HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
So while I'm waiting for various parts to come in I thought I would ask, is this a plane that can be flown (turned) using mostly rudder? This will be my first aileron plane and I'd like to ease into them, if not it's not a huge deal but it sure would be nice.
You will be surprised at the ease of the change to ail control.
With the 4 ch setup you will have the ail and ele on the right stick and throttle and rudder on left stick. For easy flying around you will use about the same amount of elevator in the turns as you do with a RET 3 ch. (bank and yank) Steering on the ground will be your first challenge. You will find out what all the talk about the dumb left thumb is about. If you have learned to do a stall turn with the 3ch, you will have to unlearn that and learn with the left hand.

Good flying.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
You will be surprised at the ease of the change to ail control.
With the 4 ch setup you will have the ail and ele on the right stick and throttle and rudder on left stick. For easy flying around you will use about the same amount of elevator in the turns as you do with a RET 3 ch. (bank and yank) Steering on the ground will be your first challenge. You will find out what all the talk about the dumb left thumb is about. If you have learned to do a stall turn with the 3ch, you will have to unlearn that and learn with the left hand.

Good flying.

Anton
Thanks, I'm excited, but nervous. (!)
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
We all fly Mode one down under... and in Great Britain...much easier than tying to mix roll and pitch on the same stick...
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old May 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
I dont think theres as many as there used to be flying Mode 1 in the UK, only us old timers.

I started flying over 30 years ago, i have tried Mode 2 but always seemed weired to me, I have more precise control on Mode 1.

Splitting the primary flight controls of Elevator / Aileron always seemed better, you are not sitting in aircraft so no reason to have them on same stick.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Not typical MPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
+1 on the thicker wing - portside. Apparent at the joiners; a good 1/16" taller on the topside. I've tried to get it flat to no success.
Yup. I have exactly the same problem. Poor quality control. I just got mine about two weeks ago.
AJ
BTW- Anyone - Did you have to paint the windows in? Or am I missing the decals somewhere?
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. I have exactly the same problem. Poor quality control. I just got mine about two weeks ago.
AJ
BTW- Anyone - Did you have to paint the windows in? Or am I missing the decals somewhere?
AJ,

There are decals.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 07:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Give me windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

There are decals.

Bill
Obviously, I am going to have to look closer. I only have 2 decal sheets. I will take a picture of what I have if I don't find them.
AJ
UPdate: Duh. They were buried under all the foam packing. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,951 Posts
Mine is perfect ... because I haven't had time to open the box yet!!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old May 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Mine is perfect ... because I haven't had time to open the box yet!!

I have a second, NIB, Funcub which I will scrutinize the wings and work out a solution to left panel being too thick (if it is).

The final adjustment to the saddle area was no big deal. I have done it before on balsa and other foam planes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 18, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,749 Posts
Quote:
Yup. I have exactly the same problem. Poor quality control.
AJ, don't let this really minor aspect turn you off. While it bugs me when on the ground, it cannot be seen when the FunCub is doing what it truly does best. And there is no evidence whatsoever that it affects those incredibly good qualities.

This airplane is wonderful. Any of the perceived problems disappear completely when you're flying it on a calm, cool evening, with the setting sun as your backdrop.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old May 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Fun Cubbing soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
AJ, don't let this really minor aspect turn you off. While it bugs me when on the ground, it cannot be seen when the FunCub is doing what it truly does best. And there is no evidence whatsoever that it affects those incredibly good qualities.

This airplane is wonderful. Any of the perceived problems disappear completely when you're flying it on a calm, cool evening, with the setting sun as your backdrop.
Thank you very much for your support. But, don't worry about me. I have built and flown 100's of planes over the last 40+ years and this is nothing. Perhaps I dramatized it too much. It is all good and I am sure I will love it. Thanks again.
AJ
Old May 18, 2011, 09:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much for your support. But, don't worry about me. I have built and flown 100's of planes over the last 40+ years and this is nothing. Perhaps I dramatized it too much. It is all good and I am sure I will love it. Thanks again.
AJ
AJ,

You will like it.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 01:26 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Make the spar stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I have a second, NIB, Funcub which I will scrutinize the wings and work out a solution to left panel being too thick (if it is).

The final adjustment to the saddle area was no big deal. I have done it before on balsa and other foam planes.
What do you think about doing the same thing that we do with the Sky Surfer by slipping a 6mm CF tube in the 8mm stock CF tube for additional spar strength (of course, the SkyS is 6mm to start with)? Is it even necessary for a WOT inside loop? Your thoughts?
AJ
Old May 19, 2011, 02:49 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
What do you think about doing the same thing that we do with the Sky Surfer by slipping a 6mm CF tube in the 8mm stock CF tube for additional spar strength (of course, the SkyS is 6mm to start with)? Is it even necessary for a WOT inside loop? Your thoughts?
AJ
As I have never read about a spar failure on the Fun Cub, I would save the additional weight of inserting a small tube into a big tube.

The Fun Cub uses a total of 1000mm of 8/6mm CRP tubing weighing approx. 33g. Adding an inner 6/4mm CRP would provide approx. 37% more strength, it would increase the weight of the tubes by approx. 71%.

There is also no point, making the spars very much stronger than the joining element.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 19, 2011, 03:47 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Go Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I don't mind the Multiplex instructions at all. I've had kits From other manufacturers that had no instructions at all, none in my language, and some with just drawings that were barely decipherable.

It just makes sense from a manufacturing viewpoint. Not only does it save the cost of producing and storing a bunch of different manuals, it allows them to ship to any country. Otherwise they would have to maintain separate inventory for each language. Then what happens if you get a large order for the US when you have a warehouse full of kits with German instructions?

Azarr
Don't you think they could save a lot of ink & paper by not sending 4 manuals to every customer ! Lets be green.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57