HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:04 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Discussion
Muliplex EasyStar

Can you do ground takeoffs with the addition of landing gear?
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:15 PM
JettPilot's Avatar
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,364 Posts
Sure !!!! I have seen videos of them taking off the snow just by sliding on the belly. Be very careful not to add a bunch of weight and drag though. I dont think adding gear to this plane is a good idea performance wise, but it would work fine.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:38 PM
Registered User
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
As Jett says, depending on the motor you may not even need the gear. I have a Eflight 2000kv on mine and with a vtx/cam it will slide off of a thin grass or snow with no problems.

On the other hand, while the EZ makes a great fpv platform with minimal gear, it flies like sh*t when you put much weight on it. Try a Radian if you want a cheap, good replacement.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:17 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Well, I saw somewhere they sell a addon gear kit for the Easy star. I like to be able to take off and land in a seperate field (on a strip of concrete in the middle of the field) and then take off again. I think it would be impossible without gear.. I have been doing this with a small .40 balsa trainer but if you have a not-so-perfect landing, I spend a lot of time fixing damaged wingtips etc...
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:45 PM
Don't leave it Stock
mrfliboy's Avatar
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer View Post
Well, I saw somewhere they sell a addon gear kit for the Easy star. I like to be able to take off and land in a seperate field (on a strip of concrete in the middle of the field) and then take off again. I think it would be impossible without gear.. I have been doing this with a small .40 balsa trainer but if you have a not-so-perfect landing, I spend a lot of time fixing damaged wingtips etc...
I saw the gear you're talking about, being advertised at the top of RCGroups Banner, which changes constantly. Hope this helps.
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:30 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Yeah, and in RC mag. I think that would be what I need. I do like to fly with Alirons though...
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer View Post
Yeah, and in RC mag. I think that would be what I need. I do like to fly with Alirons though...
Then Stick on a set of Easyglider wings on it. That helps with the extra weight.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer View Post
Can you do ground takeoffs with the addition of landing gear?
Who needs gear? My 250W inrunner drives the plane just fine on it's belly across grass. With full video and loaded for bear on lipo's, I still prefer to hand launch though. Grin.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:30 PM
Registered User
skunkworks2006's Avatar
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Run some heavy duty strapping tape along the bottom and you can even land on pavement if needed. I've done this some, and it works okay. You just replace the tape when it gets worn. I still prefer grass and snow though, and like others can ROG w/out landing gear.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:09 PM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006 View Post
Run some heavy duty strapping tape along the bottom and you can even land on pavement if needed. I've done this some, and it works okay. You just replace the tape when it gets worn. I still prefer grass and snow though, and like others can ROG w/out landing gear.
Screw the tape! Just make sure you are crashing your easystar a couple times every month, and then you have a reason to redo the fuse every 6 months from spare fuse stock.

I'm joking.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review EasyStar RR from a Beginners Point of View WAFlyer15 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33 Jun 02, 2010 10:50 AM
Discussion Easystar maiden!! ashdec87 FPV Talk 3 Mar 03, 2010 03:42 PM
Discussion Easystar - fixing and new electronics ampsonic Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 11 Feb 26, 2010 04:52 PM
Sold muliplex ASW 27 NIB bushpilotx1 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 31, 2009 05:41 PM