HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Discussion
Which Speed Controllers For This Motor?

Hi, I'm new to making rc planes and I'm not sure which speed controllers go with this fan motor,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6632

If it says that the power is 252W or 16 amps then is that the max power it can handle safely and do I need speed controllers that are in the 15 to 18 amp range for safe efficiency?

Like would this be a good one?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ies_15-18A_ESC

Or maybe these are better?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...BEC_for_Lipoly

I have this speed controller already but it's 25 amps so I'm worried about frying something.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2167

Also is this battery good for the motor,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9267

If I understand it correctly you're suppose to multiply the constant discharge which is "30C" by 2.65 for that battery and then that gives me about 80 amps constant, If I get a speed controller at 15 to 18 amps then will it safely handle the constant 80 amps or does it not matter if it's higher?

Thanks!
Mecky is offline Find More Posts by Mecky
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
Whoa! with apologies, there are some misunderstandings here which need to be rectified.

The 252W at 16A is impossible... that would need 15.75V which even 4s is unlikely to provide... on 4s it seems that this unit might draw 25A (perhaps 375W), but on 3s no more than 18A, at most.

This from the HK site reviews.

Zippy 3s 2200, 15A, 150 watt, 330 grams thrust
Turigy3s 2650, 18A, 220 watt, 480 g,th
zippy 4s 2650, 25A, 375 watt, 680 g,th

If you intend to run 3s, then you'd want a 20A-25A ESC to give yourself a safety margin. The ESC allows through it only what the motor demands... so you could have a 200A ESC on a motor drawing 16A, and that 16A is what would be drawn.

Now to the max. amps from the pack... yes, the rated max. amps for a 30C 2650mAh pack is 80A... but again if your motor only draws 16A, then that 16A is what the pack will deliver, and that 16A is what the ESC will see.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 11, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Whoa! with apologies, there are some misunderstandings here which need to be rectified.

The 252W at 16A is impossible... that would need 15.75V which even 4s is unlikely to provide... on 4s it seems that this unit might draw 25A (perhaps 375W), but no more than 18A, at most, on 3s.

If you intend to run 3s, then you'd want a 20A-25A ESC to give yourself a safety margin. The ESC allows through it only what the motor demands... so you could have a 200A ESC on a motor drawing 16A, and that 16A is what would be drawn.

Now to the max. amps from the pack... yes, the rated max. amps for a 30C 2650mAh pack is 80A... but again if your motor only draws 16A, then that 16A is what the pack will deliver, and that 16A is what the ESC will see.
I see, so should I stick with this one since I have it already?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2167

I couldn't find an ESC that's in the 20A to 25A range, only 25A to 35A or up to 18A. There is one that's 20A but it's for brushed motors and the motor I mentioned is brushless I believe.

The thing that confuses me is when people say they're pulling 30 amps with this motor.

Also I have a spare battery that is 3s 1000mAh at 20C so it probably won't be as efficient but it will still work, right?

My goal is to use one battery for two motors.

Thanks for your response.
Last edited by Mecky; Mar 11, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
If you are going to use one battery it will need to be capable of delivering twice the current drawn by a single motor... let's say that is 18A on 3s... then you need a pack which can cope with 36A, at least! If the plane can carry the weight (247g!) that 30C 2650 would work well... you won't get as much flight time, but if you can get away with less weight by using something lighter I'd do it (is there a 30C 1500/1800?).

That Sentry 25A will be fine for a single motor, though of course you'll need two ESCs for two motors.

I did see that one guy reckoned he was drawing 30A+ (on 4s I assume), but that doesn't gel with what others have reported.
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 11, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
If you are going to use one battery it will need to be capable of delivering twice the current drawn by a single motor... let's say that is 18A on 3s... then you need a pack which can cope with 36A, at least! If the plane can carry the weight (247g!) that 30C 2650 would work well... you won't get as much flight time, but if you can get away with less weight by using something lighter I'd do it (is there a 30C 1500/1800?).

That Sentry 25A will be fine for a single motor, though of course you'll need two ESCs for two motors.

I did see that one guy reckoned he was drawing 30A+ (on 4s I assume), but that doesn't gel with what others have reported.
They do appear to have a 1800mAh 3S 30C so I guess I'll grab it along with another ESC.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

and I'm assuming that I'll need to create and solder two power leads from the battery to the two ESCs using these,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10254
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10253

Thanks for your help Dr Kiwi.
Last edited by Mecky; Mar 11, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
If you use Deans Ultra on your pack, this (from Tower Hobbies ... Deans Parallel adapter) will allow you to connect two ESCs to it. On the Y-connector to the Rx you'll need to disconnect the red (power) wire between one of the ESCs and the Rx to prevent conflict.
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 11, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
If you use Deans Ultra on your pack, this (from Tower Hobbies ... Deans Parallel adapter) will allow you to connect two ESCs to it. On the Y-connector to the Rx you'll need to disconnect the red (power) wire between one of the ESCs and the Rx to prevent conflict.
I think I'm a little confused but I made a diagram with paint where I connected some parts,

have a look,

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3841/tempfh.png

It would be great if you could copy and paste it into paint and then draw lines to connect it properly or fix any stuff I messed up.

I'm stuck at how to connect the Y-connector to a battery.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
I don't like the look of those yellow connectors (though the principle is the same). If you fitted a Deans Ultra male to each ESC, and a Deans Ultra female to your battery pack... that Deans Parallel unit will connect those things just fine.

You are fine with the ESC to RX connections using the Y-lead... but you'd need to sever the red wire from one of the ESCs to the RX (pull it out of the connector and tape it safely away, or use an extra 3" servo lead and sever the red wire in that). If you wanted to, instead, you could always sever one of the red wires on the Y-lead prior to the split.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
I don't like the look of those yellow connectors (though the principle is the same). If you fitted a Deans Ultra male to each ESC, and a Deans Ultra female to your battery pack... that Deans Parallel unit will connect those things just fine.

You are fine with the ESC to RX connections using the Y-lead... but you'd need to sever the red wire from one of the ESCs to the RX (pull it out of the connector and tape it safely away, or use an extra 3" servo lead and sever the red wire in that). If you wanted to, instead, you could always sever one of the red wires on the Y-lead prior to the split.
I see, I probably would have shorted something so thanks a bunch.

I might post a video of my project when I'm done, I plan on making something similar to that cool "Dragon C-21 Gunship" from James Cameron's movie Avatar, and I already have some plans drawn out, hopefully it will fly half as good as this thing lol.

VTOL RC model Ultraman Matjyro ラジコン マットジャイロ (2 min 14 sec)

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:

The 252W at 16A is impossible... that would need 15.75V which even 4s is unlikely to provide... on 4s it seems that this unit might draw 25A (perhaps 375W), but on 3s no more than 18A, at most.

Hi, I'm almost done finishing my project. I made an F-22 instead of going with my first idea of making something like that "Dragon C-21 Gunship", but now I have a battery issue. I ordered the Turigy3s 2650 and when it arrived it turned out to be too heavy, 332g!, and when I charged it up and went on to bind the receiver to the transmitter after carefully following every step then something shorted and the battery doesn't work or at least the discharge plugs don't work, but the charge plug shows on the charger that the battery is charged. So I've decided to get a smaller battery. I was looking at this one

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 30C

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mAh_3S1P_30C_

It's 100g less heavier. The question I have is what is the main difference between using a 3s 2200mAh at 30C and a 2s 2200mAh at 30C for my "two 25 Amp ESCs to one battery" setup?

Shouldn't both batteries provide 66 Amps and isn't that more than enough for my motors that use 25 Amps ESCs? I understand that the it all depends on how much power the motor uses but what exactly does an ESC do? Does and ESC also restrict the amps to the motor only up to 25 amps or does it merely serve as a control of 25 amps max because that 's how much power the motor will use at max on a 3s 30c battery? But then how much amps will it draw on a 2s 30c battery and will a 25 amp speed controller still be necessary?

It's all so confusing.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
The amp draw for this EDF64 fan with the ADH300 motor is going to be determined solely by the input voltage (the ESC is just a dumb device which will allow through whatever amp draw the motor pulls). Obviously your pack can deliver 66A which is way more than you need.....and even given the very variable figures quoted in the reviews.. it seems unlikely that you'll draw more than 18A on 3s, so your 25A ESCs will be fine.

It seems that to get enough thrust to fly anything with that EDF you need 3s... 2s just won't cut it (maybe <10A).....but 4s seems likely to cook the motor.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
The amp draw for this EDF64 fan with the ADH300 motor is going to be determined solely by the input voltage (the ESC is just a dumb device which will allow through whatever amp draw the motor pulls). Obviously your pack can deliver 66A which is way more than you need.....and even given the very variable figures quoted in the reviews.. it seems unlikely that you'll draw more than 18A on 3s, so your 25A ESCs will be fine.

It seems that to get enough thrust to fly anything with that EDF you need 3s... 2s just won't cut it (maybe <10A).....but 4s seems likely to cook the motor.
I see. I went and bought another battery from an RC store today and it's made by Hyperion, it's a 3s 2100mAh 25C. If all goes well tomorrow when I fly my F-22 then I'll post a video or some screenshots. Thanks for your help Dr Kiwi.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:08 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
even given the very variable figures quoted in the reviews.. it seems unlikely that you'll draw more than 18A on 3s, so your 25A ESCs will be fine.
What is more 'unlikely' is that Hobbyking verifies the accuracy of their product specs. In this case it seems that the first shipment had a much lower Kv motor, thus the reports of lower than expected current draw. The manufacturer has now corrected that error, but HK are still quoting the earlier test results!

EDF64-ADH300L 4300Kv Test Data
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
Joined May 2003
27,200 Posts
Oh, wow! 30A with a decent 3s pack and an EDF 64... Mecky had better go out and get new packs and new ESC's!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Wait, so I'll be in serious trouble with my two 25 amp ESCs and my 3s 2100mAh 25C!?

When I test the plane in my hands it wants to take off so as far as flying is concerned, that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, here are some pics,

not bad for a scratch build plane from a foam board heh?

Also the credit for most of the plane design is due to Mickey at www.mikeysrc.com.