HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
664 Posts
Hey all,

My FC arrived today and I have had a quick glance through the parts and instructions.

One problem I noticed was the small diameter for the motor to pass through during installation.

I was planning on using a Scorpion 1040 KV motor and it fits in the cavity for the motor but its too big to slide through the opening to the cavity.

Is there a fix for this or should I get a smaller diam motor? It appears the motor can only go in after the fuse is joined together.

DB
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
drumbum, correct me if I'm wrong, but connect the motor to the motor mount and then screw the motor mount to the motor mount sideplates.

There's also a guy at the local field who mounted a Power 10 on the outside of the motor mount.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:49 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Success gents.
Well done ... always a good feeling even if you have to part with beer
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Drumbum: just sand a bit off the lower portion of the fuselage, I had to do similar as the front opening in the foam is tapered in from where the motor sits when mounted.

You may need to carve out a small portion of foam at the rear top as well to clear motor bell due to down thrust.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
Hey all,

My FC arrived today and I have had a quick glance through the parts and instructions.

One problem I noticed was the small diameter for the motor to pass through during installation.

I was planning on using a Scorpion 1040 KV motor and it fits in the cavity for the motor but its too big to slide through the opening to the cavity.

Is there a fix for this or should I get a smaller diam motor? It appears the motor can only go in after the fuse is joined together.

DB
Another thing to watch for are the wires between the motor and the ESC. With that big of a motor you may have to route them through a hole cut into the foam between the motor area and the scoop.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
MPX Funcub (3 min 53 sec)

Flying my cub
Roel_Netherlands is offline Find More Posts by Roel_Netherlands
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Jan 2010
10 Posts
Hi guys, I installed the recommended motor from MPX in my fun cub. It seems that there is a fair amount of resistance when spinning the prop by hand,as compared to my other planes, is this unique to CC? all my other motors are turnigy.
Theflandersons is offline Find More Posts by Theflandersons
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:15 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
Another thing to watch for are the wires between the motor and the ESC. With that big of a motor you may have to route them through a hole cut into the foam between the motor area and the scoop.

Anton
If it is this one, http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-12...ushless/Detail , it is almost exactly the same physical size as my A30-28s Hacker (but almost twice the weight and power). I just opened up the front a little at the top and bottom, very little actually. I did Dremel out a little of the roof of the motor bay for clearance at the top rear of the motor and also a bit on the left bottom corner as well to allow the wires a little more room. They exit the motor on a 45 degree angle which is pretty convenient. Hope that Scorpion mounts the same!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel_Netherlands View Post
Very nice video! I like that camera position a lot. I gives you a good feel for what the plane is doing, almost as if you were in the passenger seat. You have quite a lot of air traffic there!

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:50 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
304 Posts
Landing on a small beach

Flying at the lake on sunday! Not the best landing I had but it was fun getting and out of such a tight spot with full flaps.

Sorry, I don't know how to rotate the video

Landing on the beach! (0 min 18 sec)
Rooster433 is online now Find More Posts by Rooster433
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster433 View Post
Flying at the lake on sunday! Not the best landing I had but it was fun getting and out of such a tight spot with full flaps.

Sorry, I don't know how to rotate the video

Nice landing, Rooster! Kinda makes you go "Ahhhhh" when you hear the wheels roll on the ground, doesn't it?

Good job! 3 "Cool Guys" to ya for that!!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:15 AM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
I have a question about using the AR6115. Is it possible to set it up with 3 position flaps (up, half down, full down) and have aileron differential? If I put the the flaps in the aux channel, I can get 3 positions but then I can't sync the aileron with the gear channel. If I use the gear channel for the flaps, I only get 2 positions, up and down. Am I using the wrong receiver? Thanks.

-David
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:54 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
David, I think you're getting only 2 positions because your transmitter only has 2 positions for landing gear. You might be able to accomplish this if your TX has the ability to reassign switches to different channels but that depends more on your TX than it does on the rx. The rx is just doing what the TX tells it to do.

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
Bob -- I have a DX7. I'm not sure if I can reassign switches. Thanks.
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:40 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264 View Post
I have a question about using the AR6115. Is it possible to set it up with 3 position flaps (up, half down, full down) and have aileron differential? If I put the the flaps in the aux channel, I can get 3 positions but then I can't sync the aileron with the gear channel. If I use the gear channel for the flaps, I only get 2 positions, up and down. Am I using the wrong receiver? Thanks.

-David
I played around with mixes, and switch positions, and found at the end of the day it was simplest to do the differential with the servo arms.
That way, you can still use the 3 position switch for flaps.

I don't have the link handy, but when I did a search for the setup I found a sailplane group that had the exact directions to do the mixes, etc.
With the mixes, I couldn't do everything else I wanted, so I just went the mechanical route for differential.
Once you do it, it will be done for good and one less thing to remember in the radio.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99