Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:48 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillas View Post
Hello everyone. I am planning on buying a funcub after of 7 months with my EZ. I am a bit confused on which motor should I choose.

From what I have read it has to be 35mm diameter and around 800-1100 kv. What about the length. How does it affects the motor's characteristics?

Do you have any motor suggestions from HK?
I have found the following 3 motors. Will these fit? Which motor you think is more suitable? Not only from these 3.

Turnigy 3648 Brushless Motor 850kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8486

TowerPro Brushless Outrunner 3015-7 1000kv / 470W
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5113

TR 35-42D 1000kv Brushless Outrunner eq: AXi 2820
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3884
nickboul is offline Find More Posts by nickboul
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:50 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
I have found the following 3 motors. Will these fit? Which motor you think is more suitable? Not only from these 3.

Turnigy 3648 Brushless Motor 850kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8486

TowerPro Brushless Outrunner 3015-7 1000kv / 470W
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5113

TR 35-42D 1000kv Brushless Outrunner eq: AXi 2820
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3884
To me the first looks like overkill. At least two of the comments say it is really around 200g rather than the already heavy enough 136 that is claimed.

The third is backordered and has a 4 mm shaft that is not hardened and is known to bend or break.

The blue one, in the middle, looks just about perfect to me. It has plenty of power with an 11 or 12 inch prop and has a 5mm hardened (according to one of the comments) shaft that can be reversed. It's weight is right in the area that most people are using as well. And the price is unbelievable! Quick, order it, there are less than 10 left! Think I will too.
But do add some glue to the magnets, some people have had them come loose and the mounting screws seem to be too long so make sure they don't short out the windings.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:12 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
If you are looking for something like Corrosion X or a motor whatever , just Google and search
Like go looking for other Hobby stores and you will find something like this.....
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220785
Think outside the square
Cheers
Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:51 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
In the short video of my FunCub's first flight there was a squealing sound once during flight and a couple of times on the ground. At the time I thought it was the ESC timing and that I could simply change that timing to solve the problem. That problem got worse and I could not get rid of it even by using a Hacker ESC. I had heard that a bad connection on any of the three motor leads could cause that so I replaced the gold connectors on both the motor and the Turnigy Plush ESC I was using. With the new connectors it still did the same thing with the Turnigy Plush ESC but now there was no squealing with the Hacker ESC. The Hacker ESC's connectors had not been replaced. So it appears I did have a bad connection on one of the original connectors on the motor.

In trying to solve this problem I found that Hacker motors tend to do this fairly often. It seems, from my experience, that the Plush 30 ESC is just not compatible with it. I have seen a number of posts on the net where even Castle ESCs have had this problem with Hacker motors. My FunCub is happy now with the Hacker motor and the Hacker X 40 SB Pro ESC, but that ESC is ridiculously expensive. I never would have bought it if it had not been part of a package on sale with the motor.

I would like to ask anyone who has a Hacker motor what ESC you are using and if you have had this problem. If I have to use an $80 ESC to run a Hacker, which is a pretty pricey motor to begin with, I don't think I will be using Hacker again.

Regards,
Gord
I'm running a Hacker A30-28S with a Castle Thunderbird 36 in my FunCub. No problem has surfaced so far. I last flew it yesterday 8/7/11.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:13 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55 View Post
I'm running a Hacker A30-28S with a Castle Thunderbird 36 in my FunCub. No problem has surfaced so far. I last flew it yesterday 8/7/11.
Thanks! That's the same motor I have. I know Castle did make changes to their firmware to cure this problem somewhere along the way. One of their people said that after the changes they no longer got that squeeling no matter what motor they tried.

BTW, what prop are you using? With the 10x5, I was getting around 250 to 350 watts (if I snuck up on it) depending on the timing I set in the Plush ESC. Haven't really checked with the Hacker ESC yet. I've noticed that the Hacker ESC sort of double clutches when I quickly go to full throttle. It quickly starts to speed up, then it goes quiet for a very short time (maybe a quarter of a second or less) and then goes wide open. Almost what I was doing manually to try to avoid the problem.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:02 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Finally

Well, sorry I haven't posted much lately, but I did finally get my FC flying about a week or so ago.

My initial impressions:

The FunCub flies well, love the flaps, landings are fun, and I love just gliding around really slowly with 1 notch of flaps. Loops and rolls are a cinch. I'm having lots of fun and learning as I go!

I'll post specs later, but here's a pic. No fancy paint job - I'm about as artistically creative as a double yellow line, but at least it's in the air now!!

Stay tuned for more, and thanks everyone for your tips and helpful posts. Oh, and thanks Kevin for taking the picture!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:48 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Had my first flight today as well, ALOT of fun!

But sadly, all my first crash with it, all I can say is it's VERY strong! I tree jumped in front of me, fell on it's nose and snapped the shaft on my motor

The mototr was the NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 910Kv / 350W, it actually had pretty good power on a 10x5e, but needed a little more punch.

Oh well, off to find another motor then..
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:41 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am planning on buying a funcub after of 7 months with my EZ. I am a bit confused on which motor should I choose.

From what I have read it has to be 35mm diameter and around 800-1100 kv. What about the length. How does it affects the motor's characteristics?

Do you have any motor suggestions from HK?
This is the motor I've been using. Works and fits fine. I like it so much, I bought a spare just in case they go away someday
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb26-rocket-2820-990kv.html
I've used it on 10x7, 11x5.5 and 13x4 props. Pulls them all with no problem, and runs cool. Using 40 amp esc and 3s 2200mAh batteries.

Lots more motors at Hobbyparts to choose from if you want to try something different
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:59 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Well, sorry I haven't posted much lately, but I did finally get my FC flying about a week or so ago.

My initial impressions:

The FunCub flies well, love the flaps, landings are fun, and I love just gliding around really slowly with 1 notch of flaps. Loops and rolls are a cinch. I'm having lots of fun and learning as I go!

I'll post specs later, but here's a pic. No fancy paint job - I'm about as artistically creative as a double yellow line, but at least it's in the air now!!

Stay tuned for more, and thanks everyone for your tips and helpful posts. Oh, and thanks Kevin for taking the picture!

Bob
Bob,

It is a great plane. Glad to read about your flight report.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:29 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
It's the only plane I fly where I'm grinning the whole time I fly it. Enjoy!
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Same here! And so do the spectators! Fun to watch.

BTW, same smile while water flying the Polaris seaplane. So far these two aircrafts gave me the most fun!
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Feb 2011
113 Posts
MAVLO77, I agree with you about the Polaris. I've been away from this hobby for about 25+ years and I recently built and am flying a polaris. Love it(scares the heck out of me sometimes) still not totally comfortable at the sticks. I am getting ready to purchase a Fun cub but am having a hard time getting the extras together. I went back about a year on this thread and read my way forward and it seems like every Turnigy motor that is suggested is backordered and has been for awhile. Now it looks like Hobbyking may not be selling HXT900 servos anymore. Ant suggestions on replacements for them.
KenLB is offline Find More Posts by KenLB
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLB View Post
MAVLO77, I agree with you about the Polaris. I've been away from this hobby for about 25+ years and I recently built and am flying a polaris. Love it(scares the heck out of me sometimes) still not totally comfortable at the sticks. I am getting ready to purchase a Fun cub but am having a hard time getting the extras together. I went back about a year on this thread and read my way forward and it seems like every Turnigy motor that is suggested is backordered and has been for awhile. Now it looks like Hobbyking may not be selling HXT900 servos anymore. Ant suggestions on replacements for them.
HXT900s are listed on the Hobbyking website and in stock.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLB View Post

Check out the link I posted above for a motor. They also have metal gear tower pros servos that I have all the way around on the Fun Cub.

Not sure why the Exceed motor isn't used more. It has a 5mm shaft, mounts perfectly, and flys strong.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99