HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 30, 2011, 12:46 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The whole design of the steering tail wheel is totally and completely worthless. I have landed my FC about 8 times in all and ALL 8 times, the tail wheel bent in whatever direction it wanted to. The wire is too small and the design looks like it was done by a sick 5th grader. Because of its bad design, I broke a rudder servo on smooth landing. If you watch my maiden #2, you will see how the plane jets off to the left because the servo is broken.
The FC is certainly not up to the usual MPX standards (EZ*, Fun Jet, Mentor, Cularis) that I have come to expect. They charge an outrageous price for their planes and usually deliver the quality to go with it. For being overpriced, I expect perfection. The FC is considerably below that. I would rate it about a c- in quality in their world of models. The final flying plane IMO is about a B+. I am going to try to make it more fun by building a really lightweight FC and not use all the "proprietary" stuff that locks everyone into using JUST MPX pieces/parts. With all the help I am getting here in the thread, I am optimistic. It does require thinking outside the box though. Prof100 and NFZ and a lot of others (except one) are aces at that. Ok. I will climb down off my soapbox, get my positive attitude back on, and wait for the firestorm.
AJ
Why do you take off right at the only post for miles around?
Why do you keep flying with a battery that is weak?
I thought the FC looks good and flys well.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 01:48 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Who cares ...
Well, you obviously cared enough to post ...

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; May 30, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 01:49 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gettin some tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

That flew much better. Very good video and flying. BTW, yours looks like it has bigger tail.

Bill
I believe it is. I will post a close up of the vertical stab and rudder (with a ruler) and you tell me so I can be sure.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 01:59 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
"yup. you just know that Jergen would bust you for being off 2 grams, huh?"..LOL...
Perhaps you should try to get your facts right?

1. You misspelled my name.
2. I was not the one who started argueing about 2g, it was Prof100:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5477
3. I only provided the correct figure, because he was "way off" (150g):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5474

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; May 30, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 02:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Da Plane, Da Plane - Who said it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
1. Why do you take off right at the only post for miles around?

2. Why do you keep flying with a battery that is weak?

3.I thought the FC looks good and flys well.
Ron
1. Actually, it is not that close and it is made of rubber. It should have a sign that says "objects in the videos are further than they appear". I usually have it tipped over to avoid just that possibility. Thanks for the reminder to tip it over first. Also, it is the smoothest part of the "runway" to use. However, it didn't matter in this case because my rudder servo gears stripped due to an inferior tail wheel design. The servo I used was brand new. So, with the awful design, it is just a matter of doing a few landings before the servo strips gears. Meanwhile, the silly tiny wire they use will bend every time I land rendering it a struggle or futile to do an ROG.
2. That was a surprise to me, too. I charged 3 of them last night and all three did the same thing. Maybe that is why I shouldn't leave them on a shelf in my office (charged) for 6-7 months before I use them. When I charged them, it took about 2 minutes each to come to full charge. I put a brand new nano-tech 2200mah in it and flew for about 20 minutes with no problems at all. I flew with the rudder push rod just bent into place and disconnected the servo (since it was broken). So, it is the batteries and not the power system in the plane. Those batteries that failed are Korean batteries are supposedly a much better product that anything else they have. I disagree, unless leaving them on a shelf (for ~6 mos. @ 65-75 degrees 24/7) is a problem. Hmmmm....
3. Thanks for the props. My outside loops need some work and the CG could be a bit more forward, I think. Generally, my planes will tend to fall out of the sky when doing a roll if they are too nose heavy. So, I will move the CG forward about 10mm more (making it 60mm from LE) and see what happens. I will submit a video report then, too.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 30, 2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 02:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Pictures of the tail pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

That flew much better. Very good video and flying. BTW, yours looks like it has bigger tail.

Bill
Maybe you can tell me if I have the larger vertical stab and rudder. I saw the picture earlier of the two versions together and I cannot tell for sure. If I were to guess, I would say I have the larger one. True???
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 02:17 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The whole design of the steering tail wheel is totally and completely worthless. I have landed my FC about 8 times in all and ALL 8 times, the tail wheel bent in whatever direction it wanted to. The wire is too small and the design looks like it was done by a sick 5th grader. Because of its bad design, I broke a rudder servo on smooth landing. If you watch my maiden #2, you will see how the plane jets off to the left because the servo is broken. ...
If your tail wheel went all over the place, it was most likely because your servo gear was already damaged. A smaller, more flexible wire actually reduces peak loads on the servo gear and acts as a "servo saver".

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 02:57 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Well there ya go folks ....you heard it first here...no other thread is so complete...


Well you ought to get you facts right too ....as it was a quote....not from me....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5491

so there.....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 03:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of paleface View Post
well there ya go folks ....you heard it first here...no other thread is so complete...


well you ought to get you facts right too ....as it was a quote....not from me....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5491

so there.....
+1
aj
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 03:12 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Well there ya go folks ....you heard it first here...no other thread is so complete...


Well you ought to get you facts right too ....as it was a quote....not from me....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5491

so there.....
I did not say it came from you, so what's your problem?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 03:20 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Tis you mate that has a............ 'problem'
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 03:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The whole design of the steering tail wheel is totally and completely worthless. I have landed my FC about 8 times in all and ALL 8 times, the tail wheel bent in whatever direction it wanted to. The wire is too small and the design looks like it was done by a sick 5th grader. Because of its bad design, I broke a rudder servo on smooth landing. If you watch my maiden #2, you will see how the plane jets off to the left because the servo is broken.
I must admit to worrying about sudden loads from the tail wheel, which is why I used metal geared servos. Although mine hasn't given any trouble, I wonder whether a better design would be a castering tail wheel with a bungee holding it centred.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 03:53 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I must admit to worrying about sudden loads from the tail wheel, which is why I used metal geared servos....
Depending on your flying field and your piloting skills, using a MG servo for rudder is the preferred option.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 04:10 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
There ya go folks....instant advice.......the best thread ever
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 04:25 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Proper tail wheel operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I must admit to worrying about sudden loads from the tail wheel, which is why I used metal geared servos. Although mine hasn't given any trouble, I wonder whether a better design would be a castering tail wheel with a bungee holding it centred.
That is the direction that I am going to go. It would work just like a REAL Cub does. Thanks for the feedback. It helps me get moving on making a possible design.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 05:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 10:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 10:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 12:02 PM