Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:49 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Not Turnigy, that was senior moment. They are Hextronic. Here is the link:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8303

EDIT: Same as Sammy70 suggested. Great minds think alike.
great
thanks

now if multiplex will just get the kits back in stock i'll be on my way
xraydoc is offline Find More Posts by xraydoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KI4FZV View Post
Hi Guys,

Still waiting on my back ordered Fun Cub.

I have a Axi 2814/12 (1390kv) lying around and a 45 amp Electrifly speed controller would it work ok for this plane.
I also have a Castle Thunderbird 36 speed controller, but would need to get a motor to go with it. Would the A30-16M Hacker work with this controller.
Or should I just get the Multiplex Recommended power pack.

I'm still new to the electric stuff.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Gary
I am running that motor on my son's Fun Cub. It works very well for the "light" set up. It will hover, but that is about it so if you are looking for "unlimited verticle" get something bigger. If you use this motor, use the 45 amp speed control with it not the 36. The 36 will get too hot. Also, with the axi, you will have to build a firewall and mount the engine to it via radial mount. It is a pain to do but you will not have any of the ocillating vibrations that you may have with the stock mounting system.
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
730 Posts
T-Pro 90 sell for 7$ and HTR MG 14 for ~7.5$
Do you guys think they are worth the price, when hitec HS-81 sell for 12$ (found on e-bay)?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
T-Pro 90 sell for 7$ and HTR MG 14 for ~7.5$
Do you guys think they are worth the price, when hitec HS-81 sell for 12$ (found on e-bay)?

Any of those will work just make sure you get a Metal Gear servo.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Fun Cub wheels

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement set of Fun Cub wheels in the US? I haven't seen any for sale.

Thanks,

John
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartley1130 View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement set of Fun Cub wheels in the US? I haven't seen any for sale.

Thanks,

John
BP hobbies: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=E2664900
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Any of those will work just make sure you get a Metal Gear servo.
I have MG90 for the rudder and elevator, I was concerned about load especially on the rudder and tailwheel. Having said that, Multiplex's recommendation is for the equivalent of the HS-81 which is not metal geared. Has anyone found plastic gears fail on the Fun Cub?
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:46 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I have MG90 for the rudder and elevator, I was concerned about load especially on the rudder and tailwheel. Having said that, Multiplex's recommendation is for the equivalent of the HS-81 which is not metal geared. Has anyone found plastic gears fail on the Fun Cub?
I bet a plastic geared servo would last for quite some time. I've had several planes with plastic gears driving steerable wheels (on the nose and on the tail) without issue. That said, for as cheap as the hobbypartz.com metal geared servos are I wouldn't see why anyone wouldn't use a metal...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:36 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Spektrum AR 6200 with DX6i

@Richochet:

Thanks for the link to bphobbies. Just purchased a new set of tires. I use the set that came with the kit on my Super Cub, but my brother now flies that plane.

I spoke with a Spektrum engineer at Horizon Hobby. I am not sure if anyone out there needs help programming their DX6i to work with flaps, without a reverse Y or cutting into the wing, they helped me in about 10 minutes. Flaps and ailerons now work perfectly.

John
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartley1130 View Post
@Richochet:
Thanks for the link to bphobbies. Just purchased a new set of tires. I use the set that came with the kit on my Super Cub, but my brother now flies that plane.
I spoke with a Spektrum engineer at Horizon Hobby. I am not sure if anyone out there needs help programming their DX6i to work with flaps, without a reverse Y or cutting into the wing, they helped me in about 10 minutes. Flaps and ailerons now work perfectly.
John
Good deal John, glad I could help. BP has been around a long time and I have always received excellent service from them.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Red Lodge, Montana
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Greetings,

I am planning on painting my Fun Cub when it arrives. I am very interested in any recommendations.

Primers?
Solvent vs Waterborne?
Masking tapes?
Paint bleeding?
Equipment?
Decals?
Concerns or Pitfalls?

Thanks.
Langlois is offline Find More Posts by Langlois
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
813 Posts
I used blue low tack painters masking tape. The regular yellow stuff pulls off some of the "skin shine" of the foam.

I like Createx paints. Ready for airbrusing right from the bottle-- just shake up and squirt into your color cup. Water based, and flexible/durable. The paint is made to paint textiles (like tee shirts) and hold up to machine washing, so they're very good on flexible planes like these. Available at crafts stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby (the other craft chain-- not our favorite hobby supplier).

Here's a video showing my sunburst scheme:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlois View Post
Greetings,

I am planning on painting my Fun Cub when it arrives. I am very interested in any recommendations.

Primers?
Solvent vs Waterborne?
Masking tapes?
Paint bleeding?
Equipment?
Decals?
Concerns or Pitfalls?

Thanks.
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:29 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
[QUOTE Greetings,

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I used "Krylon Short Cuts" spray paint from Micheal's (recommended on this forum and others) with very good results.
The "Sun Yellow" looks just like the original Cub Yellow, and the paint adheres very well.
I first cleaned the foam with Toluene, which expanded the foam beads a bit, so the end result looked a little like an ear of corn, so next time I might try a different cleaner to remove oils from the surface.

Jack
jako is offline Find More Posts by jako
Last edited by jako; Nov 26, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlois View Post
Greetings,

Primers?
Solvent vs Waterborne?
Masking tapes?
Paint bleeding?
Equipment?
Decals?
Concerns or Pitfalls?

Thanks.
If you want to make a monochromatic color change and still use the excellent decals it is pretty easy.

Use rubbing alcohol to clean the mold release agent:

Masking is done with blue painter's tape

Paint with automotive solvent based rattle can color from Duplicolor -- acrylic enamel.

Future Floor wax (pure acrylic)

Here it is using Chrome Yellow paint.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,248 Posts
You need to get a better pic of your plane Bill, maybe outside. It's impossible to tell the colors in your pic...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70