SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2010, 02:18 AM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Build Log
Fantasy Scale Build Log

Hello all! I guess I've been lurking around these forums long enough. So I figured what better way to start posting but by a build log.

The plane I'm building was actually design by Mirco Pecorari. It's called the California. He used to have a website with some beautiful renderings and drawings of all sorts of fantasy/concept aircraft, all inspired by actual aircraft. Unfortunately the site does not exist anymore, but I was lucky enough to have saved some of his designs. I finally picked one and decided to build it!

About 2 months ago I started to draw up the plans. The finished plane will have a wingspan of 42inches and weigh between 23-27oz (assuming my predictions are correct). Since I've already started building for a month now here's a catch-up batch of pictures . More pictures will be following.

Enjoy!
omega20 is offline Find More Posts by omega20
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:18 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,337 Posts
Nice to see a Mirco Pecorari plane!

Did you know that Donuts Models (France or Belgium, I forget) has his approval for their indoor foamy California and Gee Bee R3? There's also a bigger R3.

Scott J did a Picorari "Pfeil II" for a contest, about 3 years ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647950
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:19 AM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Hi perttime,

I knew about Scott J's Pfeil II but i had no idea about donuts models foamies. they look sweet. Now that i've seen it in yellow i think i may change the paint scheme
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:20 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,905 Posts
That's one gorgeous looking plane!
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
37 Posts
"That's one gorgeous looking plane! "

I agree and can't wait to see more pics...
jon6foot4 is offline Find More Posts by jon6foot4
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Thats a very unusual shape of wing there, will be interesting to see how it flys.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:34 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,337 Posts
I see the wing shape as a Spitfire wing that has been squeezed in a bit in the middle

A little washout, or maybe spoileron trim for low speeds, might not hurt, just to be safe.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Hey perttime,

Your right about the wing, it's more or less an elliptical planform. I don't believe there should be any issues with flying it, I'm gonna have to calculate the CG through an integration function that takes into account how the chord changes along the span.

I didn't bother with any washout, for ease of building, but i'm going to setup up the ailerons in a "frise" configuration. In other words, full travel up, 1/2-1/4 full down should reduce chances of tip stalling.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Update!

Hi all some more pics catch up . I've set up the wing attachment, landing gear is about finished, and the fuselage is now completely sheeted. Due to fact that the rear turtle deck has a double curvature, I planked it and I must say i'm quite satisfied with the results! Next step will be sanding...
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:37 PM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Sanding Done!

Hi All,

More updates. After finishing the cockpit hatch I began sanding the fuse and wings. 2 days of sanding and filling and this is where I'm at now . Next on the agenda is finishing the tail feathers and start covering. The next big step is the cowling and wheel pants. Probably going to end up vacu forming them... just wish there were quicker/cheaper ways of making the molds.

Has anyone out there attempted to vac-form over a pink foam plug? I'm not sure if it will melt. Maybe cover the foam to with something (like plaster of paris) to protect it? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
37 Posts
It sure is purty. What are you doing for a power plant?
jon6foot4 is offline Find More Posts by jon6foot4
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
FUBAR...
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6foot4 View Post
It sure is purty. What are you doing for a power plant?
I'm going with a Turnigy 2409-18T, at the predicted weight of 23-27 oz should give me descent amount of power... I hope. I should end up with a power loading of about 100-125 W/lb.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:44 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega20 View Post
Has anyone out there attempted to vac-form over a pink foam plug?
Not me, but looks like some have been successful.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299090

You might need to be careful with temperatures and what material exactly you use.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:26 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Maiden flight

Fab,

If you maiden this plane without me I'll kill you! I wanna see her first flight.

Murat
bmozdemir is offline Find More Posts by bmozdemir
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,905 Posts
With all those sweeping curves, this is a work of art! Awesome!
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie