HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
397 Posts
easiest way to set up funcub using a 6 channel radio system

if you y-split the ailerons and use mechanical differential then you can put the flap servos on independent channels . voila, all six channels used, no electrical or mechanical mods and i'm sure most people have a normal y-splitter laying around. i think (i can on my dx8) you're able to change the wing type with the dx6i to "1 aileron servo, 2 flap servos." voila, you don't even have to do any mixes and the hardest thing to do would be having to reverse 1 flap servo in the tx menu.

this is the easiest but, least elegant method. the best is to use 7 channels so you can do crow, reflex/camber. using 7 channels does not require any soldering or mechanical mods. you just have to have a 7+ channel radio system and know how to use it
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:29 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I consider myself a good lander and never slam it into the grass or asphalt, but all my other planes seem to have no gear issues in normal use but Mr. FC is just too springy in the gear dept.. She's not over weight or over powered either. I'm just stating an observation and not trying to bitch. Every plane has some issue.
Blu
Well that answers that. Mine has a wire about 2/3 dow with two 90s and a wheel collar keeping them together. That seems to get rid of excess flex. Not with the Power 15 but we've done that issue. Lots of pix in here with people who have tried other simple fixes. I'm not great at bending new wire so...
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:46 PM
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2012
238 Posts
Got struts.....?
swcushing is offline Find More Posts by swcushing
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:27 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
I really do like my FC a lot! It's posted here awhile back as the SF 49ers FunCub
It was a very nice build with the painting as usual taking the most time. Off topic for a second, I just finished putting together my new Parkzone VisionAire. This has got to be one of the most nicely designed planes ever, and less then an hour to build (if you can really call it that)! No issues and even all the control surfaces bound nuetral......sweet. Many turned me on to the great FunCub, so I'm passing the VA onto you.
Just fly!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
if you y-split the ailerons and use mechanical differential then you can put the flap servos on independent channels . voila, all six channels used, no electrical or mechanical mods and i'm sure most people have a normal y-splitter laying around. i think (i can on my dx8) you're able to change the wing type with the dx6i to "1 aileron servo, 2 flap servos." voila, you don't even have to do any mixes and the hardest thing to do would be having to reverse 1 flap servo in the tx menu.

this is the easiest but, least elegant method. the best is to use 7 channels so you can do crow, reflex/camber. using 7 channels does not require any soldering or mechanical mods. you just have to have a 7+ channel radio system and know how to use it
I'm sorry but you kind of lost me there.... Are there any build videos or guides out there for the fun cub so I can see the servo problem firsthand? Is there a simple way to do what reversing is needed with the part I already have from hurc?
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:10 AM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
I've lurked in this thread for awhile hoping to educate myself about the FC until I finally was able to get one. Well, that day is fast approaching. Saturday I hit the road for a few hours to meet another RCG member who has decided his Cub needs a new home (me!). I feel like a kid I'm so excited

Thank you to everyone who frequents this thread and provides such great information. I've only flown a Champ up to this point but I don't think I could have chosen a better plane to move up to!

C'mon Saturday!!
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:01 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddie View Post
I've lurked in this thread for awhile hoping to educate myself about the FC until I finally was able to get one. Well, that day is fast approaching. Saturday I hit the road for a few hours to meet another RCG member who has decided his Cub needs a new home (me!). I feel like a kid I'm so excited

Thank you to everyone who frequents this thread and provides such great information. I've only flown a Champ up to this point but I don't think I could have chosen a better plane to move up to!

C'mon Saturday!!
Ha ... you will love it!!! Only thing is it is a BIG step up from a champ so if you can get a buddy session or 2 in first that will really help you. It is much more responsive than a champ and will feel really big in comparison (trust me I know) also going to ailerons and flaps from straight RET will benefit you to spend a bit of time on a SIM first.. Good Luck with it and have heaps of fun!!!
I love it when I hear someone gettng genuinely excited about a new plane brings back all those memories of when I moved to bigger and better things and the excitement of that...
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined May 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddie View Post

C'mon Saturday!!
Loved the Champ. Need a bigger field.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:59 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3415 View Post
I'm sorry but you kind of lost me there.... Are there any build videos or guides out there for the fun cub so I can see the servo problem firsthand? Is there a simple way to do what reversing is needed with the part I already have from hurc?
Have you considered just buying a reverse servo or modifying one yourself?
There are many online sources you could probably Google, or ask at your local hobby shop.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:33 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Quote:
You have bought your self a reversing Y lead for the Flap Servos , problem solved.

Just fit Flap servos in the pre moulded slots and and connect one each to the ends of the Y lead, Y lead input goes on whatever channel you will be using for flaps on the Rx, sorted.

Deyrick
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Feb 2013
17 Posts
How are you mounting the receivers in these? I bought a redcon with satellite from Headsup so now i have 4 antenna to deal with. This is all new technology to me as i have been away from hobby for years. Do the antenna have to exit the fuse?
Skozzy99 is offline Find More Posts by Skozzy99
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I consider myself a good lander and never slam it into the grass or asphalt, but all my other planes seem to have no gear issues in normal use but Mr. FC is just too springy in the gear dept.. She's not over weight or over powered either. I'm just stating an observation and not trying to bitch. Every plane has some issue.
Blu
I considered myself to be OK at landing, and was bending the gear. Then someone in this thread (Gordks?) suggested I do a better job at landing. A different technique eliminated the small problem I had with bending gear.

What I was doing wrong was letting the plane stall just above the runway, causing it to drop hard onto the ground. I was using too much flap. Once I learned to keep my speed up until the wheels touched, I was greasing the landings.

BTW, I had purchased the parts to modify my gear as suggested here before trying a different technique.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Last edited by wjjones; Mar 08, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined May 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
The Kimber mod. Easy and all you need is a Y harness Right side I think.

BTW I damaged a servo by connecting flaps without making sure they went down (forward). The hinge don't go up!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjones View Post
I considered myself to be OK at landing, and was bending the gear. Then someone in this thread (Gord?) suggested I do a better job at landing. A different technique eliminated the small problem I had with bending gear.

What I was doing wrong was letting the plane stall just above the runway, causing it to drop hard onto the ground. I was using too much flap. Once I learned to keep my speed up until the wheels touched, I was greasing the landings.

BTW, I had purchased the parts to modify my gear as suggested here before trying a different technique.
Too much flaps=higher landing speed and stalls
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
You have bought your self a reversing Y lead for the Flap Servos , problem solved.

Just fit Flap servos in the pre moulded slots and and connect one each to the ends of the Y lead, Y lead input goes on whatever channel you will be using for flaps on the Rx, sorted.

Deyrick
Ok sounds good...
The only thing is, will this work with my dx6i from spektum? I saw on their site that it says to avoid servo reversers. Will I have an issue with this?
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415