SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2011, 08:06 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Suppose it depends how you hold your transmitter, I fly Mode 1 (throttle/Aileron on right stick) and have never had issue moving sliders by mistake, thats why they are at the top and out of the way.

Best of luck with your new transmitter, which ever make it is.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Cheers. The Optic 6 is a nice set, its just spoiled for me because it doesn't work as documented in a couple of ways which happen to matter for me. I can see that Mode 1 vs 2 makes a difference - I'm Mode 2 and with primary controls on the right hand, I really want to use my left for secondary functions.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I'm Mode 2 and with primary controls on the right hand, I really want to use my left for secondary functions.
There are no secondary functions on a FunCub. You work with throttle and rudder most of the time too.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's a video from our recent float fly. I was chasing my buddy's T-28 around with my FC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zKShRaBGvI
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old May 24, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
There are no secondary functions on a FunCub. You work with throttle and rudder most of the time too.

Jürgen
I'm sure you're right. I'm too lazy with the rudder. Actually by "secondary" I meant things like flaps, gear and airbrakes. All the same, taking your point I am happier letting go of the throttle/rudder stick for a second or so, but hate doing anything else with my right hand. A hang over from learning initially on two channel gliders maybe.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
I dont hold sticks, I use my thumb, Index finger is for operating other switches.

Video blocked by EMI crazyj.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpnDown View Post
My Funcub is about ready to fly, but I can't get the flaps to work. If I use the aux channel and a Y harness, they move like ailerons. If I put one flap on the gear channel and mix them, the one on gear doesn't move in two steps like the other one.

I have not used flaps before, so I admit my ignorance.

How do I make them move together and in two steps?

UpnDown,

First, I have to ask, how did your parents know to name you for the problem you would now be having?

The issue is that the flap servos are mounted the same way as the aileron servos, with the output shafts mirrored about the fuselage centerline. When mounting flap servos like this they will always work in opposite directions when fed a common signal. Instead you need to feed them two different signals. This is typically done by using individual channels for the two flap servos, using a reverse rotation servo on one side, or by using a y-harness that reverses one of the servos electronically. The Maxx Products Miracle-Y sells for about $20.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5.html

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old May 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
That is what I call having Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

As I recall, a 10x5 will deliver about 30 amps.

Here is a 3 year old video of a T28 with 11x7 APCE running 35-36C. The pack was 18C 3S 2200. The whole flight was WOT. The pack only lasted about 20 flights but I didn't care, I was having too much fun. That motor survived serveral crashes and shaft replacements. Two years of abuse. Of course, not every flight was like this. Amps were 36-38.

Bill
Yup. Everyone should have at least one really FUN plane like that. Your eyes are better than mine. I would have lost it on the first vertical.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
I just went through the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpnDown View Post
My Funcub is about ready to fly, but I can't get the flaps to work. If I use the aux channel and a Y harness, they move like ailerons. If I put one flap on the gear channel and mix them, the one on gear doesn't move in two steps like the other one.

I have not used flaps before, so I admit my ignorance.

How do I make them move together and in two steps?
A "Y" harness will work for #'s 1, 2, 4. (unless you want to modify the insides of a single servo - not for the feint of heart). Then, you can use the AUX channel to control the flaps. What radio you have is of no consequence. So, here are your choices:
1. (most popular) - Flip one of the servos over and cut away a little foam so it fits.
2. Get a servo reverser for one of the servos. (this was my choice).
3. Reprogram your radio (if possible) to accomodate flaps control on two different channels (i.e. AUX1, AUX2). Even though my radio will do this, I opted not to use if because if it fails in the field, it is a pain in the neck to remember how to reprogram it.
4. Reverse the leads to the servo motor. (not recommended for beginners).
AJ
Old May 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Secondary functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Cheers. The Optic 6 is a nice set, its just spoiled for me because it doesn't work as documented in a couple of ways which happen to matter for me. I can see that Mode 1 vs 2 makes a difference - I'm Mode 2 and with primary controls on the right hand, I really want to use my left for secondary functions.
I use ailerons and elevator in my right hand. All the secondary functions are handled by switches. So, I am not clear on your problem. Since I rarely use the rudder, can that meet your needs if you do the same thing?
AJ
Old May 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. Everyone should have at least one really FUN plane like that. Your eyes are better than mine. I would have lost it on the first vertical.
AJ
AJ,

On that day of that flight the weather and sun were in a perfect position to keep orientation of the white T28.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Warning!:

Reversing the leads of the servo motor will make your servo run full speed to its end position and may damage your servo gears.

In order to reverse a servo, you need to swap the motor wires and the outer wires of the servo potentiometer.

Jürgen
Old May 24, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
AJ
ATTENTION:

Reversing the leads of the servo motor will make your servo run full speed to its end position and may damage your servo gears.

In order to reverse a servo, you need to swap the motor wires and the outer wires of the servo potentiometer.

Jürgen
Old May 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
ATTENTION:

Jürgen
This was a routine procedure 30-40 years ago
However
moving the servo cavity over is soooo much quicker n easier
and perfectly safe
PS the 10 EFlite on 13x4 prop on 30 C 1800ma 3s battery is sparkling!!
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 24, 2011, 06:45 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Servo reversing on some of the newer types via wire swapping is made a lot more difficult as the potentiometer/motor is directly soldered to the circuit board.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod