SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:26 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,565 Posts
Thanks Don.

I fixed the nose gear an went back out. This time I used a 1500 3s in the back of the battery bay. This put the CG near the rear of the recommended range. It was a big improvement. Although it still seemed a little nose heavy it was easier to fly and much easier to land; I could actually flair the jet now.

When fixing the nose gear I replace the strut that comes down from the cockpit with a longer wire. This gives the jet a little nose up attitude and I think it also makes take off a little easier.

The ailerons are very effective... even when flaring I had lots of roll control. 80% expo on ailerons and not that much throw and it still rolls very very fast.

I think I will have to dig out some foam at the back of the battery bay in order to move my battery back if I want to use a 3s 2200.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2009
423 Posts
good flying
Cici528 is offline Find More Posts by Cici528
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:52 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,565 Posts
I converted my Dynam f-16 to a pusher. I glued in a plastic stick type motor mount in the space between the cone and the rudder. I mounted a blue wonder 2730-1500 motor, a 7x6 prop and I used a 1000mAh 3s batter to balance. The inherently nose heavy design of this plane makes this modifications easy.

I like this set up better. The much lighter plane is easier to fly and especially much easier to land. Performance is similar to the original EDF; maybe a tad lower. Flight time is greatly improve even though I'm using a much smaller battery. I was even having fun flying this evening in windy bumpy conditions.

The only changes I'm planning are 1) to adjust the thrust angle to compensate for the high thrust line and 2) to swap in a "hotter wind" Blue Wonder motor for a little more speed.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:54 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
627 Posts
im thinking of up grading to 70 mm fan 4s ihave an extra one that came of my 70mm f18 any suggestions
c payne is online now Find More Posts by c payne
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined Oct 2010
627 Posts
just built my dynam f16 had 64 mm fan and motr set up for 4s sitting on a shelf . so i droped it in . i can hold it nose up give it fll power when i let go of the plane
it hovers unreal . this is my 4th edf .none of my other planes had this much thrust . cant wait to fly it
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
627 Posts
just put the cs450 cyclone turbojet fan and motor in my dynam f 16 it is now the best flying edf in my hanger. takes off in the grass in 20 feet and goes straight up . im using the 4 blade fan and get 1100 grms of thrust with a 4s bat .
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
627 Posts
more fun with my f 16 .i have an xtra 70mm esc fan and motor from a crashed meteor . so i put in f 16 2200 mah 5s .
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:48 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
anybody still fly 1 of these? i just got 2 kits and have a couple of questions for the willing. i plan 1 as an edf and 1 as a pusher, leadfeather are u out there?

thanks, chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
I still have mine (and would have flown it the last time I went out if not for the gusty winds). It has been a while sinc I put it together, though, so may not be much help.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,121 Posts
I may get one and go w/a Cyclone 4500 w/64 HET fan. It's a great combo, I have used it in other EDF's. Will a 2200 4S fit??
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
I still have mine (and would have flown it the last time I went out if not for the gusty winds). It has been a while sinc I put it together, though, so may not be much help.
thanks for the reply. well the instructions w/ the kit are for the arf/rtf , not unusual but in this case i need a little help w/ the taileron pivots. the pics show them assembled and sticking out of the fuse and i cant tell whats going on inside. i have the shafts and what i am guessing goes w/ them , some small plastic washers that i am guessing glue to the inboard end of the shafts inside the duct that act as stops to keep the shaft in?? odd though i have 4 of the washers , dont know where the other 2 go? maybe u can look inside ? really dont want for the elevators to eject

thanks again, chuck.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
My Elevons...

Are attached like this...

This shot is of the underside.

On the fuselage there is a clear airfoil shaped piece glued in place (go light on the glue).

A CF rod is slipped through the fuse, upon which is a plywood washer.

On the elevon is glued that black thing with the armature. The CF rod is glued in place to that plastic piece.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
thanks for the info. i am confused about the clear airfoil shaped piece ? is it in the pic? on the edge of the fuse between the elevator and the fuse as a stiffener? i dont have anything like that , that i know of ?

and just to be sure , the plywood washer is all the way on the inboard end of the shaft, inside the duct, correct?

thanks for the time spent!,

chuck.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
Okay, ignore pretty much everything I posted before, except the photo. I went by memory and my memory is failing badly. I got this plane confused with my prop-driven Su-27.

From the "inside" working outward: It looks like there is a capped dowel inserted through a plastic washer in the fuselage through another plastic washer glued to the outside of the fuselage and into a slotted plastic piece on the elevon (where both the slotted plastic piece and the dowel are glued). The slotted plastic piece has the control arm pointing down.

When you get it all put together it is a fun plane to fly. Mine does not burn up the sky but it does get up and go and I can hand launch it with my mucked up shoulders. I have had one bad "landing" that crushed the intake and broke the fuselage in half at the cockpit - The plane flew for another five minutes without my even knowing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
thanks, that clears it up. i am close . i have an aeo 8blade fan in it at ~ 600 watts on a 4cell 2200 . no gear. hope it's not to heavy.

chuck.