Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
You are only 'old' when cant function properly

Everyone's gunna get there...well those that dont walk in front of a bus

AJ ...your dooin fine...

Cheerz

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I couldn't have spelled it either if I hadn't googled it. And, yep, 68 in just over a week. I guess I am getting there. But fortunately, I am still growing older! The alternative doesn't allow much flying!

Regards,
Gord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Looks better AJ, nice Ply plate very similar to mine.

I only noticed the issue when I had fuselage up side down for some reason and noticed how the landing gear moved from side to side in the mounting plate when the gear legs were sprung closer together. (that was before i attached springs and only had a couple of elastics on)
Thanks guys for the support and kind words. I just couldn't wait to try it. So, I went out this early evening and I just uploaded the latest landings. You are going to be pleased, I hope. It was great. I am not bragging on myself, I am being very grateful for Del-Dredd's help with getting the front gear modified to HIS specifications. Del (I hope that is right) - I have got to tell you that little plate you suggested that I build is a really BIG deal. remember the last video where the plane just tipped where ever it wanted to? That plate was the cause of all it I am sure. Today, well... Wow.. what a difference. I think I have redeemed my landings abilities. But, only with your help. So, the short statement is THANK YOU for taking the time to get me headed down the right road.
AJ
Golly, talk about a LOT of landings. Oh, BTW, the first landing is a deliberate almost 90 degree cross-wing landing. When I was just taxiing, I knew the plane was right on finally.
fun Cub - Just Landings II-edited.mov (4 min 49 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
AJ,

The Del Redd mod seems to have done the trick. I may forgo the new gear and just do the same mod to mine. Very good.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
You are only 'old' when cant function properly

Everyone's gunna get there...well those that dont walk in front of a bus

AJ ...your dooin fine...

Cheerz

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I couldn't have spelled it either if I hadn't googled it. And, yep, 68 in just over a week. I guess I am getting there. But fortunately, I am still growing older! The alternative doesn't allow much flying!

Regards,
Gord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Looks better AJ, nice Ply plate very similar to mine.

I only noticed the issue when I had fuselage up side down for some reason and noticed how the landing gear moved from side to side in the mounting plate when the gear legs were sprung closer together. (that was before i attached springs and only had a couple of elastics on)
Thank you. I think everyone on the thread knows that I shamelessly copied yours. Something about Plagiarism being the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks guys for the support and kind words. I just couldn't wait to try it. So, I went out this early evening and I just uploaded the latest landings. You are going to be pleased, I hope. It was great. I am not bragging on myself, I am being very grateful for Del-Dredd's help with getting the front gear modified to HIS specifications. Del (I hope that is right) - I have got to tell you that little plate you suggested I build is a really BIG deal. remember the last video where the plane just tipped where ever it wanted to (and with almost no wind <2mph)? That plate was the cause of all it I am sure. Today, well... Wow.. what a difference. I think I have redeemed my landing abilities (even with 10-15 mph winds and gusts). But, only with your help. So, the short statement is THANK YOU for taking the time to get me headed down the right road.
AJ
Golly, talk about a LOT of landings. Oh, BTW, the first landing is a deliberate almost 90 degree cross-wing landing. When I was just taxiing, I knew the plane was right on finally. Thanks again to all of you who helped (you know who you are). I deeply appreciate all your ideas, tips, and suggestions.
BTW-There are NO duplicates in the video at all...... Enjoy
fun Cub - Just Landings II-edited.mov (4 min 49 sec)

P.S. After all those landings (hard and soft and taxiing), the modified tail wheel assembly performed flawlessly and sustained NO damage whatsoever and the servo is still like new now that it is uncoupled from the rigid TW assy.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
I don't know if he is ignoring me or what but he has an 8 channel radio that is perfectly capable of performing multi-position flaps without the need for custom mixes, servo reversers, cutting extra foam away to flip the servo, etc.

Edit: Just in case he's not ignoring me: Go in the model menu and change the wing type to 2 ailerons 2 flaps, then go in to the servo setup menu and look at how the servos are labeled. RAL, LAL, LFL, RFL, THR, RDR etc. Then follow that pattern when plugging in your serve wires to the receiver. From there go in the flap menu and you will have to see which direction to go for the first position (it will be +100% or -100%). The second position will likely be 0% and third the opposite of the first. Hope that helps.
OH no, I am not ignoring you. I have just been working very long hours and it is getting in the way my pleasures........
You are right, I paid over 400 bucks for a new radio and I am not going to use Y harnesses or after market servo reversers, or go into servos and reverse them, or cut pockets in the wing.
I worked with the DX8 a little more tonight and I am getting very close to the correct programing. I will get it.
Thanks for your help. It "did" help.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:42 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
OH no, I am not ignoring you. I have just been working very long hours and it is getting in the way my pleasures........
You are right, I paid over 400 bucks for a new radio and I am not going to use Y harnesses or after market servo reversers, or go into servos and reverse them, or cut pockets in the wing.
I worked with the DX8 a little more tonight and I am getting very close to the correct programing. I will get it.
Ron
Great. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed and I figured it out with some fiddling. The DX8 thread seemed a little more helpful to you than they were to me. As for the manual well, I didn't find it very useful at all.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Good work AJ looks like your getting that LG dialed in. Taxing looks much more stable than before. What's that old Pontiac saying "wider is better". Well done.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Ron , I must have got Medusa's luck cause I had TWO...2....DX8's The first one just turned itself off when maiddening a brand new Radian mk2 , took it and the smashed plane back to the agent here , their 'Teck' couldn't find what was wrong with it...no RF output at all and they replaced most of the glider and gave me a new DX8 . the second one worked ok for a short while then when I used it in my Fun Cub had involuntary aileron movement with throttle , so the agents here Model Flight (Michale O'reilly) gave my money back
With that I bought a Hitec AURORA 9CH ...so far is working faultless and is extremely easy to program , touch screen and all..
Cheerz

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Jun 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:05 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
Great. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed and I figured it out with some fiddling. The DX8 thread seemed a little more helpful to you than they were to me. As for the manual well, I didn't find it very useful at all.
When I had my DX8's I got a book from the 'States' sort of the 'Dummies guide to the DX8' , I gave it to my mate who has one and he has it in his Fun Cub , so when I see him next I'll see what it sez about setting up the flaps , which is where Bob is right now

Cheerz

Ian
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokeyFPV View Post
Good work AJ looks like your getting that LG dialed in. Taxing looks much more stable than before. What's that old Pontiac saying "wider is better". Well done.

Cheers
Thank You. I was only a small part of the equation. A few of other guys guided me through the forest of problems to get my goal accomplished. If I were to brag about something, it would be the luck I had being a member of a fine team. A team of guys that while it was not overtly spoken said "heck, we can get this done." They refused to see the obstacles and would not entertain all the negative feedback and could only see multiple possible solutions. IMO, being part of the team was far more valuable than the goal being met.
This kind of reminds me of that A_Rdnek (I hope I got that right) fellow that is DETERMINED to figure out that radio. I definitely would not get in his way or come up with solution "guesses" for him.
AJ
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
A.J. . love your head cam shots , well done...I like to have a good bit of down mixed into full flap , then mostly I need back stick to fly in for the landing plus some power...try a longer and lower approach...this is some of what I love about this plane...fun fun fun

Cheerz

Ian
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Ron
Yeah Ron , thats the basics with the DX8 , get the right wing configuration entered , aileron servos plugged into separate holes , then you can have differential , ect , flaps can be on a Y lead if you flip one ( easiest WTG)...but you must have the correct wing configuration entered for it to allow other mixing , if your using flaps not on a Y lead
Hope this is of some help
cheers
Ian
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:33 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Golly, talk about a LOT of landings. Oh, BTW, the first landing is a deliberate almost 90 degree cross-wing landing. When I was just taxiing, I knew the plane was right on finally. Thanks again to all of you who helped (you know who you are). I deeply appreciate all your ideas, tips, and suggestions.
BTW-There are NO duplicates in the video at all...... Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7SaC5Rbuck

P.S. After all those landings (hard and soft and taxiing), the modified tail wheel assembly performed flawlessly and sustained NO damage whatsoever and the servo is still like new now that it is uncoupled from the rigid TW assy.
What an amazing difference! A while back I decided I would like a bit stiffer gear as well so I just made some small hooks of hanger wire, wrapped them on the gear legs with copper wire and soldered them on. No springs, just the pony tail elastic bands. Following your problem, I had to wonder if I too would have this wobbly action where the gear is mounted. I flipped mine over and it is quite solid. I guess your springs are a lot stronger than the elastic bands. I shouldn't need the plywood, but if I should in the future, I will know what it looks like. Really good videos to illustrate the problem and the solution.

I meant to mention a while back that I really like that red color on the bottom of your wings. It and the yellow topside make it absolutely impossible to be confused about which side you are looking at. And the red flash when it rolls reminds me a little of the flash of color you sometimes see on hummingbirds. I like it!

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:09 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
A.J. . love your head cam shots , well done...I like to have a good bit of down mixed into full flap , then mostly I need back stick to fly in for the landing plus some power...try a longer and lower approach...this is some of what I love about this plane...fun fun fun

Cheerz

Ian
Thank you for the props. And, You are right on IMO - I most definitely need to mix in a healthy dose of down elevator with full flaps. The problem with doing that is me. I just got a Turnigy 9ch and a couple of excellent manuals from the net. I just need to spend some time reading and playing to figure out HOW to program in the elevator mix with the flaps. I am sure it is easy. It is more a matter of sorting out my priorities and getting it done. Right now, I am using that ton of features like a very basic 5 channel radio. The radio deserves better. The only problem that I have with it is that when I shift left/right rudder, occasionally, the throttle goes to about 25% power (guessing) - and No, I am absolutely certain that I am not bumping the throttle when I am going from left to right to left ...... rudder, slowly even. I need to find someone that has the same radio and see if they have that problem. As for warranty, I would not even bother returning it. I would just use it for parts and buy another one. You know how it goes - buy cheap - buy twice.
AJ

Next Stop - Put a MicroDan 2505-2535 motor on the FC.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:06 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah Im also a fairly blunt tool when it comes to figuring out some programing , the DX8 is very good and my new Hitec Aurora 9 is even easier...must be if I can get done...he he
I had that prob with the second DX8 ...got me munny back..

Cheers mate

Ian
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:17 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
A.J. . ...I like to have a good bit of down mixed into full flap , then mostly I need back stick to fly in for the landing plus some power
Cheerz

Ian
Question on how much down elevator you have dialed in? I don't have my TX in front of me at the moment, but I recall a default preprogramed mix to flaps. Is that what you used?
Thanks!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99