HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I'm thinking of joining in on the Fun Cub fun. I scanned some of the post looking for suggestions on motor and prop, but must have missed them.

Could anyone recommend a good motor and prop for the Fun Cub? I plan on using 3s 2200's and I have some 30 and 40 amp esc's.

Thanks!
The good old 35-36 1000-1100 kv motor is hard to beat for a low cost option...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 11:11 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The recommended motor for the FunCub weighs 132g and has a 5mm motor shaft.

While a light motor makes sense in an aerobatic competition model (like a 12g motor in a 100g F3P model), it makes no sense to put a 34g motor in a sports model weighing approx. 1000g. Putting the same motor in a high performance glider with retractable motor pod and it may make sense again.

Jürgen
Jurgen,

Correction, it is 134 grams not 132 per TowerHobbies website for the Power pack. The Microdan 2510 3D 970 KV is 54 grams not 34 grams per the Microdan site. That's 80 grams lighter in the nose. Below is from his website:

Recommended Props:

GWS 11x7 DD (best) 34oz, 17A, 3s.
GWS 10x 6 (3) blade 32oz, 15A 3s.
GWS 10x4.7 SF, GWS 10x7 HD, or GWS 11x4.7 SF.

Recommended Batteries:

3s lithium polymer 600 - 1500 mAH.

The weight difference with smaller batteries and a 54 gram motor is about 6 ounces. Your mileage may vary.

The FC AUW would fall below 30 ounces.

Using a 54 gram Microdan is a classic "thinking outside the dots" to connect the 9 dots with four continuous straight lines.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Have you -or anyone else -done a Fun Cub with the suggested setup?
My FC flies extremely hard at 37 ozs (1500 30 c batt pack) &10 EFliten 13x4 APC
I can see maybe 3-4 ozs less but a resultant pretty big hit on power.
My scales are postal types and I also use OHaus triple beam n digital o I can easly weigh stuf down to a gram.
balance is iffy with no battery so I suspect the superlightsetup would be at the aft end of decent CG.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
Have you -or anyone else -done a Fun Cub with the suggested setup?
My FC flies extremely hard at 37 ozs (1500 30 c batt pack) &10 EFliten 13x4 APC
I can see maybe 3-4 ozs less but a resultant pretty big hit on power.
My scales are postal types and I also use OHaus triple beam n digital o I can easly weigh stuf down to a gram.
balance is iffy with no battery so I suspect the superlightsetup would be at the aft end of decent CG.
The Microdan 2510 is ONLY being investigated for feasibility. I know of no one who has run it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
The specs show that it has to really crank to produce thrusts desireable for the Fun Cub

For most desireable flight characteristics - the Fun Cub performs best on 12"-13" long props .
Simple matter of getting disc area up as much as possible for low speed high thrust.
The Microdan has characteristics good for faster smaller models -nice motor
The analogy would be a 1000 hp ,1500cc Honda Formula engine
terrific power but useful only on specific setups.
Being a engine nut -I have setup small displacement Chevs which produced lots of Hp but did not kick in till the revs were up
my old MB td pulls nicely at only a couple a thou rpm.
Some setups are just better suited for desirable results Sorta like a big Harley vs a Hayabusa
Last edited by guy hanson; May 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Ok another question, for servo extensions do I cut a little slot in the wing for where the servo wire and the extension connect together? Or do I (hopefully not) cut the end off the extension and the servo wire and solder the wires together?

Thanks.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 29, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
just make neat little pockets for extension connection-and gather wires to drop into center fuselage hole.
when everything is routed nicely, put a strip of good transparant tape over each slot.
The manual shows a non 2.4 setup - -Place the rx at top, side inside hole,on velcro-
then if possible add a Y for the flaps and a short extension in each aileron connection. This makes for easy reconnection when wing is removed *
I routed my long 2.4 antenna under TE of wing center
- short wire forward
My Rx is a Spektrum 600 but similar types will fit in same area.
* if possible ,purchase lightweight extensions such as Spektrum offers.
these are available as a Y, or in 3",6,"9,"12" lengths. Plenty of capability for the tiny wing servos. Someone else may sell similar products -I don't know.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
Quote:
The specs show that it has to really crank to produce thrusts desireable for the Fun Cub

For most desireable flight characteristics - the Fun Cub performs best on 12"-13" long props .
Simple matter of getting disc area up as much as possible for low speed high thrust.
The Microdan has characteristics good for faster smaller models -nice motor
The analogy would be a 1000 hp ,1500cc Honda Formula engine
terrific power but useful only on specific setups.
Being a engine nut -I have setup small displacement Chevs which produced lots of Hp but did not kick in till the revs were up
my old MB td pulls nicely at only a couple a thou rpm.
Some setups are just better suited for desirable results Sorta like a big Harley vs a Hayabusa
Yes, you are speaking conventional wisdom. Have you ever seen a Mercury Merkur turbo charged 2.0L developing 700 hp? It would lap the Transam field where most were running small block Ford and Chevy V8s. It was an unfair advantage since the weight break was 200 lbs.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
just make neat little pockets for extension connection-and gather wires to drop into center fuselage hole.
when everything is routed nicely, put a strip of good transparant tape over each slot.
The manual shows a non 2.4 setup - -Place the rx at top, side inside hole,on velcro-
then if possible add a Y for the flaps and a short extension in each aileron connection. This makes for easy reconnection when wing is removed *
I routed my long 2.4 antenna under TE of wing center
- short wire forward
My Rx is a Spektrum 600 but similar types will fit in same area.
* if possible ,purchase lightweight extensions such as Spektrum offers.
these are available as a Y, or in 3",6,"9,"12" lengths. Plenty of capability for the tiny wing servos. Someone else may sell similar products -I don't know.
Thanks, I will definitely bookmark that post for reference.

More questions, has anyone been able to actually get the flaps to 90 degrees with an hxt900? If so, any tips?

Thanks.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 29, 2011, 03:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post

More questions, has anyone been able to actually get the flaps to 90 degrees with an hxt900? If so, any tips?

Thanks.
Longer arms. Make your own.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 04:05 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Jurgen,

Correction, it is 134 grams not 132 per TowerHobbies website for the Power pack. ...
Who cares about the TowerHobbies website, when I have the motor and some precision weighing scales right in front of me?

I am not interested in "a pissing contest", but the motor weighs 132.4g with the original bubble wrapping and exactly 130.5g when you take it out of the wrapping.

The 34g MicroDan was considered by AJ, but even the 54g one only has a 3mm motor shaft. People are complaining about bending their 4mm shafts; how do you think a 3mm will hold up? I prefer a 5mm shaft on models with a 13" (non folding) prop weighing approx. 1000g.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; May 29, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Wish me luck

On my Maden flight about 3 weeks ago. DO NOT KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG.
Went stright in with full power. BACK TOGETHER. LOOKS LIKE A VERY NICE EVENING.
GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN
WISH ME LUCK
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old May 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Flapping the flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post

Thanks.
Yes. I did and it works great. Of course, it is often said "If it ain't on video, it didn't happen". So, here is some pics and a video. I'm going to let you guys call the angle. My best guess is about 80 degrees. I could easily make it 90 degrees if I did like Prof100 said "Longer arms. Make your own.". The Servo arm shown is from an HXT900 set that comes with the servo. A lot of folks might not know that it has 7 holes on one side and 6 on the other. I used the 7 hole side and the first hole on the included arm (from FC kit). You can see that all I need to do is move the push rod down one more hole and I would have a full 90 degrees. In summary, it is a simple mod. Thanks to Prof100 for showing me this on another thread. We were designing air brakes and spoilers and comparing the pros and cons of the resulting action. On the Fun Cub, when I use full down flap, it is like flying a Slow Stick. It makes the FC a floater. Do it, you will love it.

Flaps.MOV (0 min 26 sec)

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
[QUOTE=Jurgen Heilig;18364515]Who cares ...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 04:26 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Luck be a lady tonight..... Who sang it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
On my Maden flight about 3 weeks ago. DO NOT KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG.
Went stright in with full power. BACK TOGETHER. LOOKS LIKE A VERY NICE EVENING.
GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN
WISH ME LUCK
SARG5
YOU won't need luck with your skills. But, if it helps you... Good Luck!!
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker