Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:44 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Discussion
High Quality EDF Videos

Hi all

I have put together a little youtube channel, featuring most of my EDF videos from the last 3 years, I picked out the most interesting models and flights and re-rendered them to take advantage of Youtubes HD capability.

Some of you will know a couple of my videos from the past. In this youtube-channel I will try to collect only high quality material of interesting models. Most of them are either absolute unique scratch built models, or impressive or interesting builds from commercial kits.

This is not supposed to be an advertisement channel for vendors or stuff like that. I am a model-pilot and builder of my own and I just like to take my HD-Camcorder to any event that I visit, be it as a pilot or only spectator.
Usually the only benefit I have from my videos is the appreciation and the compliments of other pilots or spectators.

I will continue to put new videos to the channel as soon as the flying season and the EDF meetings here in Germany, Switzerland and Austria will commence.

Maybe it is also interesting for many of you abroad, to have a look what's going on on the other side of the Atlantik

'nuff said, here's the link to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/steffenl

And for all the click-lazy folks of you, heres the selection of videos that are up and running so far, to take advantage of the HD-resolution you will have to open them directly on the youtube page.
Have fun and enjoy, I hope you enjoy the videos as much as I did taking and posting them

F-35 JSF - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 54 sec)

Wild Hornet - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 23 sec)

Hawker Hunter MK 58 - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 25 sec)

Mirage - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 6 sec)

D.H. Venom - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2009 (5 min 21 sec)

F20 with Schübeler DS-94-DIA HST - JETPOWER 2009 (5 min 46 sec)

L29 Delfin - EDF Jet Meeting Salzburg (8 min 58 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzTJ73M1Ptg

Schreiner F-18 - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2009 (5 min 19 sec)

F-86 by Ralf Dvorak (6 min 27 sec)

AN 225 - Elektrojets over Dübendorf (5 min 29 sec)

MiG 15 - Elektro-Impeller Jet Meeting Salzburg (4 min 44 sec)

BAe 146 - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2009 (3 min 6 sec)

F9 Cougar - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 44 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMwyy0EubHw

D.H. Venom - EDF Meeting in Pfäffikon CH 2007 (4 min 3 sec)

BAE Hawk - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2008 (4 min 36 sec)

L-39 Albatros - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2008 (4 min 54 sec)

Rafale - Elektrojets over Dübendorf 2008 (4 min 33 sec)
-PaX- is online now Find More Posts by -PaX-
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PaX- View Post
Hi all

I have put together a little youtube channel, featuring most of my EDF videos from the last 3 years, I picked out the most interesting models and flights and re-rendered them to take advantage of Youtubes HD capability.

Some of you will know a couple of my videos from the past. In this youtube-channel I will try to collect only high quality material of interesting models. Most of them are either absolute unique scratch built models, or impressive or interesting builds from commercial kits.

This is not supposed to be an advertisement channel for vendors or stuff like that. I am a model-pilot and builder of my own and I just like to take my HD-Camcorder to any event that I visit, be it as a pilot or only spectator.
Usually the only benefit I have from my videos is the appreciation and the compliments of other pilots or spectators.

I will continue to put new videos to the channel as soon as the flying season and the EDF meetings here in Germany, Switzerland and Austria will commence.

Maybe it is also interesting for many of you abroad, to have a look what's going on on the other side of the Atlantik

'nuff said, here's the link to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/steffenl

And for all the click-lazy folks of you, heres the selection of videos that are up and running so far, to take advantage of the HD-resolution you will have to open them directly on the youtube page.
Have fun and enjoy, I hope you enjoy the videos as much as I did taking and posting them

wonderful videos.
May I ask what digital camcoder, camera do you
use on these videos?

And what format did you use to upload video to youtube?
I know full 1080 HD clip is about 1 Gig for 3 minutes video and
that is the maximum on Youtube:-(

Thanks.

foamcrazee is offline Find More Posts by foamcrazee
Last edited by foamcrazee; Mar 11, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:08 AM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcrazee View Post
wonderful videos.
May I ask what digital camcoder, camera do you
use on these videos?

And what format did you use to upload video to youtube?
I know full 1080 HD clip is about 1 Gig for 3 minutes video and
that is the maximum on Youtube:-(

Thanks.

Thanks for your feedback

I am using the Canon HV20, a MiniDV Camcorder, it was one of the first High-Definition Camcorders with 1080p.
I still like the MiniDV tapes over the camcorders that use a HardDisk or memory cards as a medium, because they typically store everything already compressed in some kind of format, with the MiniDV tapes IMHO you get the highest quality of videos, ideal for editing afterwards. But that is just a matter of taste

For all the editing I use Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 and convert the raw material in the end to MPEG-4 using a resolution of 1280x720 and a maximum Video-Bitrate of 5000 kBit/s

The resulting video will have approx. only ~120mb for a ~5minute video, but still has quite a good quality for HD streaming on youtube

Hope I could help a little

Regards
Steffen
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:15 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Very nice video Steffen, and very good recording quality.

I had seen most of them before (I think) but it's nice to see them collected here

Btw the Canon vixia series 1080 HD is hard to beat.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:01 AM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Very nice video Steffen, and very good recording quality.

I had seen most of them before (I think) but it's nice to see them collected here

Btw the Canon vixia series 1080 HD is hard to beat.
Thx Herb
I think I will stick as long as possible to my trusty old HV20, because I just like everything about it, the quality, the size, the weight, it really is nice to handle.

At the moment I cannot think of anything else but Canon to be my next Camcorder, if I ever should be forced to buy one
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,832 Posts
Very nice Steffen. a good variety of stuff there. I too have a mini dvd sony TR camcorder but i just view everything on my tv screen. Managing the downloads and files gets to me so i don't post any video. I liked the Red L-39, Savex? Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,644 Posts
The Schreiner F-18...........wow
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Quote:
... This is not supposed to be an advertisement channel for vendors or stuff like that. I am a model-pilot and builder of my own and I just like to take my HD-Camcorder to any event ...
A disappearing variety ... and not getting submerged by infatigable vendors relentlessly peddling their latest junk is becoming a rarity too

I found your unique tag on youtube : steffenl

Which allows me to stream your videos directly to my tv; I have a BD 390 LG player that uses wireless N to seamlessly connect to the internet & youtube ... it's much more fun to watch the video on a big screen tv when the quality is worth it .
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Sounds awesome herb

I can enjoy my own videos only on a 22" Samsung LCD TFT
A friend of mine has a full-HD beamer, when we hook up the camera to that baby and look at the videos on a big screen...now that is truely awesome, even I am getting freaked out by that and I own that friggin camera for 3 years now

You can literally count every blade of grass on the field
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Impressive videos ... I guess we will see more nice HD videos of EDF's in the next few months/years

I find that often a good camera is not enough ... you need a good camera operator - otherwise the pitiful video is just a pain to watch ... fast edfs are definitely not easy to record.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts

I am still using SD Video and I have
to train the guy to video my flying.
Soon, I will get some HD stuffs.

Enjoy the Motion JPEG clip. (SD Video)
"Flight of the Typhoon"

Flight of the Typhoon (3 min 49 sec)

Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,141 Posts
I've watched most of these trough the years, great stuff!!
thanks for posting it all in one thread

I love the big Venom with the TF-8000 that thing is cool
and of course the F-20 with the DS-94 HST

lots of cool stuff you have there for sure
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys
There will be definitely more videos coming as soon as the first meetings will commence.

Herb: Finding a good camera operator is the reason, why I have almost no videos of any of my own airplanes

Another problem is the editing afterwards, many people put their stuff on youtube or other platforms without paying attention to the interlacing, interlacing is ok for television, but on a video platform it is jast a pain in the ... eye and all the good video quality and filming skills can't make that up.

At the moment I have two "new" "old" videos in the pipeline, they are already up on youtube but are not yet available in HD, converting takes some time.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys
There will be definitely more videos coming as soon as the first meetings will commence.

Herb: Finding a good camera operator is the reason, why I have almost no videos of any of my own airplanes

Another problem is the editing afterwards, many people put their stuff on youtube or other platforms without paying attention to the interlacing, interlacing is ok for television, but on a video platform it is jast a pain in the ... eye and all the good video quality and filming skills can't make that up.

At the moment I have two "new" "old" videos in the pipeline, they are already up on youtube but are not yet available in HD, converting takes some time.

PAX, If you are in US, I would be delighted to video
your Jets performance.

Hello, could you explain more about the interlacing
and how to overcome that issue? How do you do
video in Progressive mode?

Thanks.

Can you give more details on that great F-20?
Who made it? Thanks

Last edited by foamcrazee; Mar 15, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
If I should ever be able to make it to the US I will gladly accept your offer

Regarding the interlacing issue: I couldn't explain it better than in Wikipedia, that is why I have to point you there for some research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace
The two pictures there show exactly what I mean, the first one shows the moving car ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...car_wheel).jpg )

The problem is, our TFT monitors don't work with interlacing anymore, you will get a very disturbed videopicture, when you look at an interlaced video. But most cams record that way, because when you watch it on an ordinary TV, it will look just fine.

When you edit the video, in most video editors you will have the option to use progressive scan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan ) or at least to disable the interlacing in the video. This, of course, depends on your editing software. I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 3 and have all the options there.

It is difficult to explain in English...well it would even be difficult to explain in German

Regarding the F-20: It was made by Jürgen Gollnow of fantastic-jets and is powered by the new Schuebeler HST Fan. This thing is huge! And the performance is amazing, also the sound. I think there will be kits available in future, but I am not sure when Jürgen will be offering them.

Meanwhile, the two old new videos have finished converting and should available in HD any minute:
D.H. Venom - Elektro-Impeller Jet Meeting Salzburg (5 min 33 sec)

F-18 - Jets over Grenchen 2009 (5 min 34 sec)