SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:30 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Discussion
Hi-Start DIY or Buy?

Found an article on how to easily build a hi-start, supposedly for under $30. Sounds great and simple. I can't find 100 feet of tubing anywhere online though for less than $80. For that price I can buy a Dynaflite hi-start.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of reasonably priced tubing?
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
I'm thinking the "...supposedly for under $30" thing is pretty much impossible these days - at least if you're talking about a full blown high start with 100 ft (or thereabouts) of rubber. The other thing about which you'll be confused are the sizing labels on the rubber tubing from the various retailers. Best to ignore terms like "standard", "heavy duty", etc., and get the actual rubber dimensions in order make an intelligent decision before you buy. To that end, attached is a matrix of some of the currently available pieces. I put it together recently, while going through the same decision-making process. In my nosing around BTW, I didn't find a source for rubber tubing that was significantly cheaper than the rest. I get the distinct impression there aren't many manufacturers of the stuff, so the prices tend to be at least fairly closely grouped. And keep in mind that we're using the latex rubber for something a little out of the ordinary, so things like UV protection should be considered in the pricing equation.

Gary L
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Thanks much!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
Try this place:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/100_foot_...s_715_prd1.htm

They also sell heavy duty for a bit more. Trust me, this rubber is superior to the normal latex tubing...
Cheers,
Jim
JRinAZ&MN is offline Find More Posts by JRinAZ&MN
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,416 Posts
Here is a source for some of the best rubber you can get for a high start

http://www.aerofoam.com/

He sells just the rubber, or complete high starts.

Just looked at the above document and see that Aerofoam is listed. Still my favorite source.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Thanks y'all. It's quite clearly cheaper to buy one than to create from scratch. Since I'm working with limited room I'm just going to buy a $30 upstart.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,460 Posts
I have tried the red Theraband exercise tubing. It seems to work well, though I don't know yet how long it will last out in the sun.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:13 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,515 Posts
What size plane do you plan to luanch today and where are you going in the future.

I only recommend the Dynaflite HS to raw newbies who want to go very cheap. Otherwise I send them to www.nesail.com for the Pinnical Hi-starts or www.aerofoam.com for the Hosemonsters.

If you want to build your own, this guy has lengths up to 50 feet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Natural-Late...item20afda7157

Others:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Latex-surgical-t...item25589a80a5
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM.