HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:36 AM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Question
ESC Timing Mode

This may have been asked before and I did do a search however I came up empty handed. My question is, what exactly does the Timing Mode setting on an ESC and what is it function?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
In brushed motor you could turn the end bell and either advance or retard the timing which in turns causes the motor to spin faster or slower but always at a cost.

More timing faster or more power but less efficent & less battery time.

For brushless since their is no burshes, the timing is done by programming the ESC.

Timing programming varies with ESC but generally they have 3 or more setting.
LOW MID & HIGH or also reffered to with numbers 15 degree 20,25 degree in timing.

Its recommended by manufacturers to leave the timing on the default value or middle setting. But you can always experiment with different settings, it will also help if you have a watt/amp meter so you can physicaly see the difference.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Ken Myers's Avatar
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,519 Posts
You might find this article useful

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
You might find this article useful

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm

Awesome source of information, thank you for sharing.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2014, 08:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Alasdairx

I tried experimenting with timing effects on my test rig, and was surprised how much efficiency I gained. At preset throttle and wattage input, my 2810/emax esc gained 5% exra thrust being moved from default mid setting 3 to 1. I then moved it to 5 and lost around 6% and, the esc got really hot, real quick. Same effect on my 3508 motors, so I'm sticking to low setting of timing. That's a total swing of 11%.
Similar result with frequency, 8k ran well, but is audible, 22k esc got super hot, and efficiency suffered, but makes motor silent to humans.
alicecooper is offline Find More Posts by alicecooper
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2014, 04:04 PM
Senile Member
Lnagel's Avatar
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,280 Posts
Congratulations. You have just discovered by experimentation what is probably a little known, but truly valid, fact of ESC operation. It is always most efficient to use the lowest timing setting and PWM frequency that allows for smooth motor operation.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion High KV ESC Timing Question... mcauburn Foamy EDFs 30 Mar 01, 2010 01:27 PM
Discussion ESC Timing Question... mcauburn Foamy EDFs 2 Mar 01, 2010 08:51 AM
Discussion Motor/esc timing blues. radek Power Systems 4 Sep 14, 2009 02:35 PM
Discussion ESC Timing Guidlines mt_100 Power Systems 1 Aug 28, 2009 02:45 PM
Discussion Programming timing mode and pwm for esc jrubenis Power Systems 5 Jun 13, 2007 08:55 AM