Still waiting on the next release...
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,402 Posts
When is the video going to go up on YouTube????? It should be available on the CC website.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
When is the video going to go up on YouTube????? It should be available on the CC website.
Can also find it here:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...al_videos.html
Old May 03, 2010, 01:19 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,515 Posts
OK I set my Trex 450 on Govonor mode per the instructions with an align 430 motor on it and a couple year old Phoenix 35. When I flew today the head speed seemed too slow and the rpms surged up and down. Then after a few minutes of flight the motor smoked and it now toast. Fortunately I was close to the ground an autoed it in. What do you think I did wrong?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 03, 2010, 01:30 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
OK I set my Trex 450 on Govonor mode per the instructions with an align 430 motor on it and a couple year old Phoenix 35. When I flew today the head speed seemed too slow and the rpms surged up and down. Then after a few minutes of flight the motor smoked and it now toast. Fortunately I was close to the ground an autoed it in. What do you think I did wrong?
Email the .dat file to clint@castlecreations.com

I will look at the setting to see if I can get any info. Thanks very much.
Old May 03, 2010, 01:46 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,515 Posts
I'd love to. Where will I find the .dat file?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 04, 2010, 10:08 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I'd love to. Where will I find the .dat file?
You can save the file from the Castle link....file tab at the top- save file to the PC and then email it.

If you need help you can email me at clint@castlecreations.com for the fastes response. Thanks very much.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:21 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Hey Clint I decided to give SET RPM mode another try since I updated my Firmware to 3.22 last night. I am running a 1800kv motor in my Trex 500 FBL with a 11 tooth pinion. I have been running this motor for a while with a 12 tooth pinion and running between 2850rpm and 2900rpm with a flat 85% throttle curve in fixed end point mode. Last night I changed back to a 11 tooth and decided to set my SET RPM headspeeds at 2600, 2700, 2800 but they all say that theyse headspeeds are too high to properly govern. I am a bit confused as to why they say that? Should I just ignore it and check the logs after a quick flight?

Motor is a Turnigy Typhoon
1800kv, 6 pole
Spur is a standard 162 tooth.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Hey Clint I decided to give SET RPM mode another try since I updated my Firmware to 3.22 last night. I am running a 1800kv motor in my Trex 500 FBL with a 11 tooth pinion. I have been running this motor for a while with a 12 tooth pinion and running between 2850rpm and 2900rpm with a flat 85% throttle curve in fixed end point mode. Last night I changed back to a 11 tooth and decided to set my SET RPM headspeeds at 2600, 2700, 2800 but they all say that theyse headspeeds are too high to properly govern. I am a bit confused as to why they say that? Should I just ignore it and check the logs after a quick flight?

Motor is a Turnigy Typhoon
1800kv, 6 pole
Spur is a standard 162 tooth.
I ran almost the same setup with a 13t pinion. The GOV Program in the castle link is basing it information from the battery profile that you enter...if 6s lipo it is based off 3.7 volts per cell...if you click th info tab next to the desired Head Speed box this will show you where you are within the recommended range...you can set it outside of this range but the GOV Program will work best while within the advised parameters. For example if you are in fixed mode and running flat out at 100% with no load in a hover and you tach the blades at 2800...near the end of the flight a voltage drops off you will see the Head Speed decay...if you were to look at the decayed Head Speed at the end of the flight and then drop the head speed slightly as your desired Head Speed then this would be considered over head... kinda like realizing what the Heli can do and then working around the numbers so it can realistically maintain the Head Speed as loads change. The GOV program calculates everything for you so as long as you stay between the recommended range of 70-95% then you will see the GOV working within the recommended parameters and it should work very well.

The 11t pinion is not going to allow the GOV to work very well...2600 with the 11t would be 106% ( click on the Info Box to find this )2700 would be 110.6 and 2800 would 114.7.........with the 13t these values are 90.1%,93.6 and 97%. This is within the recommended range on 2 head Speeds and the 3rd is slightly outside... with really good batteries or a less aggressive flying style this will work good even thou it may e slightly outside the recommendation. I have found that a FBLs system can make a big difference and let you run outside the range with great success. I hope this helps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190885 PDFs

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240655 Throttle Calibration

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240675 Auto-Rotation Calibration

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206741 Set RPM Mode Tutorial

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1203033 Demo Mode

The links may also be useful to help understand the GOV mode. I would recommend trying the 11t since you have it on and then try the 13t and you should be able to see a difference.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:13 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Clint I guess the part that I can't comprehend is that at 85% straight pitch curve with the 11 tooth pinion I am getting over 2800rpm at 100%, throttle I have tached this heli at aver 2900rpm. With a 12 tooth the headspeed was scary fast and over 3000rpm, that is why I dropped to a 11 tooth. That is why I am questioning running a larger pinion to even get 2600rpm. My biggest concern is that I throw on a 13 tooth pinion and the headspeed is way high even though it is only 2700-2800rpm in the program. I don't want to sound like I am questioning you just want to make sure this is right before I go and fly.

What I think I will do is put the 13 tooth pinion on and set my headspeed for 2600rpm only, fly the heli and tach it and see what it says. I will compare that to the RPM in th software and go from there. This is the reason I have stuck with Fixed Endpoint mode all these years
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:02 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Clint I guess the part that I can't comprehend is that at 85% straight pitch curve with the 11 tooth pinion I am getting over 2800rpm at 100%, throttle I have tached this heli at aver 2900rpm. With a 12 tooth the headspeed was scary fast and over 3000rpm, that is why I dropped to a 11 tooth. That is why I am questioning running a larger pinion to even get 2600rpm. My biggest concern is that I throw on a 13 tooth pinion and the headspeed is way high even though it is only 2700-2800rpm in the program. I don't want to sound like I am questioning you just want to make sure this is right before I go and fly.

What I think I will do is put the 13 tooth pinion on and set my headspeed for 2600rpm only, fly the heli and tach it and see what it says. I will compare that to the RPM in th software and go from there. This is the reason I have stuck with Fixed Endpoint mode all these years
Raydee, don't over-think this... just use the advisement of the program....you can't really compare the numbers in fixed endpoint mode and Set RPM GOV mode. With the Set RPM Mode the voltage is being used in the GOV program to determine the Head Speed Range so it can maintain the Head speed over the duration of the flight. If you run the 85% throttle in Fixed Mode when the battery is fully charged and 85% in Fixed Mode when the battery is near the 80% discharge you will see the voltage directly influences the Head Speed.

To keep it simple just try what the program is recommending in Set RPM Mode and then see what you think. It is always good to double check the Heli with an optical tach if you have it...I have seen several cases where the Head Sped ways way off and the pole count of the motor was entered incorrectly.
Follow up with me here if you like : clint@castlecreations.com
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:45 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
Question:
Im new to gov mode and will hopefully be using it (CC85HV)on my 700E camera ship.
Right now, with fixed endpoints, my target headspeed of 1900 degrades as the 12S batteries loose voltage. I end up loosing a few hundred rpm's towards the end of the flight and it introduces a little low speed vibration as I go below my "sweet spot" rpm.

Question is, will the governor hold my targeted head speed throughout the flight, or will the headspeed begin to degrade as the pack wears down?
Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Matt,
The gov. will allow you to hold the same head speed throughout the flight as long as the flight isn't outlasting the packs usable mah. In other words as long as you stay within 75-80% of the packs capacity it will hold it.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
Thats what I thought. thanks for your support!
Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Michigan
Joined Jul 2004
116 Posts
I am setting up a Trex 500 with the ICE 75 amp speed controller with a Total G flybarless unit. With this unit Curtis recommends spooling the head speed up to 50% before changing into govenor mode. The reason he states this is above 40-50% throttle the Flybarless unit goes into a heading hold mode, and can make it difficult to take off without crashing. Once you run through the setup can you then change normal throttle back to have a linear curve? any other suggestons on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
planeflier is offline Find More Posts by planeflier