HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:29 PM
Mach Con
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,795 Posts
Question
Monokote or Ultracoat... do they even make ultracoat anymore?

I have heard people have had issues with the solid colored monokote film. Is this still the case... Do LHS's carry ultracoat anymore? I think this used to work on EPP pretty well... I am aware of the new clear laminate film and like it and also have sign vinyl. just have some old ultracoat that I may exchange for a different color scheme....

thanks
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:03 PM
Riding the crest of a high and
Joined Jan 2003
6,806 Posts
I order Ultracoat (Hangar9, etc) , but a friend of mine has gone to Towerkote on his foamies, and it seems to work great at about half the price.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:49 PM
Great, kid! Don't get Cocky!
Joined Sep 2006
506 Posts
Ultracote Absolutely is still available. Just bought two rolls of white to recover my ASH-26 wings.

I have used several different covering materials over the years, and It's just hard to beat the finish and durability you get with Ultracote. It just goes on so much better, is easier to stretch around curves and wing tips, and does not wrinkle as bad in the sun. You can try something cheaper but I doubt it will be as good. Just my two cents. . .

Solo
HahnSolo is offline Find More Posts by HahnSolo
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:56 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
I have heard good things about Towerkote but had a horrible experience a few years ago. It seemed to scratch real easy and would shrink unevenly. I was covering a sheeted wing, FWIW.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Mar 09, 2010, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2006
311 Posts
I use Ultracoat, and I'm generally happy with it; it plays well with spackle. It's available at Robin's Hobby in Glendale.
c.walker is offline Find More Posts by c.walker
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:57 AM
Mach Con
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,795 Posts
thank you gents
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:22 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
I'm gonna try Hobby lobby low-temp polycover. Supposedly its Oracover (the best version of ultracoat) but lighter, wish me luck.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:46 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
715 Posts
I get Ultracote at Atlanta Hobby. Even in this day and age of the "new stuff" covering I still prefer good old Ultracote.
Chris
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:31 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,441 Posts
Ultra and Mono both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like Monokote best over thinned goop and a full tape job.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old Mar 10, 2010, 04:22 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
I have used both Ultracoat (Oracover) and Monokote for years. In fact, my first Monokote job was with the original monokote which we now know as trim sheets (Yeah, I'm old).

The last Ultrakote I purchased (6 months ago) had "Oracover" printed on the white peel backing in very faint black letters done with a dot matrix.

FWIW, this is my opinion on when to choose either for a particular job.

Monokote: Higher gloss finish that is more prone to picking up scratches that will not rub out. The wow factor of a just finished plane is higher due to deeper shine. The colour is in the glue which is then applied to a clear sheet. If you lift it or fold it, the colour (adhesive) seperates from the clear film ruining the piece. It does not stick to itself when doing overlaps as well as Oracover. It is harder to get good compound curves around wingtips that Oracover. However, it is far superior when used on open structures than Oracover. It has less tendancy to wrinkle over an open structure and tends to hold its tension better. In all instances, it holds wing shape better. So once a wing is twisted into shape and pulled tight, it tends to stay that way fo longer with Monokote.

Oracover: The gloss is not as deep as monokote. The finish is a bit more matt. Scratches in the finish will rub out better than monokote using heat and a bit of polishing compound. The colour is in the plastic film itself and the adhesive is clear. This means that the same application temperatures work almost accross the whole range of colours where Monokote seems to have a temperature for each colour. Overlaps stick very well and do not tend to shrink away with subsequent applications of heat. Oracover is superior over fully sheeted structures and inferior over open structures. If using the covering to remove warps, Oracover will not retain the adjustment very well on a hot day (compared to Monokote). All in all it is an easier product to apply, especially with complicated patterns and lots of overlaps. Doing compound curves is easy if the heat is right.

Both products are excellent and fantastic results can be achieved with them. All of the above is my opinion after applying a lot of both products.

Your mileage may vary

Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
I do think I should add to what I said above regarding use of iron-on covering for foamies. Ultracoat will apply using a fairly wide range of temperature settings. Using low heat to activate the glue without doing any shrinking allows you to laminate the covering onto a taped epp model. Whilst this can be done with monokote, the minimum temperature needed to do it is quite a bit higher. The temperature needed to activate the glue on Monokote is above the shrinking temperture of the strapping tape (3M tape anyway). Applying Monokote to a taped epp faomie can and will induce a lot of warps.

For taped epp models, use Ultracoat and appy at a low (no shrink) temperature. Then turn up the iron for going around the tips and curves or sealing down ovelaps. Then use a temperature just hot enough to shrink the covering to tighten it up as needed. This will shrink the covering without shrinking the tape underneath and turning the plane into a banana (Sorry, Juri).

Again, your mileage may vary. All the above is my opinion of the two products.

Paul
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:00 AM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
Horizon Hobby has the best selection of coverings and great prices.

Joe
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:18 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,441 Posts
I pretty much agreed with tailslide's 1st post but not the second.
I've found the biggest advantage to covering EPP with Monokote is that it will relax when heat is applied making compound curves easier to cover. Also makes crash induced wrinkles easier to remove. ymmv
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:12 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
1000MPH,
I do not disagree with your post. However, I think you are shrinking the tape to accomplish this result due to the temperature required for monokote. When you shrink the tape, you change the shape of the part. Sometimes you have to do this when repairing battle damage, but it should be a last resort. I recommended Ultracoat for foamies becuase you can accomplish the same thing without shrinking the tape and changing the plane's aerodynamics.

Not arguing, just observing

Paul