SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:55 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Discussion
Sony Vegas Question

I asked this in the gopro section the other day, but no responce so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm using the free download of sony vegas pro 9.0 and am noticing something. My final rendering of my videos are underexposed compared to the originals. I see no settings to change exposure and definitely didn't manually change any. My question obviously is why? The first vid was on an overcast day, but today I went out and it was clear and sunny. The final rendering looks like it's about a stop, possibly two, underexposed. Is there something in the setting somewhere I need to change? This is my first experience with editing, so forgive my newbiness(new word maybe?.....Websters....) Any help from those with more experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Forest
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:23 AM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
I asked this in the gopro section the other day, but no responce so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm using the free download of sony vegas pro 9.0 and am noticing something. My final rendering of my videos are underexposed compared to the originals. I see no settings to change exposure and definitely didn't manually change any. My question obviously is why? The first vid was on an overcast day, but today I went out and it was clear and sunny. The final rendering looks like it's about a stop, possibly two, underexposed. Is there something in the setting somewhere I need to change? This is my first experience with editing, so forgive my newbiness(new word maybe?.....Websters....) Any help from those with more experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Forest
Sorry I canít help other than to say I havenít had that issue at all. How are you rendering it?
I have the same software and am very happy with it Ė compared to Premiere that is.

-Ellis
Ellis108 is offline Find More Posts by Ellis108
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:35 AM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Still on version 8 and i usually use the plug-in....contrast/brightness. You may want to read thru these articles also.

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...s_part_one.htm

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Edit...lems-52071.htm
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
Is it possible the Demo version does that to rendered video?
JediKnight2 is offline Find More Posts by JediKnight2
Old Mar 09, 2010, 02:28 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Not that I've seen, but I never rendered much out from it. Waiting until after April to buy.

Though that said I got a thing from Video Guys that they have the VegasPro9/DVD Architect5 with a 1TB RAID array on sale for $600, not a bad deal at all.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:27 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I've rendered them in both .avi and .jpeg2 and they both came out the same way. I was wondering if it was a trail issue thing as well, but seems odd to do if you're giving someone a try at your product to make it turn out a lesser quality end product. I'll have to keep playing around and see. Thanks.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:55 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
I've rendered them in both .avi and .jpeg2 and they both came out the same way. I was wondering if it was a trail issue thing as well, but seems odd to do if you're giving someone a try at your product to make it turn out a lesser quality end product. I'll have to keep playing around and see. Thanks.
Check out this forum. It is run and administered by a guy named Edward Troxel who probably knows more about how Vegas works than the people the wrote the application. You may dig up an answer there. I have also emailed a colleague of mine (I'm a video producer as well) that uses Vegas to see if he has heard of it. I use a different app and play with Vegas occasionally so I am far from a power user in Vegas....now if you have an Edius question then "bring it on"

I'll let you know if I uncover anything from my Vegas buddy.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:02 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Thanks Frogman, I was hoping you would pop up with some info.

On a side note, what about video de-shakers or smoothers? Any good free apps. or reasonably priced ones around? Perfect conditions almost never happen around here so I figure it may be a good addition to have just to help out a little. I know there's a trade off for some quality in the end, but it may be better than nothing. Thanks again.

Forest
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
I tried the trial version of this and it does work, ain't no where close to free though Kinda hard to understand why a plug-in for Vegas cost more than Vegas does.

http://www.newbluefx.com/
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:52 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
I tried the trial version of this and it does work, ain't no where close to free though Kinda hard to understand why a plug-in for Vegas cost more than Vegas does.

http://www.newbluefx.com/
That plugin costs more than Vegas cause you aren't using the full blown Vegas Pro application. You are using the "lightened" consumer version of the app called Vegas Movie Studio. The newblue stabilizer is a very new plugin. I haven't tried it out but watched the demo. I have another stabilizer that came with my editing app that works well so I haven't bothered to try it out. I was wondering how well it would work.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:59 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1 View Post
Still on version 8 and i usually use the plug-in....contrast/brightness. You may want to read thru these articles also.

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...s_part_one.htm

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Edit...lems-52071.htm
I'd say use a plug-in to bring the brightness up a bit like suggested here...

I use the Levels one to change the exposure on my videos.

Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:07 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I'll check those out, just hadn't had time yet today to look at em. Thanks.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:09 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Frogman, I was hoping you would pop up with some info.

On a side note, what about video de-shakers or smoothers? Any good free apps. or reasonably priced ones around? Perfect conditions almost never happen around here so I figure it may be a good addition to have just to help out a little. I know there's a trade off for some quality in the end, but it may be better than nothing. Thanks again.

Forest
OK....lets troubleshoot this. I think I may know what the problem is but I need you to test something for me. Take the file you encoded for the internet and import it into Vegas. Put it on your timeline directly above the original footage from the camera. Pick a spot in your clip with the timeline cursor. Your monitor window should be showing the encoded clip. Now if you mute the upper track to show the original footage is it still brighter than the encoded footage?

Is the encoded footage still appearing a few stops darker?

Let me know.

For stabilizers FlipFlop linked to a brand new one that just hit the market that plugs into Vegas from a company called NewBlueFX. I think it is about $100. I haven't tried it out but the demo shows it works pretty well. Of course who would put a demo up that shows their product sucks.

I use a stabilization app called Mercalli Antishake.

http://www.prodad.de/gb/mercalli_std_details.html

I was fortunate that the utility came with the latest upgrade to may editing app as a freebie plugin. I use it all the time. The following clip used the plugin.

http://www.skyeyeproductions.com/ and click on the video link.

There is a deshake filter for Virtualdub which is a shareware lite duty editor that is used more for it's encoding. I have never tried it as using virtual dub is just another step in the process of producing a video. I try to be a quick as possible....I don't need more steps.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:00 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Ok, did what you asked. In the editor, they look exactly the same, no exposure difference. What's your thought?
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:23 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Ok, did what you asked. In the editor, they look exactly the same, no exposure difference. What's your thought?
That tells me nothing is happening to darken them in the encoding process. I asked my Vegas buddy and he told me it is a result of Vegas, Windows Movie player and other video playback apps using your graphics card and overlays in different ways. Those apps all have to be calibrated which is not real easy if you are not computer savvy.

Overlays are what your graphics card uses to display video. When you see a clip in your Vegas monitor the graphics card is actually creating a separate window "overlay" within your app to display the video. Evidentally Vegas creates to overlay with different functionality than Windows Media Player does. They can both access that feature from the graphics card but make the programming calls to the graphic cards processors with different programming. There is usually a way in your graphics card settings to calibrate displays but if you don't know what you are doing you can screw it all up pretty good. Just make a mental note that in WMP your videos will be a little darker. Have you tried uploading it to the internet on youtube or vimeo. Try that and play it back and see if it is as dark as when you play it off you computer. If it looks good played off the internet then that tells you your browser is just using the overlay in a different way as well.

I have a little device I plug into a USB port every few weeks and it calibrates my screen to be closer to photography color spaces. Have you ever edited a photo and then took it to get it printed and it didn't look the same. That's because your screen isn't calibrated to photography standards. THe little device I have gets everything pretty close....close enough to edit with and not worry about colors being messed up.

Does that explain it in terms you can understand.