HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
HUH???? What does that mean? I have skimmed some of that thread. I guess I missed the ugly part.
Ron
Dont be put off .ifn you use the rx that comes with it you will be ok ,
I have yet to test the SPMAR600 wich I now have for full range use.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpnDown View Post
Question 1

I now have my flaps working but how should they be set?
At full deflection, should they be straight down - 90 degrees to the wing? And half that at the first step?
Neither the Fun Cub manual nor the DX7 manual bothers to explain this.

Question 2

The FC manual says that when the motor adjusting screws
are "flush" there will be maximum side thrust and no down thrust.

I find just the opposite - downthrust but no side thrust.

Which one of us is confused?
I'm "Gilding The Lily" as we speak. No silly, I mean the Fun Cub.. it's almost done!
As far as the 1st step in the Flaps, I would try setting this one to 40-45 degrees.
As far as the motor thrust, interesting. You know these Germans tend to confuse us a lot.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old May 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
ids911
GA
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
mbreslin,
I have the following setup;
differential 20%, that gets the suggested up/down travel
For flaps I have the following;
Mid position 20% flap and 22% elev
Land full down and 35% elev.
I have the flap speed set to 1.4seconds which makes it look relaistic

I typcial use 35% expo on aileron and elevator.

Hope this helps
Ian
ids911 is offline Find More Posts by ids911
Old May 25, 2011, 11:22 PM
ids911
GA
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
To question 1, yes, at full deflection they should be 90deg to the wing. The "mid" position is up to you, Mine are set about 45 deg's

For the motor adjusting screws, I measured and set the gap between the screw heads and the motor mount to the recommended dimensions. Have not had to adjust different to that, the FC flys great as is.

Ian
ids911 is offline Find More Posts by ids911
Old May 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ids911 View Post
mbreslin,
I have the following setup;
differential 20%, that gets the suggested up/down travel
For flaps I have the following;
Mid position 20% flap and 22% elev
Land full down and 35% elev.
I have the flap speed set to 1.4seconds which makes it look relaistic

I typcial use 35% expo on aileron and elevator.

Hope this helps
Ian
Great info, thanks!
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
Great info, thanks!
Attention: Those values are only helpful, if you are using the same brand of radio, same mix setups and all your servo arms have the same effective length.

It is much better do describe control surface deflections in actual measurements - like in the manual - as those are independent from all other variables.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 26, 2011, 01:29 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
I set 15 and 45 degrees flaps on my FC. Having a ball flying it. Going to increase the flap angle for some three point spot landing.

Try any angle you like. Its “Fun” Cub.
VinCopter is offline Find More Posts by VinCopter
Old May 26, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Question 1

At full deflection, should they be straight down - 90 degrees to the wing? And half that at the first step?

Question 2

The flap option is for advanced pilots and they will set the flaps iaw. personal preference. Using servo arms with an effective length of 26mm - as per instruction manual - and installing them as shown, should give you approx. 90° full down.

Regarding side-/downthrust, the manual is correct. With all four adjusting screws set flush with the backside of the motor mount, you already have sidethrust (due to the asymmetrical installation of the motor mount holders in the fuselage), but no downthrust.

Therefore you need to adjust the screws, so that the top ones protrude about 3mm on the back of the motor mount and the bottom ones only 1.5mm.

This will give you the basic amount of downthrust to start with.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ids911 View Post
For the motor adjusting screws, I measured and set the gap between the screw heads and the motor mount to the recommended dimensions. Have not had to adjust different to that, the FC flys great as is.

Ian
Hi Ian,

you need to measure the length of the screw shafts protruding at the backside of the motor mount:
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 02:25 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Getting anxious.

Quote:
Question 1

Question 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinCopter View Post
I set 15 and 45 degrees flaps on my FC. Having a ball flying it. Going to increase the flap angle for some three point spot landing.

Try any angle you like. Its “Fun” Cub.
+1.
1. That is just one of many shortcomings of the manual. IMO, set the flaps anywhere you want. I set mine to go from level to 90 degrees. I still have to maiden the FC to see what it will do. But, I recently set flaps to 90 degrees on pusher glider and the results were amazing. With throttle off, it is like hitting the down button on a passenger elevator - it is very smooth and stable. It is very cool to watch. From 90 degrees to 0 will let YOU know where YOU like it best. I don't think there is a right or wrong to this setting (given a calm day and going up high for testing).

2. I started by screwing in the top screws on the motor mount in about 3mm. That is enough for starters, I think. The book suggests something a little different. Take a look a page #11 - step20. The book gives pretty crappy instructions and it might not make any sense. I had to read it many, many times for it to just START to make any sense. Therefore, I suggest that you save yourself the frustration and screw the top screws in 3mm. I look forward to comparing notes with you to see what we experience.

Again, I am waiting for some good weather to maiden it.
To kill some time, I am putting strut covers on the LG and painting the motor and etc. - you know, busy work. I am probably just as anxious as mbreslin to get to that flying part of this deal.
Oh. Have either of you guys put on your decals (yet)? That is another MPX joke too. There are a lot of "extra" decals and the placement of the ones that are obvious are excellent - if you didn't use any servos.
AJ
P.S. I did a bit of rearranging so the major decals on the sides would not hit the servos. I will take some pictures when I am done. I used some Clear Kote on the yellow and wreaked the nice smooth finish.

mbreslin-How are you doing with your decals?
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 26, 2011, 02:35 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Take a look a page #11 - step20. The book gives pretty crappy instructions and it might not make any sense. I had to read it many, many times for it to just START to make any sense. Therefore, I suggest that you save yourself the frustration and screw the top screws in 3mm. I look forward to comparing notes with you to see what we experience.
That is another MPX joke too. There are a lot of "extra" decals and the placement of the ones that are obvious are excellent - if you didn't use any servos.
Why not have a look at Fig. 28 as recommended in the manual? You install the top screws so they protrude 3mm and the bottom ones to protrude 1.5mm - that's it. Simple, ey?

The decals are supposed to go over the servos and hide them. Where's the problem?

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 02:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Numbers

Hey you 3 or 4 guys that are building a FC - Do any of you have some WattsUP numbers on you configuration and a listing of that configuration? It is too late at night for me to make all that noise. So, I will post my numbers tomorrow. Stay tuned... Same time.... Same bat channel (anyone remember that from too many years ago?)
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 26, 2011, 02:50 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
When looking for a picture of the servo installation, I found a very nice, detailled build thread:

http://www.fpv-flieger.de/component/...multiplex.html

It's in German, but pictures say more than a thousand words anyway.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post
... but i think i may need to add a new mix....when banking the tail seems to fall to the low side a little more than i am comfortable with. does this have to do with being tail heavy potentially? or is there something i can do with a mix to counteract that, or is that just an inherant trait?
You need a bit of rudder into the turn. Others have reported that moving CofG forward reduces the requirement. However its not unusual for a high wing plane to need some rudder, especially if it has a bit of dihedral.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 26, 2011, 03:36 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
When looking for a picture of the servo installation, I found a very nice, detailled build thread:

http://www.fpv-flieger.de/component/...multiplex.html

It's in German, but pictures say more than a thousand words anyway.

Jürgen
That's a nice build report, love the details.
VinCopter is offline Find More Posts by VinCopter