HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Oct 2004
24 Posts
Discussion
Supertigre 51 - to buy or not to buy?

I have an opportunity to buy a NIB Supertigre 51 (Chinese version) at a great price. I'm initially put off the idea by the visual impact of that bulky looking muffler - it looks awful. Yes, I know that's a silly excuse

I have a ASP 46 & its a screamer. Also have a NIB ASP 52 from Hobby City waiting now to be run in.

I don't own any Supertigres so I guess that's a good reason to buy one. How does the overall performance stack up against the ASP engines?
Bone is offline Find More Posts by Bone
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:57 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
ST 51 is a great sport engine! Lots of torque and in a broad torque band. I find that they are several steps above the ASP. Can't say as I've looked at a modern less than 10 year old ASP.
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
My G51 was my first glow engine and I am currently running it on a Tower 40 trainer with a Zinger 11x6 wooden prop. It is not really run it yet, and I am running it super rich, but it pulls my trainer around very nicely. I can loop it without having to dive or gain any speed. Just advance the throttle and pull up. Quite powerful. The only thing I had trouble with is that it is not that easy to tune if you are new to glow engines like me. The low end valve came set completely wrong from the factory and was way to rich. At the moment I am still having some trouble with the low end and achieving low idle speed, but to be honest I haven't really given it much try. There are lots of threads here on RCG giving advice on how to set this engine. Due to a high idle I had quite some trouble landing my trainer in the beginning because it wouldn't slow down enough, but again that is manly me being to impatient with the tuning and just wanting to fly. Over all, despite the ugly muffler, I really like this engine. Quite powerful. If you don't mind Chinese engines I would say this one is definitely worth trying, especially if you can get it for cheap. Thats just my 2 cents.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:49 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Just to put things straight, ST is still owned by the Italians. They moved production to China because labour costs in Italy were getting too high.

I have a G51 and it's brilliant. Admittedly mine's the CL version (different liner) so I can't comment on throttling but starting is always one flick and dead reliable. They do however take quite some time to run in but it's worth the time spent bench running. The muffler is a throwaway item though (IMO) because it's far too heavy, especially for CL, so I use a Bolly CF after-muffler.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:54 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
While the engine is "made in China". It is still Italian, that is it is an Italian design and the company is still under Italian management. The last part is very important. As that is where the emphasis on quality comes from. The Chinese work force can be among some of the greatest, their engineering staffs are. Ok, most are still trained outside of main land China but they are employed in China were things are actually manufactured. Can't say as I have much respect for China's management or for that fact most management. But they are slowly coming up to the standards of the rest of the world's management.

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:02 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,802 Posts
My vote is, go for it, while not a screamer it is a solid, totally dependable workhorse of an engine and will as is evidenced by my 1991 .51 last a long time. My old one has been a Diesel for almost its entire life turning a 12x6 three blade at 10,400 rpm. My new one made in China has not been fully broken in yet.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:21 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
I've had one for a LONG time and it's just a solid, reliable engine. Seems impossible to wear out! In a sport plane it's great. I've even had one in a 3D plane for a while. Spun a 12x4 APC very well for 3D on 15% nitro. Not the greatest transition for 3D but just fine for a sport plane.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:41 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Go for it!

I have a bunch of Super Tigre engines (24!) and four of them are G-51s. Great engine.

Good flying,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2008
21 Posts
If its anything like the one I had you'll love it and wonder why you didn't get one earlier. I'm with the others...Get it!
Clay Walters is offline Find More Posts by Clay Walters
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:40 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
Got one and will not let it go. It is a screamer. Lots of power for its size. Part of that power is from its tuned muffler.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 AM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
756 Posts
I have owned 3 .One was in the great planes patriot, one in a biplane, and the other in a scratch built quickie 500.It's an all purpose engine.At least for me it is.Drill out the muffler so you can put nuts and bolts through it.Other wise it will never stay on.I ran 10-7 props on all mine.10% and don't forget to run Castor in the fuel.Like it was stated above break in is extremely important with this engine.Take your time.

jimmy.p.

freinds let freinds fly
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
9 Posts
seems GMs2000 engines partly copy from st engines ?
Amoy is offline Find More Posts by Amoy
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2007
380 Posts
Hi, ST G 51, a Fantastic engine, go for it !!
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
United States, OK, Blair
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
I've have a ST.51 in a Bridi Super Kaos 40 with a MAC'S muffler and it runs great. Also have a ST.40 and it is great, both from China. Do like others have said and run it on the rich side and let it get good and broke-in. The Supre Tiger web site has the procedure for setting their carbs. Follow that procedure and you will have no problems with idle or transition to full throttle.
birddogs2 is offline Find More Posts by birddogs2
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2009
79 Posts
St .51

I have one and it is one of the most powerful engines in that size. I love it!
wingnut1st is offline Find More Posts by wingnut1st