SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2011, 04:20 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
When looking for a picture of the servo installation, I found a very nice, detailled build thread:

http://www.fpv-flieger.de/component/...multiplex.html

It's in German, but pictures say more than a thousand words anyway.

Jürgen
If you copy/paste the URL into Google translate, it does a pretty good job in most languages.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2011, 10:52 AM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Attention: Those values are only helpful, if you are using the same brand of radio, same mix setups and all your servo arms have the same effective length.

It is much better do describe control surface deflections in actual measurements - like in the manual - as those are independent from all other variables.

Jürgen
We have the same radio, and I understand our servos and therefore their arm length may differ, I was merely looking for a good place to start. Thanks for your concern.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Just got: 5x hxt900 and 2xmg90. 55a esc with sbec. Assorted props from 11x7 down to 10x5. 4 servo extensions.

All I need now is the plane which comes tomorrow and rx which will come saturday. I assume I can do most of the plane without a rx? Just use a rx on another plane to find out where neutral is on the servo?

P.S. I know you guys probably don't care about all the parts I got today, you probably have the same look on your face as my mailman did carrying 10 packages. I'm excited and I had to tell somebody and my wife certainly could care less.

P.P.S: Also I grabbed one of these and all the electronics to build when it's too windy to fly my fc. And finally I grabbed one of these to fly (crash) in my house when I get bored of building.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
Takeoff,Crash,Repair ...
Rio Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2007
226 Posts
Actually we do care...so keep posting. Especially about your maiden. You should have plane ready to fly by Sat, right;-)
kg6uvp is offline Find More Posts by kg6uvp
Old May 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6uvp View Post
Actually we do care...so keep posting. Especially about your maiden. You should have plane ready to fly by Sat, right;-)
Well this is my first non trivial build (the EZ* turned out to be like an hour of work if that, plus glue/epoxy drying time). So who knows it may take me much longer.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
Wallington, New Jersey, USA
Joined Apr 2010
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post
maiden'd the fun cub tonight! it flew great, no mishaps. was a bit windy so it was hard to tell, but i think i may need to add a new mix....when banking the tail seems to fall to the low side a little more than i am comfortable with. does this have to do with being tail heavy potentially? or is there something i can do with a mix to counteract that, or is that just an inherant trait? the planed pulled slightly to the right, seemed to want to climb quite a bit too. like i said it was pretty windy so some of it was tough to tell, but all in all a good first flight! thanks for all your help so far!
Coordinated turns help. Use the rudder stick in turns to keep the tail up.
hugofly is offline Find More Posts by hugofly
Old May 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Maiden

I got the maiden in this morning. For about 2 hrs, I have an almost windless day. The flight and the day were perfect. The only thing that I need a little help with is that the plane flies "heavy". What I mean by that is the plane does not want to turn because it is constantly going too slow - like it was dramatically tail heavy. I checked the CG many times before I flew it and it was right on (80mm from LE). I have a few trim issues, but those are easily handled. One thing that might help is that when I got up high and used full flaps (85-90 degrees down), it glided like it was on rails. The only other way to describe it is that it felt like there was too much AOI on the wing. Of course, I checked that and the wing was solidly on the fuselage and all aileron and flap surfaces were as expected (flat with respect to the contour of the wing). Also, it flew inverted as well as it did right side up - Too much so IMO). Maybe you guys can see something in the video that help. TIA.
AJ
P.S. Later, I will edit it some more to get it under 3 mins.

Fun Cub - Maiden.MOV (3 min 26 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 26, 2011, 05:54 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
FWIW.....I would move the CG forward 5-10mm and use more rudder when your flying , try a small mix of rudder into aileron

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old May 26, 2011, 05:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I got the maiden in this morning. For about 2 hrs, I have an almost windless day. The flight and the day were perfect. The only thing that I need a little help with is that the plane flies "heavy". What I mean by that is the plane does not want to turn because it is constantly going too slow - like it was dramatically tail heavy. I checked the CG many times before I flew it and it was right on (80mm from LE). I have a few trim issues, but those are easily handled. One thing that might help is that when I got up high and used full flaps (85-90 degrees down), it glided like it was on rails. The only other way to describe it is that it felt like there was too much AOI on the wing. Of course, I checked that and the wing was solidly on the fuselage and all aileron and flap surfaces were as expected (flat with respect to the contour of the wing). Also, it flew inverted as well as it did right side up - Too much so IMO). Maybe you guys can see something in the video that help. TIA.
AJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP341xGwgL4

AJ,

Beautiful day for flying you have there. The Funcub looks good. Try moving the CG forward. I think you will like it better. Try 70 mm for starters since you tend to like flying aft CGs. Mine is a 65 mm and it is perfect for me.

By the way, how did you achieve 80 mm CG?

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
AJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP341xGwgL4
I'm jealous! And the yellow looks great! You say it's flying heavy, what prop are you using again? It seemed to generally do what you wanted it to do with that motor which is what I was hoping for. 3s 2200 battery?

Mine is almost here.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:28 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
FWIW.....I would move the CG forward 5-10mm and use more rudder when your flying , try a small mix of rudder into aileron

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

Beautiful day for flying you have there. The Funcub looks good. Try moving the CG forward. I think you will like it better. Try 70 mm for starters since you tend to like flying aft CGs. Mine is a 65 mm and it is perfect for me.

By the way, how did you achieve 80 mm CG?

Bill
Wow. You guys are right on it. Thank you for your feedback. I will give it a try at 70mm. Bill-You sure have my number on CG's. The more aft it is, the more I like it. It comes from my 3D habits. However, this motor does not seem to have enough power to allow that. I am not sure how much more power I would get out of a different prop because I don't even have the first set of #'s yet from the FC like it is configured. I am currently using a 10x6 JXF prop right now. I will get both of you the #'s a bit later for your consideration. I didn't get the #'s like I usually do because I was confident that the configs that I have seen around for this motor were conservative (I know, not a good idea - my bad).
For the current CG - I had to stuff the battery (2300mah 25C 3S1P) quite a ways back into the fuse. AUW 37.9 oz. - W/L 9.28 oz/ft
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Prof100...

I had to take mine to 65mm CG also as the MM default was way too tail-heavy as was written above...

Love this little plane though and amazing how effective the flaps are on this Fun Cub... She will easily Touch and Go, Roll, and Loop, Sport Flying at half throttle for 30 minutes on this FlightPower EVO2500, 3S, 30C Lipo my buddies suggested I use instead of buying a new 2100 as recommended... Total weight is a nice 37.5oz and with that weight she has a much more stable and decent penetration than with my lightweight ThunderPower Pro Lite V2, 1800, 3S does... A 4oz battery just doesn't cut it... I started with a Park480\1020kv and she flew great but I needed that motor for another plane so I picked up a new Common Sense RC E8-S-12\1300kv and it installed identical to the Park480... These Common Sense RC outrunners are very sweet motors, super quiet and very strong... My 11x7 was too much for the new motor as she was pulling 35.5 amps at full throttle so I called them and they recommended either changing to a 2S with it's lower voltage with an 11.5.5 or staying with the 3S and dropping to a 9x4.5... Seems a pretty small prop for this plane but burning up a new motor thats rated for 24 amps by loading her down and drawing 35 amps is not going to work either... At half throttle or less today the 11x7 was fine for the new motor but I need to remove her loading risk... Still this new Common Sense motor being rated at 39oz of thrust on a 37oz plane moves her pretty fast... Silver soldered additional gear struts per others mods and that makes a great improvement on this little bird...

Just wanted to share a bit...
Happy Flying...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old May 26, 2011, 07:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Wow. You guys are right on it. Thank you for your feedback. I will give it a try at 70mm. Bill-You sure have my number on CG's. The more aft it is, the more I like it. It comes from my 3D habits. However, this motor does not seem to have enough power to allow that. I am not sure how much more power I would get out of a different prop because I don't even have the first set of #'s yet from the FC like it is configured. I am currently using a 10x6 JXF prop right now. I will get both of you the #'s a bit later for your consideration. I didn't get the #'s like I usually do because I was confident that the configs that I have seen around for this motor were conservative (I know, not a good idea - my bad).
For the current CG - I had to stuff the battery (2300mah 25C 3S1P) quite a ways back into the fuse. AUW 37.9 oz. - W/L 9.28 oz/ft
AJ
AJ,

FYI, my 2200 3S Nanotech is stuffed all the way back to the rear vent hole and I am still at 65 mm.

For a prop you need to install the 35-36c 1100 KV prop of choice -- 11x7 APCE. It's what that motor needs. Trust Uncle Bill on this recommendation. You are not going to fly this plane wide open.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 07:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8 View Post
Prof100...

I had to take mine to 65mm CG also as the MM default was way too tail-heavy as was written above...

Love this little plane though and amazing how effective the flaps are on this Fun Cub... She will easily Touch and Go, Roll, and Loop, Sport Flying at half throttle for 30 minutes on this FlightPower EVO2500, 3S, 30C Lipo my buddies suggested I use instead of buying a new 2100 as recommended... Total weight is a nice 37.5oz and with that weight she has a much more stable and decent penetration than with my lightweight ThunderPower Pro Lite V2, 1800, 3S does... A 4oz battery just doesn't cut it... I started with a Park480\1020kv and she flew great but I needed that motor for another plane so I picked up a new Common Sense RC E8-S-12\1300kv and it installed identical to the Park480... These Common Sense RC outrunners are very sweet motors, super quiet and very strong... My 11x7 was too much for the new motor as she was pulling 35.5 amps at full throttle so I called them and they recommended either changing to a 2S with it's lower voltage with an 11.5.5 or staying with the 3S and dropping to a 9x4.5... Seems a pretty small prop for this plane but burning up a new motor thats rated for 24 amps by loading her down and drawing 35 amps is not going to work either... At half throttle or less today the 11x7 was fine for the new motor but I need to remove her loading risk... Still this new Common Sense motor being rated at 39oz of thrust on a 37oz plane moves her pretty fast... Silver soldered additional gear struts per others mods and that makes a great improvement on this little bird...

Just wanted to share a bit...
Happy Flying...
bnick
bnick,

Thanks for sharing. I have 2650 3S 40-50C Turnigy lipo I want to try. I took off the bungees on the gear. It didn't seem to help much. I like your gear mod. I can even tig weld up something like you made.

I am glad you like the CommonSenseRC motors. I had some real problems with their lipos and refuse to buy a thing from them, but I am sure they have good products as well. I am just not one of their customers.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
For a prop you need to install the 35-36c 1100 KV prop of choice -- 11x7 APCE. It's what that motor needs. Trust Uncle Bill on this recommendation. You are not going to fly this plane wide open.
But I'd like to be able to go vertical at times without worrying about torching the motor. This is the only reason I am considering the 11x5.5 or even 10x5.