HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Heavy Chevy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:42 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Here's a hat cam flight video:

Ebay TW 747 Cessna flybys (4 min 57 sec)

Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:21 AM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
You got some good weather! It has been very windy here for the last few weeks...

Thanks for sharing the vid.

You'll get better at landings. If you hold a little power in (soft field) you may have better luck. When I started doing that it dramatically reduced the ground looping on landing on rough surfaces.
nikolaus_c is offline Find More Posts by nikolaus_c
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:54 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaus_c View Post
You got some good weather! It has been very windy here for the last few weeks...

Thanks for sharing the vid.

You'll get better at landings. If you hold a little power in (soft field) you may have better luck. When I started doing that it dramatically reduced the ground looping on landing on rough surfaces.
No Problem, my pleasure.

Can you explain what you mean by 'power in' when landing? Do you mean to come in with more speed?

I still have an keychain cam vid to upload too from that same spot.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:17 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Rob, I can't view your Cessna vid. All I see is a blank box with the little doodad in the top left corner I don't know why I've been having problems. Sometimes I "can" see them and other times not
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:59 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Mike,

That's very strange. On youtube, I am username Didgeman80 so maybe do a youtube search for

Didgeman80 Cessna Yukon and it should pop up.

GOod luck
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:07 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'power in' when landing? Do you mean to come in with more speed?
No, not more speed. More speed will just make you float longer before you touch down. I mean leave a little throttle (a few clicks above idle, or maybe more). If you're coming in kinda high and you think you'll over shoot you can cut, but as you flare put a little back in. It does two things (I think...) 1) when the nose it pointed slightly up, the motor actually provides a little upward lift which means less weight on the wheels or whatever touches the ground. 2) it forces extra air over the elevator, which makes it more responsive (or stronger) at low speeds, so while you're giving full up while rolling to a stop it can better keep the nose from going over. You don't need to fully cut until the plane rolls to a stop and you're no longer worried about it nosing over.

Did I confuse you more?

Happy landings!
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:13 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaus_c View Post
No, not more speed. More speed will just make you float longer before you touch down. I mean leave a little throttle (a few clicks above idle, or maybe more). If you're coming in kinda high and you think you'll over shoot you can cut, but as you flare put a little back in. It does two things (I think...) 1) when the nose it pointed slightly up, the motor actually provides a little upward lift which means less weight on the wheels or whatever touches the ground. 2) it forces extra air over the elevator, which makes it more responsive (or stronger) at low speeds, so while you're giving full up while rolling to a stop it can better keep the nose from going over. You don't need to fully cut until the plane rolls to a stop and you're no longer worried about it nosing over.

Did I confuse you more?

Happy landings!
This does make sense, I will try it out. Won't be for a few days as I'm in Vancouver for a bit still.

Thanks
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:50 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,039 Posts
You get your new plane yet rubby?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:33 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Nope, not yet. I checked the tracking number and it is in Vancouver right now....just like me. I should make its way towards my house this week so that I get home to a postal slip, hope hope

I am missing my Cessna today......
Old Apr 08, 2010, 12:52 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,039 Posts
Nice

Hope it arrives soon for ya

Quote:
Nope, not yet. I checked the tracking number and it is in Vancouver right now....just like me. I should make its way towards my house this week so that I get home to a postal slip, hope hope

I am missing my Cessna today......
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Here it is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post14828869
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:10 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
ok, so....just got back from flying the CEssna around with the wheels on and the floats off. I added three AA batteries to compensate for the weight but I may only need two as the plane felt much faster when trying to land. All in all, it was fine.

THe only problem was that I slammed dead on straight into a street light pole. Both blades of my prop snapped right off, I wish I got it on tape! THe motor needed some cleaning but seems to be ok for now, we'll see how she goes next flight.

I'm now on my last prop for both my planes. I avoided using this one as it arrived with the blades bent, like it had a weight on it and was squished during shipping. I flew the 3ch cub with it tonight which seemed ok so I will give it a go.

All in all, I'm glad that the plane and motor are ok and that it was just the prop that got pooched!

Here' s a link to a new thread I started about a P-51 mustang that I ordered today.....(this is getting out of control)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230023
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
So I just got in from a flight with the Cessna. The sun was well up as were gaining daylight like crazy in the Yukon right now, and the wind was blowing. The winds were at 18km/hr, flags were horizontal but the Cessna handled it like a champ.

I took my floats off and put the wheels back on it, it was really fun taxiing it around for take off and back to me from landing. Having the wheels off made the plane feel a bit more agile, (less drag I suppose), also realised that I need to spend more time practicing landing if I'm going to be ready for the 4ch J3cub. I did have some good landings though

Man, what a rush! I did some loops and my first rolls and my first inverted flight. I kept it high while trying these out and I should also mention that I moved my ailerons out to the furthest hole on my servo horn and I love it! I remember when I first got the Cessna as my first 4ch, my first few flights consisted of turning with the rudder and leveling the wing with the ailerons; that's a good way to get a feel for them. Today, I barely even used any rudder, mainly just duing landings. Ailerons are awesome and are essential for wind. Will have to make a video soon
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:48 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
Sounds awesome. And yes, there is a reason they have ailerons on full-scale planes.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:21 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,039 Posts
I mostly use ailerons on my stang and find myself trying to on my 3ch vapor lol.

Quote:
So I just got in from a flight with the Cessna. The sun was well up as were gaining daylight like crazy in the Yukon right now, and the wind was blowing. The winds were at 18km/hr, flags were horizontal but the Cessna handled it like a champ.

I took my floats off and put the wheels back on it, it was really fun taxiing it around for take off and back to me from landing. Having the wheels off made the plane feel a bit more agile, (less drag I suppose), also realised that I need to spend more time practicing landing if I'm going to be ready for the 4ch J3cub. I did have some good landings though

Man, what a rush! I did some loops and my first rolls and my first inverted flight. I kept it high while trying these out and I should also mention that I moved my ailerons out to the furthest hole on my servo horn and I love it! I remember when I first got the Cessna as my first 4ch, my first few flights consisted of turning with the rudder and leveling the wing with the ailerons; that's a good way to get a feel for them. Today, I barely even used any rudder, mainly just duing landings. Ailerons are awesome and are essential for wind. Will have to make a video soon