enough, sounds like what I have on my combat slow stick.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:58 PM
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Sep 2008
37 Posts
Some info I dug up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
It has been brought to my attention that the motor spec was incomplete in my review of the FunCub in the most recent issue of Fly RC. I used the recommended Himax 3516-0840 as included in the Multiplex FunCub power package.

Thayer
As of today this rec. motor pack is not in stock at Tower, nor is it listed at the bottom of the Combo page at MPi (Himaxx motors)-(made in the USA) btw. MPi will also include any special prop adaptor that may be required for any Multiplex kit. I'm sure a phone call or online request can have the rec. motor/esc/prop combo on its way to you from MPi. I don't believe one is needed on the Fun Cub.

The Himaxx 3516-840 specs: 5mm shaft 134grams/4.7oz. 35.2mm x 42.2mm 350watt 37amps MAX 3-4 lipo 25mm bolt circle same as the kit MM.

Thayer's review:
APC 13 x 4 Full Throttle 23.8A 282.3 watts 120.4 watts/lb and it required 1oz of tail weight to bal. w/Rx forward, Battery (3s 2100) in the rear cavity. AUW 37.5 oz on wheels; 42.5 oz on floats at 106.3 watts/lb.

I've been looking for a reason to try a Scorpion motor. I like this--- 3008-1090Kv 95 gram 3.33 oz 5mm shaft (lose the tail wt?) APC 11x5.5 (better ground Cl.) 26 Amp 272 watts in P/speed 42.7 Thrust 47.3

Or closer to the rec. motor Scorpion 3014-1040 129 gram 4.52 oz 5mm sh. I like the range of prop choices APC 10x5, 10x7, 11x5.5, and the 13x4. Pulling 22, 27.5, 30.4 and 33.3 Amps respectively. 25mm bolt circle.

BTW Himaxx uses us 4-40 bolts, Scorpion M3's to mount.
Draggin'Tail is offline Find More Posts by Draggin'Tail
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:06 AM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george2 View Post

I"ve got a Hacker A30-14l on its nose.The situation was the same.I cut the foam to run the wires through the airway path without any hesitation
Perfect solution.
Thanks I did it last night!

Went to a not so local LHS and almost bought a smaller motor till I saw it didn't have the right shaft config for the reverse mount in the bird.... we'll see ho it flies.

it's about 50% built, I screwed up and glued the wings together. I assembled the 2 halves to see how it would fit and had the bright idea to CA in the tubes while assembled to be sure they fit right. I out a few drops on the end to hold them and it wicked up all the way to the joiner. OH Well no big I'll live I hope.

Thanks again! -S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Well I'm in. Just ordered a Fun Cub. Nice to see a 13" prop will work as well!

So how long till we have a float option?

Tommy D
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:50 PM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Flap Hinges

Does anyone know where I can order replacement hinges for the flaps?
I believe #41 and 42 in owners manual. I tried searching the internet for 3 hours and cannot find them.
lost is offline Find More Posts by lost
Old Aug 05, 2010, 01:21 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Does anyone know where I can order replacement hinges for the flaps?
I believe #41 and 42 in owners manual. I tried searching the internet for 3 hours and cannot find them.
Try a PM to Mike of Multiplex USA ...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=735
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14