HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Casa Grande AZ
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Discussion
Install hinges

Everyone has to start somewhere and in my first build of an ARF-a World Models AT-6 Texan EP, I find that I have to glue the hinges in place. I tried searching the forums for suggestions on the best way to do this but have not had any luck. Can someone direct me to a post that covers this, or explain the correct way to make a success out of this. I'm guessing that I would use thin CA but I'm not sure how to go about it. Also, how close together do the flap and the wing get set?

Thanks
saguaro_48 is offline Find More Posts by saguaro_48
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
We need to know what type of hinge?

If the fuzzy plastic CA type hinge, yes, thin CA is the proper adhesive to use. I dry-fit a control surface before gluing it. Common pin(s) are used to keep the hinges centered in their pockets. I draw a line at the center of the hinge with a pencil on both sides where the flex point will be. This allows me to see that the hinge is correctly positioned as I install them and I also use two common pins stuck through this line to keep the hinge from going to far into the mating parts and locate the hinge correctly.

Once the dry fit is done, if I'm satisfied with how things fit and flex, I generally place 3 drops of CA at each hinge with the control surfaces bent away from me. After 30-45 seconds, I flex the control surface several times, pull out the common pins, flip the unit over and repeat the three drops of CA from the opposite side and again after 30-45 seconds, flex the whole thing again to it's maximum deflection and clean up any CA leftovers or residue. Then I set the unit aside for an hour or so. Finally, after an hour or so, I vigorously flex again and then tug on the control surface to see if the hinge is well glued together.

Other types of hinges take different techniques and adhesives.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,181 Posts
Is this your first model? Are the slots cut? what type of hinge? Did you
read the instructions?

I checked the online manual for this models and the instructions are
a bit vague.

The gap should be as small as possible and still have full deflection.

And read everything M1 said and DO IT!
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Oct 2008
93 Posts
How to's

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguaro_48 View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere and in my first build of an ARF-a World Models AT-6 Texan EP, I find that I have to glue the hinges in place. I tried searching the forums for suggestions on the best way to do this but have not had any luck. Can someone direct me to a post that covers this, or explain the correct way to make a success out of this. I'm guessing that I would use thin CA but I'm not sure how to go about it. Also, how close together do the flap and the wing get set?

Thanks
Check out this site,I think it may help http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1180
wattmeter
wattmeter is offline Find More Posts by wattmeter
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:43 AM
Casa Grande AZ
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the replies. Between your help and the referenced article and video I'm sure that I'll be successful.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:39 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Saguaro,

Just got back from the lhs with my World Models Texan. It will be a couple of days before I can get started, but I was wondering if you plan to use the stock motor. I got the version without the motor, and am still trying to decide what motor to use.

Also, you probably saw this, but just wanted to make sure http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058603

After watching his flight, I'm a bit terrified at how close to the ground the plane sits. I saw one assembled at the store, but it didn't come across that the plane has really short gear legs. I think I'm going to have to fashion some kind of wing skid, because I know I'll be scuffing the wing tips.

Anyway, good luck with your build; and, I'll be checking back here for anything else you might post.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:56 PM
Casa Grande AZ
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
sgomes,

I have a Power Up 480 from HeadsUpRC.com that I will be using. I've got visitors for the next two weeks so will not be doing anything with the kit until I get some free time.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Saguaro,

Thx, yeah I like dealing w/Jeff, so I just ordered one as well, along with the 40a esc. Addtl. weight should help with the problematic cog.

Think I will play around w/10x5 and 9x6 apc style props. A little worried about the ground clearance on the props.

I will be working very slowly, but will try to post progress here.

Hope you can make it back from time to time.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes