Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Flight plan - Pre Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
I got this one awhile back I think its the same thing
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RC-Timer-Bat...item2a0ef3ec9e 3 bucks less.
I already have two watt meters. I have a WattsUP that I carry in my car and a Turnigy Watt Meter that I have on my workbench. I guess I'll have one now for my other workbench in the little garage. Tomorrow, I am going to get the #'s on my Fun Cub. It is 98% or so done at this time. I just need to build a battery box, apply the decals, and set the CG (80mm from LE) and balance the prop. I will post the #'s when I have them - Tomorrow hopefully. No flying - Rain most of the day. Here is the configuration, so far.
35-36C 1000Kv Turnigy
10x6 prop (I have everything else except a 10x5 - which was recommended)
2300mah 3S1P 25C LiPo Korean
40A HobbyWing ESC (switchmode)
AUW 37.9oz.
AJ
Anyone - Does the RCTimer Watt Meter Hold the readings - like Vm Ap Wp and mah consumed after a flight? I read a few places on the specs of it and it does not appear that the holds those readings. Hence, the question.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 25, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I use ailerons and elevator in my right hand. All the secondary functions are handled by switches. So, I am not clear on your problem. Since I rarely use the rudder, can that meet your needs if you do the same thing?
Not really a problem, its just that I'd like the flap controls on the left hand side and the restricted/buggy programming of my transmitter makes that difficult to set up.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Contols Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Not really a problem, its just that I'd like the flap controls on the left hand side and the restricted/buggy programming of my transmitter makes that difficult to set up.
Ah. Got it. It all makes sense now. Thanks.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 25, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
first flight

maiden'd the fun cub tonight! it flew great, no mishaps. was a bit windy so it was hard to tell, but i think i may need to add a new mix....when banking the tail seems to fall to the low side a little more than i am comfortable with. does this have to do with being tail heavy potentially? or is there something i can do with a mix to counteract that, or is that just an inherant trait? the planed pulled slightly to the right, seemed to want to climb quite a bit too. like i said it was pretty windy so some of it was tough to tell, but all in all a good first flight! thanks for all your help so far!
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Old May 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post
when banking the tail seems to fall to the low side...seemed to want to climb quite a bit too
Sounds like you answered your own question! Try batt forward and see. I'm jealous I can't wait to fly mine! It's here Friday hopefully built and maiden'd by the end of memorial weekend.

mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuznWeakEyes View Post
So Ron, you're really only 39, have had your DX7 for awhile and, that's why you only look 65, eh? hehe.....

Cuzn

Cuzn, Some of that is very close.
I am getting a DX 8, that will teach em.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old May 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Cuzn, Some of that is very close.
I am getting a DX 8, that will teach em.
Ron
WARNING: Be careful of the DX8 thread, it's a minefield.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
WARNING: Be careful of the DX8 thread, it's a minefield.
HUH???? What does that mean? I have skimmed some of that thread. I guess I missed the ugly part.
Ron
Old May 25, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
HUH???? What does that mean? I have skimmed some of that thread. I guess I missed the ugly part.
Ron
Well, you know what they say. Opinions are like ______ everyone's got one.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old May 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
There are some issues with some older receivers and some transmitters, nobody really knows how widespread it is. The back and forth about it from spektrum haters plus people who have legitimately lost planes plus people who seem likely to be pretending to have lost planes just to pile on spektrum has been pretty ugly indeed.

I was just trying to give a little warning. When I was looking into a new radio I stumbled into that mess and it nearly turned me off. I'm glad I didn't now, the DX8 is great and I can't wait to use all its goodies on the funcub.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
There are some issues with some older receivers and some transmitters, nobody really knows how widespread it is. The back and forth about it from spektrum haters plus people who have legitimately lost planes plus people who seem likely to be pretending to have lost planes just to pile on spektrum has been pretty ugly indeed.

I was just trying to give a little warning. When I was looking into a new radio I stumbled into that mess and it nearly turned me off. I'm glad I didn't now, the DX8 is great and I can't wait to use all its goodies on the funcub.

Oh yeah I have had problems with AR500s, I don't use them anymore. But I have never had a dimes worth of problems from Spektrum transmitters.
Besides I have a Futaba Super 8, which is the "last transmitter that you will ever need. A 9CAP which is the "last transmitter that you ever need". A DX7 which is the "last transmitter you will ever need". So now I need a DX8, I should be good to go for several lifetimes.
Cheap life insurance, you see.
Ron
Old May 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah I have had problems with AR500s, I don't use them anymore. But I have never had a dimes worth of problems from Spektrum transmitters.
Besides I have a Futaba Super 8, which is the "last transmitter that you will ever need. A 9CAP which is the "last transmitter that you ever need". A DX7 which is the "last transmitter you will ever need". So now I need a DX8, I should be good to go for several lifetimes.
Cheap life insurance, you see.
Ron
That's why I got the DX8! It's all you'll ever need!

(unless you need more channels, or actual sailplane support, or lighter receivers, and on and on)
Old May 25, 2011, 09:51 PM
ids911
GA
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
I switched from a DX7 to DX8 and have not looked back. Really like it and have had not issues with it. Will gladly share the setup file for the FunCub if anyone wants it
Ian
ids911 is offline Find More Posts by ids911
Old May 25, 2011, 09:55 PM
Elk Grove, California
Joined Dec 2004
110 Posts
Flaps and motor thrust ? ?

Question 1

I now have my flaps working but how should they be set?
At full deflection, should they be straight down - 90 degrees to the wing? And half that at the first step?
Neither the Fun Cub manual nor the DX7 manual bothers to explain this.

Question 2

The FC manual says that when the motor adjusting screws
are "flush" there will be maximum side thrust and no down thrust.

I find just the opposite - downthrust but no side thrust.

Which one of us is confused?
UpnDown is offline Find More Posts by UpnDown
Old May 25, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ids911 View Post
I switched from a DX7 to DX8 and have not looked back. Really like it and have had not issues with it. Will gladly share the setup file for the FunCub if anyone wants it
Ian
I will have her up on blocks for awhile setting up the radio so I won't take your file as I see this as a chance to really figure out the radio. I am interested in some of your settings though, expo, differential, etc?

Thanks!