HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:25 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
Discussion
help setting up elevons on wing and cg on ritewing

built a ritewing iyf44 about a month ago (my first wing) and when i took it out the wing was all over the place either my cg was off and maybe my throws were to much, i was little disappointed...i took it out again today after missing around with the throws and it was a little better but not great..i want to set it up to have more elevator throw and less aileron throw is this possible to do because when i lower the aileron throw it also affected my elevator throw, i was using end point adjustment..can someone explain how it is setup from the beginning..dont want to give up on the wing..also explain how the cg is setup...i am using an optic 6 radio if it matters any, any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks
ff954 is offline Find More Posts by ff954
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:40 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,789 Posts
Where is your CG?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:35 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff954 View Post
built a ritewing iyf44 about a month ago (my first wing) and when i took it out the wing was all over the place either my cg was off and maybe my throws were to much, i was little disappointed...i took it out again today after missing around with the throws and it was a little better but not great..i want to set it up to have more elevator throw and less aileron throw is this possible to do because when i lower the aileron throw it also affected my elevator throw, i was using end point adjustment..can someone explain how it is setup from the beginning..dont want to give up on the wing..also explain how the cg is setup...i am using an optic 6 radio if it matters any, any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks
Best thing to do would have an experienced winger help you dial it in. Wings are very challenging to "dial" in. Its not really something thats easily self taught, you really need a demonstration or two as there are multiple things to consider.

Not familiar with your radio, It sounds like you need some help programming it properly, aileron and elevator are separate functions and should be adjustable independently. You should be able to have as much elevator and aileron as you please without affecting the other.

Where do you live? Maybe someone is nearby who can help, other wise lets start with you current setup, whats your current CG, Whats your current throws, what mix on the radio are you using? Is there reflex when you landed or none? Did you try a dive test? WHat about inverted, how did it feel?

Well get you dialed bro, just need some more info.

Th
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:43 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025 View Post
Best thing to do would have an experienced winger help you dial it in. Wings are very challenging to "dial" in. Its not really something thats easily self taught, you really need a demonstration or two as there are multiple things to consider.

Not familiar with your radio, It sounds like you need some help programming it properly, aileron and elevator are separate functions and should be adjustable independently. You should be able to have as much elevator and aileron as you please without affecting the other.

Where do you live? Maybe someone is nearby who can help, other wise lets start with you current setup, whats your current CG, Whats your current throws, what mix on the radio are you using? Is there reflex when you landed or none? Did you try a dive test? WHat about inverted, how did it feel?

Well get you dialed bro, just need some more info.
i dont belong to any clubs yet i just go to the local park to fly so i dont know any wingers in my area, i can see that it is not easy to dial in..my cg is around 8in from tip of nose.. i dont have any mixes, only thing i did was end point adjustment at 23% on channel 1 and 2..didnt do any inverted and no dive test..what is reflex? i think i should reset my radio settings and start over from scratch...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:46 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,789 Posts
Cg needs to be 7 1/4 from nose or it will not fly, 8'' is wayyyyyyyy tooooo far back.

That is a huge reason you are having the issues now.
Beginners fly them all the time, whats your setup now for bats and motor?

ck
Quote:
i dont belong to any clubs yet i just go to the local park to fly so i dont know any wingers in my area, i can see that it is not easy to dial in..my cg is around 8in from tip of nose.. i dont have any mixes, only thing i did was end point adjustment at 23% on channel 1 and 2..didnt do any inverted and no dive test..what is reflex? i think i should reset my radio settings and start over from scratch...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
ok, do i add weight to the nose to balance the cg...i am running microdan 2505 2800kv with phoenix 45 and turnigy 2200 3s, glassed and monocoted..i figure something has to be wrong because i read of a lot of beginners maidening with great sucess...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:13 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,789 Posts
Yess for shure add weight, open the batt bay and melt a hole in front of the batt with a heated clothes hanger, then sink some lead till it flys the way you like, then you can spread some goop in it, or hot glue to hold the lead in place once you get it to fly like you want.

ck
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:26 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
thanks will try that...i'll keep u posted
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:44 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:

I run the eclipce 7 which is very simular to your radio in programing.

First off set up the radio for elvon enabled (I assume you did that aready)

End point will only help you balence max throws one way or the other

you want to use dual rates and dial it down to about 3/8's of and inch aliron and about 1/2 inch elevator you will have seprate dual rates one for ch1 or 2 reduce the dual rate till your when you need to be for max throw.

you can always flip the switch the other way to get max throws or set it down to just a bit more

to quate %'s would be hard because of the mecanical advantage of the servo arm and the control horn (which holes) and which sizes you used.

in mine i run about 50% when i use the top horn on the servo and the middle hole on the horn) and about 75% when dual rates are off...

i could go 100 to 120% if i wanted but im a little on the sane side of the ritewing pool.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
thanks for the info paul..
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
trying to set the cg i found i needed 119 grams of weight in the front for proper cg, does that sound right? i thought that was a lot of weight..
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:45 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
not unheard of.. and i have added more on some models
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi