HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should this be stickied?
Yes 224 86.82%
No 34 13.18%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by nick84, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:54 AM
WV
Joined Jun 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJrevo View Post
I do have it cut out, close to half of the windshield
From what I have been reading a lot of people have this problem ,can't find a bigger head no where ,I would hate to guess so I'll try tuning for about 270 then add home made fin's once I get some good stuff to make it out of,it run's great, just a bit rich ,from what I hear it is a heli engine with a few more fin's on the head...
I see.. leave it to AE to stick a heli engine in a huge truck. Wouldn't hurt to knock out one or both of the side windows closest to the engine - done that before. In any event, good luck!
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:02 PM
Wave Riding Vehicles
Louisburg,North Carolina
Joined Jun 2009
1,643 Posts
ok im a boat guy but i have showed my traxxas slash before and now i decided to paint a new body for it kinda crazy looking but i like it,, Proline Desert Rat body, i painted it and cut out my own Foxracing templates so yes they are painted inthere and not decals but ofcorse all the other stuff is decals,,
HYDROJERRY is offline Find More Posts by HYDROJERRY
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:10 PM
theres notn duct tape cant fix
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jul 2009
833 Posts
Sick!! u should send me a few of those stencils
TRAXXAS DEMO is offline Find More Posts by TRAXXAS DEMO
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:38 AM
Wave Riding Vehicles
Louisburg,North Carolina
Joined Jun 2009
1,643 Posts
thanks Traxxas,, i had to search the fox logo's print them out, cut them out then lay them on a sheet of mask and trace them and cut them out, reversed ofcorse so they wouldnt be backwards then i could stick them to the inside of the body and outline them with black airbrushing, paint my body, remove the masks then paint inthe logo's. Long prosses but i think it looks cool and for only the second time ive ever airbushed i think its cool,,
HYDROJERRY is offline Find More Posts by HYDROJERRY
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,731 Posts
Anywhere, any type of weather

An original, 1984 Kyosho (same as the Graupner) Snowcat. Now runs a Tamaya, DMD1 motor controller.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Here are mine, but I no longer use them as I prefer heli's considerabley more.

I also have an Hpi Vorza, but due to major lack of space have it in storage at my Fiancees. Will post image at later date.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
Name: 2011-08-10_15.49.13.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 78.7 KB
Description:

Name: 2011-08-10_15.48.34.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 74.1 KB
Description:

Name: 2011-08-10_15.48.58.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 76.9 KB
Description:

Name: 2011-08-10_15.48.45.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 55.1 KB
Description:
floatn turd is offline Find More Posts by floatn turd
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
WV
Joined Jun 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
...Terrible handling, and regret buying this. Uses stock VXL geared high. Overrated like most Traxxas junk...
Most, (not all), Traxxas vehicles can handle along side their more race-bred competition, simply with a proper suspension setup, a few complementing hop-ups and a competent driver. (and are typically less prone to broken parts while doing so) Out of the box they're just about always setup as n00b bashers though & drive as such. Overrated and junk are unfairly harsh descriptives which put down quite a few poster's rides here.

Above is the most recent shot of my Mini Inferno 09, as she's a touch further transformed into my vision of how they should have been designed.. now sporting Mini 8ight rims/tires. (attached to the wider ST arms) I always thought buggies both looked and handled more nimbly with slightly narrower front wheels - thanks Losi! A few more parts & she'll be complete. (hopefully including a more functional front bumper I'll be modifying)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytacohead View Post
Most, (not all), Traxxas vehicles can handle along side their more race-bred competition, simply with a proper suspension setup, a few complementing hop-ups and a competent driver. (and are typically less prone to broken parts while doing so) Out of the box they're just about always setup as n00b bashers though & drive as such. Overrated and junk are unfairly harsh descriptives which put down quite a few poster's rides here.

Above is the most recent shot of my Mini Inferno 09, as she's a touch further transformed into my vision of how they should have been designed.. now sporting Mini 8ight rims/tires. (attached to the wider ST arms) I always thought buggies both looked and handled more nimbly with slightly narrower front wheels - thanks Losi! A few more parts & she'll be complete. (hopefully including a more functional front bumper I'll be modifying)
I was a bit hasty I guess.

I've only ever owned 2 Traxxas models (Slash and Rustler). I've done the wide mod, altered suspension oils/springs, toe in/out, and various other things and could never ever get them to handle ANYWHERE near as good as my Hpi Vorza or E Firestorm. In the end I just reverted back to stock set up.

Don't get me started on the out of the box weaknesses;
There are plenty of parts on these, particularly the Rustler, that are made of cheese. Without RPM or T bone parts they aren't as bulletproof as the Traxxas fanboys make them out.

So, in conclusion, to make a Traxxas roadworthy, you have to pay the already overpriced rrp for it, and then you have to spend a good 100-120 on hop-ups like RPM bumpers, Aluminium caster blocks, RPM arms, etc, etc...

By the time all this is done you could easily just buy something good in stock form like a Vorza, or even a Firestorm and decent Castle ESC combo with plenty of cash to spare.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:51 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
An original, 1984 Kyosho (same as the Graupner) Snowcat. Now runs a Tamaya, DMD1 motor controller.
Oh very nice! I want one of those up here in the Yukon!
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:05 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,731 Posts
Heavy Chevy

From what I have seen on Ice Road Truckers, it's about the only R/C toy worth owning for part of the year. I used to live at Tahoe, but moved a year before it came out. A good friend, owned the local hobby shop, and we used to discuss custom building of Snowcats, but never got to it. I was just looking at some info on the NEW, RTR, Kyosho Blizzard SR, Part # 30986B. Comes with a plow, and on a 2.4 radio. Thanks for the nice words, stay warm and safe!! CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:33 PM
WV
Joined Jun 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
...I've only ever owned 2 Traxxas models (Slash and Rustler) ...and could never ever get them to handle ANYWHERE near as good as my Hpi Vorza or E Firestorm. In the end I just reverted back to stock set up...
Uhm, Slash's are cool but no, they're not at all on par with a $500+ 8th scale racing buggy. The only thing that really is, is another 8th scale racing buggy. (though Mini Inferno's can give them a good fight, till ya hit a straight anywho, haha) As far as Firestorms go, they're good stuffs but eh, just another RWD stadium truck. Not sure why ya couldn't match it, or why you had durability issues. Maybe as you said, heli's are just more your thing. (I'm a flight junky as well)

My Mini-Z recently acquired some 3Racing rims & tires with a taller sidewall, (not sure what I think of the treads). Wish I'd thought to order matching wheel nuts.. I think next it'll get independent front & rear suspension, just because it's neat on something so tiny! Oh, and some fake brake discs too, lol. (among other things, like maybe a dummy side exit exhaust, to more closely mimic the real car)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:59 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,396 Posts
i also found traxxas to be a bit dissapointing, slash's can't handle well with the stock chassis because it bottoms out with the suspension set up to handle.

that mini z is sick! i thought it was a full blown 1/10th rally until you said it was a mini z.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
WV
Joined Jun 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
...that mini z is sick! i thought it was a full blown 1/10th rally until you said it was a mini z.
Thanks & yeah, it's amazing how much detail they can get into tiny bodies! (not to mention aluminum rims, such as the pictured 3R's) Some of them actually look better than larger scale versions. Like I'd build a 10th scale RX-7 of sorts, (to mimic my avatar), but nobody makes a stock body I feel worthy.
Last edited by Tinytacohead; Dec 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Finally got my first truck finished a few days ago, but I would feel like it's false advertising if I took pictures of it all clean and new, so I've been bashing it about.

It's a very very old Rustler XL1, all new bearing carriers and bearings, new transmission, brushless 120a esc from HobbyKing, tacon motor, new shocks, steering servo, turnbuckles, proline tires, rpm wheels, and a few others. The body definitely doesn't fit perfect, but I got it to bring my order up to free shipping from hobbypartz when I ordered my FS-GT3B.

PowerSet is offline Find More Posts by PowerSet