HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:47 AM
Radiodle-hoooooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,766 Posts
Discussion
Graupner Props

I am reading and seeing on prop calculators that Graupner props will deliver more thrust and sometimes speed. Has anyone proven this ?
They cost 2x APC E but if they are as good as I hear, I'll give 'em $2.50 more.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
Which range?
The only ones I have used have been glass filled plastic, grotesquely heavy and not worth considering for electric power. Plenty of props to be had that are better - certainly lighter.
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
Radiodle-hoooooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,766 Posts
So far I'm finding APC E and GWS HD 8 & 9 inch props pretty good for 600 to 900g airplanes. Just wondering if there were anything better.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:36 AM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined May 2009
44 Posts
I love the Master Airscrew Electric series. Very light, very well balanced and black. (I really don't like this APC grey.)
Miles away is offline Find More Posts by Miles away
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
Radiodle-hoooooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,766 Posts
I only found a few Graupners and they did look like gas style props. At least sometimes you may need ballast on the nose, so maybe better to have a heavier prop with an improved airfoil over dead weights.
I got improved climb and a very small lag in level acceleration to what appears the same speed with APC SF 8x6 over APC E 8x6. About 1.5 more amps at full throttle. I think I got around + 60g thrust with the SF 8x6.
The calculators are showing much more thrust with the Graupner CAM 8x6.

I saw a new brand of prop, Radio Active, from the UK. They look similar to Graupner, Anyone know about them ? They look very well made. At ~$2, it's really gonna kill me to try one ! The prop hole is my worry. I have 5mm shafts for my small stuff like 8x6 . They do not list the prop hole size on the package.

APC E ain't exactly light, but the SF 8x6 is. My Herr Cherokee with an Hyperion ZS2209-24, CC35 ESC, and SF 8x6 is DEADLY silent, after it gets 50 feet away, I can't hear it, even full throttle is shockingly silent. That means no flying by sound. I have to watch the plane closely and pay more attention to the whatever body part is clutching the throttle stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Which range?
The only ones I have used have been glass filled plastic, grotesquely heavy and not worth considering for electric power. Plenty of props to be had that are better - certainly lighter.
Last edited by Chophop; Mar 15, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,465 Posts
I just bought a few of these, not had a chance to test them yet but they are very well made and balanced straight out of the pack. I can't remember their weight off hand but they are heavier than GWS props. There're other sizes as well of course, and the adaptors are nice. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/5x5e-sport...-p-403323.html
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:02 AM
Radiodle-hoooooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,766 Posts
Those look like the EMP brand over here.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-5-x-5E/Detail
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Apr 2006
25 Posts
Graupner folders

i have a SkyRunner (sort of warmliner) model, with a smaller size KMS motor. Initially I flew it with a prop that came with the Skyrunner - and the performance was not so good, very slow climb. Tried an APC non folder for fun - it had better performance but still rather poor climb and since it didnt fold it had poorer glide. Then as a last measure before retiring the Skyrunner I put a pair of Graupner blades on the hub for the folder and WOW. THe plane would stand on its tail and climb nearly vertically - using the same motor and battery. Much better - not fast - but much higher thrust. I have now been flying this combo for over 2 years and love it every bit as much as the first flight with this prop. The Skyrunner wont be retired for some time to come. Go Graupner! The Graupner props seem to be much better balanced and seem to be molded with improved accuracy. I have tried several other non folding Graupners on other small models and have always been impressed with their performance directly compared to APC props of the same specs on the same models.
shamrock12 is offline Find More Posts by shamrock12