HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 08:48 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Sure. Run 60A through that motor. And bring some marshmallows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
I have 5 hs-55's and 2 mg90's, are there seperate places for 4 servos for ailerons/flaps?

Also any servo extensions needed?

And finally, is a plush 40a esc enough for the 35-36C 1100kv and 11x7 prop?

Thanks!
I have read all the posts and everyone seems to have missed the rating of the motor. It specifically states that it can withstand 35A for 30 seconds. In my interpretation that means it is probably rated at 30A cont. So, putting a bigger ESC and bigger prop will just result in burning up the motor. Below is the result of that. It made a believer out of me.

AJ
P.S. This is a Turnigy Plush with all the safety features employed. But, if overamped slowly, I can believe that a lot of ESC's would fry.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydiah View Post
Just found out about the Multiplex Fun Cub. I'm coming from a Parkzone T-28. Anyone flown both the Fun Cub and the T-28 that can compare them?

How does the Fun Cub do in the wind? Its generally pretty windy where i am, and I need something that can cut through wind
Guessing this got lost in the shuffle.

Any thoughts?
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old May 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumerm View Post
I purchased one of these from HeadsUpRC as a spare. Have not installed it, but the dimensions are the same.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...aft-for/Detail

Martin
Grabbed a couple, thanks!
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumerm View Post
11x7 might be a little too much, but an APC E 11x5.5 has worked fine for me with the Turnigy 35-36C and the Plush 40A (55A Peak) ESC. I measured static current draw at 34A on 3S cells.

Martin
I already grabbed a 55A turnigy esc, bigger esc no worries! Thanks though, would have definitely went a little cheaper with a 40a plush.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have read all the posts and everyone seems to have missed the rating of the motor. It specifically states that it can withstand 35A for 30 seconds. In my interpretation that means it is probably rated at 30A cont. So, putting a bigger ESC and bigger prop will just result in burning up the motor. Below is the result of that. It made a believer out of me.

AJ
P.S. This is a Turnigy Plush with all the safety features employed. But, if overamped slowly, I can believe that a lot of ESC's would fry.
You are the one who said you just copy Prof100! I am seriously thinking of parroting someone else! Do you think 11x7 is too much prop for that motor?

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Guessing this got lost in the shuffle.

Any thoughts?
You will do fine. You will learn to curse when you ground loop the tail dragger though
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old May 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
You are the one who said you just copy Prof100! I am seriously thinking of parroting someone else! Do you think 11x7 is too much prop for that motor?

Thanks.
mbreslin,

A 11x7 is fine with a 60 amp ESC just don't fly the darn thing wide open for the whole flight. When lipos were 20C or less a 40 amp was fine. With the newer packs you need some more headroom. Think of doing it in bursts such as vertical climb, then back off to normal cruise speed. I flew the same 35-36C in T-28 for over two years and I tortured the heck of it but I never flew continuouly at wide open.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You will do fine. You will learn to curse when you ground loop the tail dragger though
How does it do in the wind? The T-28 was great when the winds picked up, and since its basically always windy here, I need something that can handle it
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old May 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
How does it do in the wind? The T-28 was great when the winds picked up, and since its basically always windy here, I need something that can handle it
Go back in the thread, there are some posts of guys flying these by the ocean with a steady breeze. They are quite good. However, no planes are going to survive a wind the varies from 20 knots to zero. They all drop out of the sky..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 11:30 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Have a look at the video here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5252

It was quite windy on Sunday. It is more a matter of piloting skills. Strong wind while airborne is usually not a problem, but when you model turns into a tumbleweed when on the ground, you are in trouble.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 23, 2011, 12:21 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
The Funcub is not an aircraft that cuts through the wind, is my experience. It is relatively slow, low wing loading. But it's flyable. Actually, it's fun!

I discovered that the windspeed limit is lower when you are NOT flying. I know the tall trees have effect on this. But I still think a good measure is that when it doesn't want to stay on the wheels anymore, it's better not to fly .....

Check:
Multiplex Funcub taxi problem in windy conditions (0 min 51 sec)

And just before this video I made some flights. Ok, shaky, but as you see it's possible:
Funcub flight in windy conditions (9 min 53 sec)
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old May 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Quick question - I've got a Torque 2814T/820 and an Airboss 45 Amp ESC. Would this combo work in the Fun Cub with a 3S 2200 and 13 x6.5 prop?

MLT
Any help on this? This is a 14 turn motor and 820KV and weights 143 gr. I plan to get the FunCub for my Daughter and wanted to know if this motor/esc will work since I already have it on my bench.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old May 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,297 Posts
Quote:
Any help on this? This is a 14 turn motor and 820KV and weights 143 gr. I plan to get the FunCub for my Daughter and wanted to know if this motor/esc will work since I already have it on my bench.

MLT

That motor sounds fine, but I'm not sure the 45a esc will be enough. Have you ran that combo up with a Wattmeter? That's the only way to know for sure...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:

MLT
If that motor's got enough oomph to turn a 13x6.5 prop, then that's a monstrous amount of power for this plane. Which you might think is a good thing, of course!
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old May 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Quick question - I've got a Torque 2814T/820 and an Airboss 45 Amp ESC. Would this combo work in the Fun Cub with a 3S 2200 and 13 x6.5 prop?

MLT
You can always start with a smaller prop to make it tamer for your daughter.

Make sure that you have the newer Airboss ESC with SBEC, otherwise you need a seperate BEC to power those servos.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig