HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Bill -
What do you think about putting the MD2505 with APC6x4E on the FC. Also, I looked at the specs from Dr. Kiwi on the Grayson Super Mega Jet V2. The specs appear a little better than the MD motor. I am certain the V2 will work great on a Sky Surfer. But a V2 on an FC? Your thoughts?
AJ
AJ,

No, the Funcub will fly best with a low KV motor. Never mind the modifications you will have to make to mount it in the FC. Keep the little MicroDan 2505's for SS and pusher jets. The MD 2510, 970 KV would work if you wanted to build a lightweight Funcub. http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MD2510-LE

The MD2505 and Grayson Super Mega will both work fine in a SS, Easy Star, etc. I do believe the 34 gram weight of the MD 2505 is a distinct advantage. For me, I am hooked on Microdan motors.

BTW, Dr. Kiwi, as I recall, never tested the 2505, 2535KV motor. He tested a 1800kv or so.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 28, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,502 Posts
Good luck ballancing the funcub with a lightweight motor ect .
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old May 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Anything is possible with lead weights and lipo placement.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Anything is possible with lead weights and lipo placement.
The problem is which setup is most effective
a super lightweight setup is typically one which has to run at upper end of it's rating
-Ideally you want a setup which runs init's listed efficiency rpm
FWIW- a EFlight 480 will pull the Fun Cub -nicely and the battery needed can be placed in the space provided

The 10 EFlight will make it a monster IF that is what you want and still balance but can suck the battery dry quickly if you tend to push it.
Look up the specs on those two and use somethin close to the same ratings
Prices run from 10 bucks on up-but battery consumption is directly related to performance desired - no matter which motor is used
The present outrunners are all pretty darn good and if you want say - 3 pounds static thrust - it will take around the same amount of battery to produce this - irrespective of motor or prop -
it may sound funny but it has to do with the energy conversion from battery to thrust.
Thrust charts will be more exacting (well maybe) but most of the recent motors have similar efficiency so when X amount of thrust is provided it takes x amount of battery power.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Maiden Report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
If is isn't on video, it didn't happen. So, take a video...
AJ
Ask and ye shall receive...

20110528 - Maidening the Multiplex Fun Cub (1 min 45 sec)

This is an AWESOME plane! I can't remember life before flaps, and I don't think I want to! Completely EFFORTLESS to fly! Easily my favorite plane right now (although my Radian had a very satisfying flight today also). Launching with flaps deployed is like going up on an elevator. Cruising four feet off the deck, I could have jogged and kept up with it. I retracted the flaps, cranked it up, and did some very mild aerobatics. A beginner could totally fly this with a little help from an experienced pilot. If you're on the fence about this plane, GET OFF THE FENCE AND BUY ONE! Did I mention it's AWESOME?

chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Last edited by chickenwing; May 28, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added Photos...
Old May 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Pictures don't really do it justice but, I can say the parts look exactly as they did before paint, only now they're blue. It's pretty much like blue elapor.

Doing it again I would do 2 thin coats then a thin coat of gloss instead of one thicker coat of blue then the gloss. Where it looks like it's too light it's really just bad lighting and a crappy point and shoot camera, and the sun is coming in through the garage making it seem even lighter. In person it looks great.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
The problem is which setup is most effective
a super lightweight setup is typically one which has to run at upper end of it's rating
-Ideally you want a setup which runs init's listed efficiency rpm
FWIW- a EFlight 480 will pull the Fun Cub -nicely and the battery needed can be placed in the space provided

The 10 EFlight will make it a monster IF that is what you want and still balance but can suck the battery dry quickly if you tend to push it.
Look up the specs on those two and use somethin close to the same ratings
Prices run from 10 bucks on up-but battery consumption is directly related to performance desired - no matter which motor is used
The present outrunners are all pretty darn good and if you want say - 3 pounds static thrust - it will take around the same amount of battery to produce this - irrespective of motor or prop -
it may sound funny but it has to do with the energy conversion from battery to thrust.
Thrust charts will be more exacting (well maybe) but most of the recent motors have similar efficiency so when X amount of thrust is provided it takes x amount of battery power.

Thanks for the advice, but I have already built mine. AJ was pondering the possibilities with Microdan motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,812 Posts
Is there an ideal flap speed? Am I correct in thinking I want to set a delay in the elevator compensation so that it reaches it's position at the same time the flap does?

I mostly fly 3D stuff, lots of experience with flaperons and elevators moving opposite each other for tight maneuvers, but none with straight, scale type flap use.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 28, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
No problem with 3530 and 1300mAh battery, the battery doesn't even need to go right forward.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Cool Looks like there will be a super duper FunCub in my future. Do you know if there is a part number change?

Danny
Hi Danny!
Sorry, but it's no change in part numbers. I've got two FunCubs, one with the smaller fin and one with the bigger. I can't tell if it's different to fly with a small fin, I've only flown the one with the bigger.

Check out post #4115 on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...09004&page=275 for more details.
I also got a reply from Multiplex regarding the fins, it's in post #4142 on page 277 in this thread.

/MD
Mate Dogg is offline Find More Posts by Mate Dogg
Old May 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotog View Post
HeadsupRC is a great place to purchase. You can get everything you need at very good prices shipped quickly.

They also have a nice selection of motor mounts to go with their great motors!
Geeze, there is even a mount that looks just like yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Is there an ideal flap speed? Am I correct in thinking I want to set a delay in the elevator compensation so that it reaches it's position at the same time the flap does?

I mostly fly 3D stuff, lots of experience with flaperons and elevators moving opposite each other for tight maneuvers, but none with straight, scale type flap use.

Azarr
nah I setup 1.5 seconds - for ist stage - you don't notice any pitching
pretty much a non critical thing
The only thing I have changed is the gear - I added a pieceof 1/16" piano wire - using some plastic tabs n small screws - this make "just enough" difference on the gear to stop wheel shudder . I saw similar setup on a german model - quick n dirty and effective
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Last edited by guy hanson; May 28, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:

Azarr
Are you talking about airspeed for flaps or flap lowering speed?

My flaps drop slowly 0 to 70 degrees in 1.5 secs or so, at that speed i see very little pitch change unless going 3/4 to full throttle.

As the flaps come down they reduce the airspeed of the plane so it somewhat self adjusts as it gets more lift with the flap.

I therefore do not bother mixing in elevator as its not required, if i deploy flaps as speed while straight and level
i add a bit of down with my thumb on the stick, thats what its there for, same as adding rudder in turns.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,812 Posts
[QUOTE=Del-Dredd;18357215]Are you talking about airspeed for flaps or flap lowering speed?

My flaps drop slowly 0 to 70 degrees in 1.5 secs or so, at that speed i see very little pitch change unless going 3/4 to full throttle.

As the flaps come down they reduce the airspeed of the plane so it somewhat self adjusts as it gets more lift with the flap.

I therefore do not bother mixing in elevator as its not required, if i deploy flaps as speed while straight and level
i add a bit of down with my thumb on the stick, thats what its there for, same as adding rudder in turns.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I should have been clearer. I was asking about the flap lowering speed. I'll set the transmitter to .75sec at half and 1.5 at full and see how that works for me.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:

Azarr
FWIW....I think this is a FUN plane not a 3D ...its not deigned for 3D , there are much better planes for that....any plane can just hack around the sky , I have fun low and slow seeing how slow I can fly it ect......so I slow it down and then pop the flaps with what I think is the right amount of down mix for that flap position..........whatever turns your crank.....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE