SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
Discussion
Dynam F-16

Just saw this ad and was wondering if anyone has any info on this bird? It looks like a neat little Park Flyer type.
Gary

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8932-f16-rtf.html
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
I guess no one has this plane yet...
Gary
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:13 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Hi Gary, yeah I have one - the gray one that's on the box - there is also white one which is in the link you posted.
I'm in OZ so mine came with a 36MHz RaconX6 6 channel TX as it needs V-tail/Delta-wing mixing. I found the TX a bit twitchy so I use my DX6, if you can get it without the TX probably would be better especially if you've got a computerised TX already.

There are no ailerons and the rudder is fixed so just a vertical stabilizer just 3 servos one for each elevator and one for the steerable nose wheel. I have a three EDF jets -Sabre F86A, F18 and this Dynam F16. The F16 electrics are over the top with a 60A ESC and a separate UBEC and a 11.1v 2200mAh 15C Li-Po, you could hook up a 4 cell to give a bit more thrust but it fly’s pretty good on just the 3 cell. Also from what I can find out from the manufacturer is the motor is only rated to 3 cells so a 4 cell might cook the motor, in any case the battery limits you to 33A draw. It is pretty agile as the elevators are big - one thing I can point out is make sure the push rods don't bind with the actual elevator just make sure the quick push rod adjustors (quick controllers) on the horns need to be installed on the opposite side to what is shown in the manual.
ultra-rcflight is offline Find More Posts by ultra-rcflight
Last edited by ultra-rcflight; Mar 12, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
ultra-rcflight,
I have a HABU and a JPower A-10 at present. This Dynam plane looks like a cleaned up F-16 I had from another vendor that had only tailerons. I may just have to pull the trigger on this one ...
Thank you for the reply.
Gary
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:52 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
I just bought this jet, what kind of flight times are you getting with the stock battery?
Don Shimoda is offline Find More Posts by Don Shimoda
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:36 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
I maidened mine today, without the gear, and it's a great flyer. Not a rocket, but plenty of oomph. It looks great down low, fast or slow.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:00 AM
Joined Sep 2006
162 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just picked one up from GraysonHobby and theirs does not include another useless radio

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...cts_sort_order
Crash_Clark is offline Find More Posts by Crash_Clark
Old May 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
Clark,

That's a great price, and no need to toss out the radio. It's a fun plane to fly, but mine pulls to the left drastically on hand launch. I removed the landing gear and forward servo, and I belly land it in the grass. It takes a good hard toss and full right taileron to stop it from torque rolling left. Good luck with your maiden.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:50 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_Clark View Post
Hey Guys,

I just picked one up from GraysonHobby and theirs does not include another useless radio

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...cts_sort_order
I just ordered the red white and blue F-16 from Grayson. Seems like a great price for an Rx ready, steerable nose wheel, edf F-16.

How good is the fan/motor on this plane?
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:44 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
Leadfeather,

The stock motor, fan, and esc are all good. I've got about 20 flights on mine, with no equipment issues. It's not a speed demon, and I may try the stock system on 4's eventually, but it's fast enough for me right now.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Shimoda View Post
Leadfeather,

The stock motor, fan, and esc are all good. I've got about 20 flights on mine, with no equipment issues. It's not a speed demon, and I may try the stock system on 4's eventually, but it's fast enough for me right now.
Shinmoda,

Are the stock esc and fan/motor 4s capable?

My F-16 is almost built.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
Leadfeather,

I tried it on 4s but the esc kept cutting out after 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure if I overamped the esc, or whether the motor got too hot, or what. So I'm running it on 3s.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Shimoda View Post
Leadfeather,

I tried it on 4s but the esc kept cutting out after 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure if I overamped the esc, or whether the motor got too hot, or what. So I'm running it on 3s.
Thanks Don, I'll stick to 3s for now.

Mine is ready for it's maiden flight.

Here is a tip I think will make the build easier for most:

Put the tail feather and wing decals on before assembling these parts. This made it pretty easy to do a good job getting them line up nicely.

I also cut in aileron. I did this before glueing the wings to the fuselage and before applying the decals.

The ailerons are driven by the same servos that drive the tailerons.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Flight report, maiden

I had an unexpected break in the weather this AM so I anxiously headed out to the flying field with the F-16. I taxied around a little and trimmed the steering so it would track straight ahead at speed.

The wind was coming in at an angle to the parking lot I was using for my runway so I decided to make full use of the extra length taking off on the diagonal would provide. Good thing I did. Full power and when I had lots of speed I started easing back on the stick...but the F-16 wasn't rotating. With the curb at the far end of the parking lot quickly approaching, aborting would have resulted in a crash. I then went to full stick back, and finally just as I was running out of space it rotated then it "lept" into the air. I was fighting the controls a little, it was very nose heavy. Little by little I kept clicking in up elevator. Finally when I had used up all of my up trim (about 40% of total up travel) it was flying at a reasonable speed.

Once trimmed, the flying was good. The speed was plenty fast for park type flying on 3s. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of thrust the stock unit had, very adequate. I did not have to fly any where near full throttle just to cruise around. With the ailerons I had added, the roll rate is very fast. I only had 50% expo on the ailerons and I could have used more.

The landing wasn't the best. Being so nose heavy it didn't flair well. I came in with extra speed, but the nose started dropping (couldn't hold it up) when it should have been starting the flair for a nice touch down. Bent the nose gear a bit but no big damage.

I am looking forward to getting it balanced and trimmed properly, I think it is going to be a pretty fun jet.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
will work for stick time
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2006
267 Posts
Leadfeather, congrats on your maiden! The roll rate with just taileron's is ok, but I bet it's a lot better with linked aileron's. I may have to give that a shot.