HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Has anyone tried a 3-blade prop? I am now running 11x5.5, but on long grass, it is a grass mower... Don't want 10x6 because I prefer the slower high thrust character.

So then I thought about a 9" or 10" three blade with relatively low pitch as alternative.
not the same thing - no matter how you select pitch/blade width. The ONLY advantageof a multi blade setup is to reduce diameter (increase ground clearance). It has to do with prop disc efficency
rebend gear to gain ground clearance is a better trade off
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holda29 View Post
Hello,
may I ask you if Flightmax 4s 2650mAh will fit into this airplane? I have few of them, and I am thinking about buying this model airplane and I would like to use them.
Thanks.
Although it would fit sizewise, I personally would not use such a heavy battery in a FunCub.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 22, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Multiplex screwed up and forgot about the people that only have a 4ch radio for R/E/T/F.
Hardly anybody in Europe uses 4CH radios for model flying. Even the cheapest rx systems usually provides a 2 servo aileron option and you need separate channels anyway (or an "intelligent" Y-cable) to set up the required aileron differential.

Jürgen
Old May 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Although it would fit sizewise, I personally would not use such a heavy battery in a FunCub.

Jürgen
I agree, a 4S 2650 would be too heavy for this very fun and nimble plane.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old May 22, 2011, 10:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
If you do a search in this thread for "flaps" you'll find lots of posts about this issue.

Many options have already been listed for you, but my choice was most simple and only involved a sharp x-acto. Simply flip one servo over, mark around it with a pen, cut out a new pocket with your x-acto, glue your servo in and whala!
I'm with that too...done it on several planes. The problem with reversing a servo by moving the motor and pot wires is the centering may not match and isn't really adjustable. You could end up with flap servos with different centers and throw amounts...that'll cause problems.

Y-harness servo reversers have been around for a long time. Most have some sort of small pot adjustment so you can center the arm on the reversed servo to match the other flap servo. They do add an extra failure point though.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Hardly anybody in Europe uses 4CH radios for model flying. Even the cheapest rx systems usually provides a 2 servo aileron option and you need separate channels anyway (or an "intelligent" Y-cable) to set up the required aileron differential.

Jürgen
That maybe true in some cases but many still fly park flyers etc on a cheap 4 channel transmitter, no need for fancy stuff.

No requirement for two channels for ailerons either, use a standard Y lead and mechanical adjustment of horn angles etc to get differential if required.
I have a couple of small planes that use one servo for both and still have aileron differential.

We never even used to have servo reversing on transmitters (could buy reversed servos if needed), not sure how you would have got on then without fancy mixes etc.

Some Transmitters now, even have switches for Flick/Snap roll, I mean how lazy can you get.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; May 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
shaprap: First time I have seen a "squadron" on this thread.....looks like a terrific time you guys are having! Show us some formation flights..........
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old May 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Your solution is a great one IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Have a look at the Turnigy 3 Channel Reverser for under $10. As well as reversing, it lets you slow the movement.
Perfect. That is the solution that works the best for me. A big THANK YOU and 2 cool guys for you.
AJ
Thanks to all the other folks that mentioned that "fix" also. There are too many of you to quote without taking up a whole page. So, again, thanks to all.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Some Transmitters now, even have switches for Flick/Snap roll, I mean how lazy can you get.
Those transmitters have been around for over 30 years now.

Jürgen
Old May 22, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
shaprap: First time I have seen a "squadron" on this thread.....looks like a terrific time you guys are having! ...
15+ Fun Cubs this weekend at the same flying field (near Frankfurt):
Old May 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Nice, all have their own call sign .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old May 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I was having some fun with my funcub yesterday...

I found a kind of aerobatic maneuver, using full rudder, nearly WOT and control roll axis with the ailerons... It looks like a flat spin, but with the ailerons I could change the rotational speed.

How is this called?

Funcub flat power spin (1 min 34 sec)
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old May 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
50 Posts
Quote:
Ok, guys. I'm not stumped yet. But, I am getting close. How do I get the servos moving in the same direction for the flaps. Here are my guesses so far:
1. Multiplex screwed up and forgot about the people that only have a 4ch radio for R/E/T/F. So, tough nuts... Hack up the wing by cutting another servo hole in the wing.
2. Buy a servo reverser - $19.00 just about everywhere.
3. I have a 9ch radio (really 8 for aero) - hack around the program and figure out how to mix them to accomplish correct movement (requires 2 channels??).
4. A "Y" cable will not work as it appears.

It would have been a good idea for MPX to do this thing right. With the same hole on each side, ALL radios would have worked just fine. "Y" cable with no mixing or fancy programming. I am disappointed in MPX and I consider this a serious screw up by the design team.
AJ
I used a Servo GoSlow from Electronic Model Sstems that I picked up in Toledo. Allows second servo to reverse, and control the speed of proportional servos. Independently adjustable in each direction from full speed to 15 second transit. Gives cool scale deployment with faster retraction. Plugged into Flap channel on Futaba Rx, 3 position offset. I set up 0*, 30*, and 70*. Slow deployment (~4 seconds) reduces pitch severity as plane slows as flaps deploy. Faster retraction (~1 second) for emergency. Also great for mechanical retracts.
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Old May 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie View Post
I used a Servo GoSlow from Electronic Model Sstems that I picked up in Toledo. Allows second servo to reverse, and control the speed of proportional servos. Independently adjustable in each direction from full speed to 15 second transit. Gives cool scale deployment with faster retraction. Plugged into Flap channel on Futaba Rx, 3 position offset. I set up 0*, 30*, and 70*. Slow deployment (~4 seconds) reduces pitch severity as plane slows as flaps deploy. Faster retraction (~1 second) for emergency. Also great for mechanical retracts.
It sure has a lot of features. However, all I need is for the servo to simply reverse. Also, the cost is a bit high at $26USD. awsmith made the perfect recommendation (for me). But, thanks for sharing your research. If I ever need a high feature servo controller, that is a great choice. I have it bookmarked for future reference.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 22, 2011, 04:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
It sure has a lot of features. However, all I need is for the servo to simply reverse. Also, the cost is a bit high at $26USD. awsmith made the perfect recommendation (for me). But, thanks for sharing your research. If I ever need a high feature servo controller, that is a great choice. I have it bookmarked for future reference.
AJ
aj, why not just yank the servo out and flip it over as suggested?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE