HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:02 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Servo related questions

Quick question:

I am curious to know what people used to secure the aileron and flap servos? I am thinking of using a glue gun over CA but have no reasoning for this. Also, what about using velcro in case the servos need to come out for some reason?

Second question that has been discussed at length in this forum. Using a Spektrum 6200 receiver and DX6i transmitter, can't you use Aux1 and (Gear-as a slave) to program the mix for the flaps?

Finally, if someone has a picture of where they mounted all the electronics, please share. It really seems that when it comes to mounting the hundreds of dollars spent on electronics, there would be bigger openings into the fuse.

Thanks,

John
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartley1130 View Post
Quick question:

I am curious to know what people used to secure the aileron and flap servos? I am thinking of using a glue gun over CA but have no reasoning for this. Also, what about using velcro in case the servos need to come out for some reason?

Second question that has been discussed at length in this forum. Using a Spektrum 6200 receiver and DX6i transmitter, can't you use Aux1 and (Gear-as a slave) to program the mix for the flaps?

Finally, if someone has a picture of where they mounted all the electronics, please share. It really seems that when it comes to mounting the hundreds of dollars spent on electronics, there would be bigger openings into the fuse.

Thanks,

John
John,

Good questions.

Servo mounting -- I normally just hot glue in foamy aircraft but this time I decided to use two sided servo tape. The CA seems a bit too permanent for me. Servos do fail and need replacement. Guys also use Goop, silicone RTV and others which I am sure someone will post. Velcro still permits too much movement. I wouldn't use it. It's OK for ESCs, receivers, and lipos, but servos, no.

You can mix and slave with the DX6I. I ran flaps and spoilerons using on a T28 using DX6I. However, I was only able to figure out how to use single position flaps.

The trick with electronics is to lay them out BEFORE gluing together. See picture below. White velcro (not visible) is on the sidewall to retain the receiver.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:18 PM
work all night and fly all day
USA, CA, San Fernando Valley
Joined May 2009
237 Posts
I use 3M heavy duty double sided tape not the foam core one. I have been able to pull them out for service no harm no problem. Velcro will not hold firm enough to much slop
DIG2fly is offline Find More Posts by DIG2fly
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:22 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I played with the flaps but didn't have any down elevator programmed in so it ballooned quite a bit. I was thinking of 15% for half flap and 25% for full flap. Thoughts?

Of course it will depend on your flap travel, but I've got about 45* down flaps in position one (DX7), and 80-90* on position 2. In the flap-to-elev. menu screen I have position 1 with down elevator at "50" and postion 2 with down elev. at "75." This was just a guess before hand, but it was darn near perfect when flying the plane....

No comment on the "Michigan (spit!@!) hat"
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Of course it will depend on your flap travel, but I've got about 45* down flaps in position one (DX7), and 80-90* on position 2. In the flap-to-elev. menu screen I have position 1 with down elevator at "50" and postion 2 with down elev. at "75." This was just a guess before hand, but it was darn near perfect when flying the plane....

No comment on the "Michigan (spit!@!) hat"
Sammy,

Thanks. I am running a DX7. I will try those settings. This plane is going to be a hoot.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I could not get the flap/gear mix to work. I wonder if you can even mix the gear channel. I have mixed on other planes but have not used the gear channel. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to get the flaps working so I can get this plane up in the air.

P.S. I really do not want want to cut the foam and use a y harness.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I could not get the flap/gear mix to work. I wonder if you can even mix the gear channel. I have mixed on other planes but have not used the gear channel. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to get the flaps working so I can get this plane up in the air.

P.S. I really do not want want to cut the foam and use a y harness.
Why would you have to cut the foam to use a Y harness?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:20 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
@Prof

If I use a Y harness for the flaps and place the servos in the pre-cut recess, won't they just act as ailerons and travel in opposite directions? A y harness would be nice because there would only be two wires to disconnect when you take the wings off. How are your flaps set up?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
@Prof

If I use a Y harness for the flaps and place the servos in the pre-cut recess, won't they just act as ailerons and travel in opposite directions? A y harness would be nice because there would only be two wires to disconnect when you take the wings off. How are your flaps set up?

Thanks
You have three basic choices to have them work together:

1. Cut in servo slot for one of the servos (that's what I did).
2. Buy a Turnigy servo speed regulator and reverser.
3. Buy a reversing Y harness.

The no cost solution is #1.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:46 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
I'll cut the wing to make it work. Thanks for you help yet once again!!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
I'll cut the wing to make it work. Thanks for you help yet once again!!
Just use a sharp Xacto and cut it out in one piece if you can then use it plug the original servo slot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:08 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You have three basic choices to have them work together:

1. Cut in servo slot for one of the servos (that's what I did).
2. Buy a Turnigy servo speed regulator and reverser.
3. Buy a reversing Y harness.

The no cost solution is #1.

Bill
Maybe a stupid question but, what if you use a normal Y harness, and swap the red and the black wire, right infront of the servo you want to reverse?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:48 AM
Monaco
Joined Dec 2006
121 Posts
Not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Maybe a stupid question but, what if you use a normal Y harness, and swap the red and the black wire, right infront of the servo you want to reverse?
Reversing the red and black will probably destroy the servo instantly ! Servo position signal is from a square wave voltage going from +5 volts to 0 volts on the white lead, the length of the pulse determines the position of the servo

Servo reversing devices change the pulse widths from short to long and vice versa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomechanism
EuroDriver is offline Find More Posts by EuroDriver
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czazzara View Post
Hey Guys,

Had the chance to maiden three FunCubs at our field today. Here's the video I shot of WindJunkie playing with his after tweaking. All in all, the maidens were uneventful and the Cubs fly really well. I was surprised at the amount of rudder needed to kick the tail around but that's the way it is... I have to lose those bank and yank habits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMeohqvZbII

The kit was a smooth and trouble free build. I was impressed with the accuracy of the cutting and the thoughts that went into the assembly. I had to put and ounce and a half of lead in the back of mine to get the cg just right. Others solved the problem differently.

Anyway, now I have to log a few flights and fit some floats to act as skis for the approaching winter. This will be a fun, year-round aircraft.

Chris Z.
WOW! Nice #d with the FunCub, which motor and prop are you using?
guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:52 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
You have to do some rewiring inside the servo case. Someone posted a how to thread earlier in this thread.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet