HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Why do you think I am ignoring the benefit of a lighter motor? I will be using a lighter motor myself when I am flying my Fun Cub Indoors - following the advice of Marin Müller:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=138

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=141

I would not chose a motor with a 3mm shaft however and you need a certain amount of weight in the nose for correct CG. Your "dramatical reduction of weight" only exists on paper, because you would need to use ballast in the nose.

Jürgen
Who's Marin? Isn't his name Martin? You should be more respectful and spell his name correctly.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
adioperator: Beautiful airials.....may be the best I have seen! Where did you mount the camera? It looks like in one of your videos it is mounted below the fuse to the rear of the tailwheel. Very steady and great pilot skills. Thanks.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old May 30, 2011, 10:06 AM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Our village holds Independence day celebrations at a county park with a small lake. I was planning on towing a flag behind my FunCub over the lake, but decided on this windsock.

I was going to use the tow hook I thought was saved but so far I cannot find it. I ended up fastening a eye to the LG screw. Any idea if this is going to have any effect controlling the plane?.

If the wind dies down later I will find out one way or the other.

Thanks
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post
Our village holds Independence day celebrations at a county park with a small lake. I was planning on towing a flag behind my FunCub over the lake, but decided on this windsock.

I was going to use the tow hook I thought was saved but so far I cannot find it. I ended up fastening a eye to the LG screw. Any idea if this is going to have any effect controlling the plane?.

Thanks
Make sure you get some pictures of it flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Prof100: What are you trying to prove?? Have you reached perfection? Lets get back to learning everyones trial and errors in flying the f/c.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Who's Marin? Isn't his name Martin? You should be more respectful and spell his name correctly.
That's an easy one. You quoted me before I fixed the typo. Now your quote appears incorrect.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
That's an easy one. You quoted me before I fixed the typo. Now your quote appears incorrect.

Jürgen
But I caught the error of your ways and preserved your disrespect for Martin.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Prof100: Please, please get a life and stop this nonsense.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
I pulled a large flag with the FunCub on the Israeli Independence day and besides working with a higher throttle rate it was pretty simple.
Remember to make slow turns and watch out for tilting up and stalling (flaps will cause it) and plan where you are going.
Landing will be super easy too because of how slowly it will approach.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=327#4903
(sorry it's in hebrew...)
MPX FunCub dragging a flag (4 min 3 sec)
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Last edited by shaprap; May 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:

I was going to use the tow hook ...
A flag may have had less drag than the windsock. Having a tow release would have been beneficial, but you may get away with it. When flying slow, the drag of the windscok should not be too bad. You may check how the windsock behaves by holding it out of a car window.

Jürgen
Old May 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Prof100: Please, please get a life and stop this nonsense.
Thanks, but you seem to have enough time in your life to be pontificating (i.e., express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic) on this thread.

The lightweight motor option that AJ is considering is an experiment worth having and sharing. It's how a thread should progress. The ideas should NOT be shot down before they play themselves out. Not all experiments succeed, but that is OK.

The vibration problem experienced by some in the Funcub is fixed by altering the fuselage with reinforcement to overcome the design that's not robust to the range of motors that are available in the market. Altering the body structure is how vehicles are modified to not respond to the engine pulses of the the vehicle. A soft mount is often used in car engines but in our airplanes a rigid mount is used to maintain thrust angles so the the "soft mount" is not really feasible. The motor signal of noise doesn't change so all that's left is the fuselage natural frequency has to change by adding Zpoxy and cloth or 80 mm CF tubes or other reinforcement. The Funcub is designed for the standard power system they offer, but it is not robust to a range of options that are available in the market. It is our challenge to get them to work.

The tail wheel bends all the time on me as well. the metal chosen is too formable and should have used a more robust material selection that doesn't deform.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:24 AM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
I will report in later today on the windsock. I thought about sewing the opening closed? Pics of possible.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 30, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined May 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
adioperator: Beautiful airials.....may be the best I have seen! Where did you mount the camera? It looks like in one of your videos it is mounted below the fuse to the rear of the tailwheel. Very steady and great pilot skills. Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback
The camera was mounted under the fuselage after landing gear. In the first video was directed forward and backward to the last.
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old May 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The lightweight motor option that AJ is considering is an experiment worth having and sharing. It's how a thread should progress. The ideas should NOT be shot down before they play themselves out. Not all experiments succeed, but that is OK.

The vibration problem experienced by some in the Funcub is fixed by altering the fuselage with reinforcement to overcome the design that's not robust to the range of motors that are available in the market.

The tail wheel bends all the time on me as well. the metal chosen is too formable and should have used a more robust material selection that doesn't deform.
Nobody shoots down an idea, but what's wrong with stopping a fellow modeler from wasting money? If guys are complaining about bent 4mm motor shafts, the last thing you want is a 3mm shaft.

The 700W Fun Cub in my video uses the stock mount system with an aluminium bulkhead - no other reinforcements required.

The tail wheel wire should not bend "all the time". Perhaps you can do a video, so we can get an idea what you re doing to it.
A certain amount of flex is good, as it reduces peak loads from the servo gears.

Jürgen
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; May 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: waisting changed into wasting
Old May 30, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Personal opinion:
The original mount is more than adequate
IF the motor ,prop and spinner is straight an in balance .
The "outrunner " design motor will not create any harmonics of consequence.
The mount has to only overcome thrust and torque and it is more than robust enough for that.
Balancing is another thing as some props will setup huge vibes at a particular rpm.

The best I have used -right out of th box -are the straight blade GWS
The worst are "Slo Flyers"
A balancer which will detect imbalance in both axis is really helpful.
Making certain the four adjustment screws on the mount all make contact is also necessary.
A metal replacement mount would be nice -except- you would simply transfer the imbalance loads more directly into the fuselage.
In the late 1980's and early 1990s, we fought the harmonics in pattern planes, caused by the new 4 stroke engines . These things really raised hell due to the time between power impulses.
The outrunners produce so many "power pulses" as to eliminate this problem
puts us back to getting rotating balances correct

This is one part of the FUN Cub setup which cant be overdone.
Try various props and note the vibes if any
don't use setups which "buzz".
My Cub has no problem with power bursts to 400 watts (EFlite 10 x 13" props) but typical flying requires less than half of that
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson