SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2003, 10:37 PM
NY
Joined Dec 1999
308 Posts
whats the difference- fun flying and 3D

Whats is the difference , is there a rule book on fun flying and 3D?
RonPlanes is offline Find More Posts by RonPlanes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2003, 07:25 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I'll give it a shot. Fun flyers usually have a boom type body and not much of a fuse. Most real funfly planes could not knife edge. These planes are designed for timed events. The most loops in a 10 second time. The most touch and goes.

3D birds are meant to hover, harrier, flat spin, torque roll, etc. Some are profiles like the Morris Sledge or Ohio Model Planes Edge 540. Some are scale like birds... Cap 232, Suki, etc.

Now I'm not saying a real funfly bird isn't a good 3D bird. Mark Shope or Jerry Smith's pure bred funflys can do all those things. All but knife edge.

Here is an example of some profiel 3D flyers:
http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com

and this is an example of funly people.
http://www.ncffafunfly.org/

And don't forget about the guys flying the big expensive birds doing 3D.

The lines can be blurry. It is really just what you want to do.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old May 28, 2003, 03:35 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,066 Posts
Fun-fly is the "old school" term originally used before the Marketing people devised their "new and improved" term called 3D.

Along with the term evolution came design changes.

Basically, it means the same thing and is often interchanged.

Hey Billy,

That is one sweet looking 3D plane you're holding!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 29, 2003, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
It's top secret! Don't look at it!
Administrator
Old Jun 03, 2003, 07:28 AM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
This is what FF means to me:
Haveing events like timed T&G, Spot landing, Limbo etc, these could be flown by most any plane from trainer to Morris the Knife.

This is what 3D means to me:
Harrier, hovering, rolling harrier, waterfalls blenders, walls, parachutes and i know there is alot more out there.

I consider myself a FF'r thats moveing more in the direction of 3D. ....Gator
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:52 AM
Proud Pro Bro # 13
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2003
1,762 Posts
I think fun flying is more a timed event style of flying like Gator mentioned, and 3D is a free style doing all kind of high alpha maneuvers and prop hanging.
Ulf Rieder is offline Find More Posts by Ulf Rieder
Old Jun 03, 2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Welcome boys!
Administrator
Old Jun 03, 2003, 01:39 PM
The Woodlands, Texas USA
Joined Sep 2001
31 Posts
And if you really want to brain lock up, we can get into the evolution of the difference in the planes.

The original fun fly planes are just like Billy described. Boom fuse with thick airfoil wings.

Then came the Profiles. The orignal Hots may have been first, however it still had a built up fuse and regular strip ailerons. Then the Sig Fazer and the Morris Sudukoi came about. 92-93 ish, I think. These had the profile fuse we have come to see with a thick airfoil and large control surfaces.

The profiles allowed for more extreme manuvers to be performed, manuvers never seen before with typical aerobatic R/C planes. Hovering, climbing flat spins, flying backwards. Profiles started to be known as Fun Flys. I think it was the 94 TOC that the term "3D" was used.

Then came planes like the dazzler that had the thick airfoil wing, however with a regular box fuse, very similar to the orignal Hots. Reason for this is, most people hated the look of a profile, however like the flight ability of the profile fun flys.

In 98ish, some guys in Europe started flying a split between a pattern plane and a profile. They have thick airfoil wings and tall fuses, longer moment with once again huge control surfaces. Madness, Flip 3D, UCD, these planes are considered true 3D planes.

So..........you have the competion Fun Fly planes, Profile planes, 3D planes and scale aerobatic planes that can perform 3D manuvers.

3D is a style of flying. Many different planes can fly 3D. For some reason, 3D and fun flying seem to get crossed up with many people.

They are all fun to me.
YNOT is offline Find More Posts by YNOT