HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
Discussion
best beginner rc edf?

Hi
My name is Josh
I have recently made a r/c F-117 park jet from horizon hobby i have the micro jet v2 motor on it and it flies 65mph after that i have been getting really interested in edf jets. I have pretty much mastered normal prop planes. and i was wondering what edf jet do u recommend to start out with?
Thanks alot!
joshuablume is offline Find More Posts by joshuablume
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:37 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Phase 3 F-16. And no, you have not mastered prop planes. You want a master? Check out videos of Mark Leseberg flying his freestyle, or Andrew Jesky. Or even Kyle Woyshnis.

And I have no idea where Horizon Hobby has sold an F-117..???
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
oh hahah i ment graysons hobby. and no need to be a jerk...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:37 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuablume View Post
oh hahah i ment graysons hobby. and no need to be a jerk...
Not trying to come across as a jerk, but when someone claimcs that they've mastered prop planes, it really annys us guys who have been working hard for years trying to really master it
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,300 Posts
Hey now,
Dude wasn't being a jerk. He was actually doing you a favor, odd though it seems.
So you've flown a few models, maybe even actually built one or two rather than just assembling an ARF. Sure you can prolly even fly decently managing to do some stunts, manage level flight and even on occaision know where the model will be in ten seconds.

But that by no means makes you a master.
There are folks who can take a three view and picture or two and build an exact scale model of any plane from any era. Other folks can read the rules for an event, watch a contest or three and design a perfect model for that event. Can you. Have you done so? No? Then you're no master builder.

Can you fly a 3D model to it's limits? Do waterfalls, blenders, and any nber of flips at will? No? How about flying thirty plus laps on a closed course then after flying under a limbo pole manage a ten minute thermal flight ending with a spot landing?

Or even manage the FAI pattern within the judges box for a near perfect score? No? Then you're not even close to mastery.

A passable sport pilot? That I could believe. No dude was no jerk he may have poked at your hubris but by calling you on it he was saving you much grief in later posts.

All that said if you are a competant pilot you should be able to fly most of the EDFs on the market today. The biggest difference is that jets in general take longer to spool up than prop models. So, you just need to come on the throttle a bit sooner and be smooth in your flying. Oh, and be comfortable with high speed flying. Other than that there's not a lot of difference.

The Phase III F16 is a decent place to start as are the MPX Twister, Horizon Habu, and the Worlds models "Wings maker" J10b.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:06 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
You guys are taking yourselves (or the OP's words) way too seriously. When he said "mastered" I took it it mean that he has mastered the basics of flying propeller planes (which he probably has). I don't think he was implying that he was a master of aerobatics, 3d, scale, or emperor of the sky for that matter.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:15 AM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Gee guys, The guy only ask a question and you come down on him,I started building and flying in the med 60s,From rubber band jobs, free flight,U-controls, scratch building,scale plane etc. So from my understanding of a master in your words,I'm a master builder and flyer?

joshuablume, I have own only one EDF jet a SU-27, But anyways from what I have read This Alfa Jet is great for newbie.There are some that are bigger but right now can't find them on the web.

http://www.ductedfans.com/Alfa_profi...ctric_jet.html

http://www.aff-cnc.de/aff/eng/eng_alphajet.html
Dennis H. is offline Find More Posts by Dennis H.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:16 AM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
You guys are taking yourselves (or the OP's words) way too seriously. When he said "mastered" I took it it mean that he has mastered the basics of flying propeller planes (which he probably has). I don't think he was implying that he was a master of aerobatics, 3d, scale, or emperor of the sky for that matter.
Agree!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 02:04 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,527 Posts
Lots of people feel they have mastered prop planes after they can more or less take off and land without crashing and have no interest in learning aerobatics and then as a next step want to fly as fast as they can. From what I have seen at flying fields most pilots can only manage one loop and one roll at a time even after flying for 30 years. But I feel this is changing, the younger generation is better equipped and more likely to get into aerobatics especially 3D after playing with all those computer games. There will probably still only be a few masters, people who have the skill and the dedication to become one.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
Dude wasn't being a jerk. He was actually doing you a favor, odd though it seems.
So you've flown a few models, maybe even actually built one or two rather than just assembling an ARF. Sure you can prolly even fly decently managing to do some stunts, manage level flight and even on occaision know where the model will be in ten seconds.

But that by no means makes you a master.
There are folks who can take a three view and picture or two and build an exact scale model of any plane from any era. Other folks can read the rules for an event, watch a contest or three and design a perfect model for that event. Can you. Have you done so? No? Then you're no master builder.

Can you fly a 3D model to it's limits? Do waterfalls, blenders, and any nber of flips at will? No? How about flying thirty plus laps on a closed course then after flying under a limbo pole manage a ten minute thermal flight ending with a spot landing?

Or even manage the FAI pattern within the judges box for a near perfect score? No? Then you're not even close to mastery.

A passable sport pilot? That I could believe. No dude was no jerk he may have poked at your hubris but by calling you on it he was saving you much grief in later posts.

All that said if you are a competant pilot you should be able to fly most of the EDFs on the market today. The biggest difference is that jets in general take longer to spool up than prop models. So, you just need to come on the throttle a bit sooner and be smooth in your flying. Oh, and be comfortable with high speed flying. Other than that there's not a lot of difference.

The Phase III F16 is a decent place to start as are the MPX Twister, Horizon Habu, and the Worlds models "Wings maker" J10b.
RobII
when i said ive mastered props i ment like finished and im ready to go to the next level. and i never said i was a master builder. i said ive mastered props. not a master at props. i ment ive got it down. and to me thats being a jerk wether it annoys you or not.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:08 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,527 Posts
Yeah I must say I took it that you felt ok with prop planes, you did say "pretty much mastered" so I took that to mean "comfortable with" rather than "I have mastered prop planes - and everything about them" trouble is written words can be taken so many ways and can't be taken back once they are written. So I hope you have a good time with your EDF and master that too!
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:57 AM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Josh,

I found this Fantrainer don't know if this is want you are looking for.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774574
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:09 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,089 Posts
Wow. I'm sure I'll get reported for this.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:23 AM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Wow. I'm sure I'll get reported for this.
Why even post anything if you not going to help this young man?
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,461 Posts
All that, and no one mentioned the following forums that are here on RCGroups -

Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk forum

Foamy EDFs forum

Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems forum

Have a look through these Josh, and perhaps ask your question in one, good luck with EDF.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray