HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
wunderground says 10-20 mph in the morning gusting to 30 by the afternoon, all southwest wind
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,488 Posts
What time are people showing up at Eagle tomorrow?

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:04 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
pilots meeting is at 9am so we will be there about 8:30
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:29 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,843 Posts
Another epic weekend at the butte. Friday it rained all day long. Saturday had winds starting at 30+ and by noon it was 45 and by 3:00 it was near 50 to 60. The combat was brutal and we all had penetration issues. Congrats to all the winners and its good to know the "died hard died proud" trophy again (for the 5th year) goes west of the mountains. We all learned a thing or two about launching large gliders into 45 to 50+ mph wind at eagle. First we launched my 4M ASW 28 into winds 45+. It was intense and could have resulted in catastrophy. It took 4 persons to hold it steady enough to get near the edge of the hill. At the edge the stresses on the wing with the 4 holding it were bending the wings more than I see in high G turns. Once it was in the air it moved out and all was good. Next was Derricks Pike Giant and now the wind was over 50 mph. Communications between the 4 of us holding the ship and the pilot with winds that high are pretty much useless and Derrick was looking at his control surfaces being buffeted so badly he was ready for something bad to happen. The ship looked like it was about to explode at any moment and then the wind started to gust in excess of 55. Again once we tossed it the stresses went away and it moved out into the lift. After that we got to fly Todds R2 Rodent with all the led ballast. This is one serious LED SLED when fully loaded and redefined the term energy retension. Half pipes to the moon and back and loops with a diameter of over 500' and it was landable. I think minimum speed with all the ballast is near 50 and I was even able to back it up a little in the landing area. When she was really moving the turns were sketchy and she was swinging the wings at times but the wind was 55+ and turbulant. Sunday was sunny with winds 8 to 10 and we had a 1:45 non stop combat session in the morning and then the lift started cycling. Some great slermaling and more combat through the early afternoon and then the wind died to nothing. I hope some got pics and will post them.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:22 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
dang, wish i had stayed sunday, maybe i could have flown my smaller planes without worrying about crashing or being blown apart by the gale forces of saturday

i havent looked at the video i shot during combat but if its decent i will put it up
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:41 AM
Lets Turn and Burn!
East Wenatchee ,Washington
Joined Mar 2005
350 Posts
Stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Another epic weekend at the butte. Friday it rained all day long. Saturday had winds starting at 30+ and by noon it was 45 and by 3:00 it was near 50 to 60. The combat was brutal and we all had penetration issues. Congrats to all the winners and its good to know the "died hard died proud" trophy again (for the 5th year) goes west of the mountains. We all learned a thing or two about launching large gliders into 45 to 50+ mph wind at eagle. First we launched my 4M ASW 28 into winds 45+. It was intense and could have resulted in catastrophy. It took 4 persons to hold it steady enough to get near the edge of the hill. At the edge the stresses on the wing with the 4 holding it were bending the wings more than I see in high G turns. Once it was in the air it moved out and all was good. Next was Derricks Pike Giant and now the wind was over 50 mph. Communications between the 4 of us holding the ship and the pilot with winds that high are pretty much useless and Derrick was looking at his control surfaces being buffeted so badly he was ready for something bad to happen. The ship looked like it was about to explode at any moment and then the wind started to gust in excess of 55. Again once we tossed it the stresses went away and it moved out into the lift. After that we got to fly Todds R2 Rodent with all the led ballast. This is one serious LED SLED when fully loaded and redefined the term energy retension. Half pipes to the moon and back and loops with a diameter of over 500' and it was landable. I think minimum speed with all the ballast is near 50 and I was even able to back it up a little in the landing area. When she was really moving the turns were sketchy and she was swinging the wings at times but the wind was 55+ and turbulant. Sunday was sunny with winds 8 to 10 and we had a 1:45 non stop combat session in the morning and then the lift started cycling. Some great slermaling and more combat through the early afternoon and then the wind died to nothing. I hope some got pics and will post them.
Ditto: Here are some pics to go along with Davids Post. BlitZ
Blitz Kraig is offline Find More Posts by Blitz Kraig
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:23 AM
Lets Turn and Burn!
Joined Mar 2005
350 Posts
Chicago Man

This Guy needs a Post all his own. He flew all the way out here from Chicago to see how the windy city is lacking in Wind , and Hills. Brian Had good Time. His Typhoon incurred some Damage on the way out here on the Airlines, I'd make them by you a new one Brian. BlitZ
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Lets Turn and Burn!
Joined Mar 2005
350 Posts
The Mighty Sailor Men

Some of the usual Suspects at Eagle Last weekend. From Rain, To Blowing To Sixty's, to Flying one hour and forty five minute combat session.Draining Battery's, While searching for thermals to regain 200' just to get back up to land again. We Worked those Thermals instead of Walking on Sunday. We were all Dog Tired after a fun fulfilled Weekend at Eagle.
Did I Mention I Made One Kill and Got Killed seventeen Times Flying My Competition sailplane at the Combat Bash? BlitZ
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,347 Posts
Good times!
Thanks again to MCS for putting on the event.
Todd
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:57 AM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
Was your competition combat sailplane red? You did not mention that.
Great time and killer winds!
Dave
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:51 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Fantastic seeing that big ASW fly in big winds, let you really wring it out! And the Rodent, EPIC!

Ryan and I stayed on late into sunday and had some of the best wind of the weekend a couple hours before sundown (at least for my minivec); smooth, strong, filled in with no sign of thermal suck, plenty to pitch about my MV with utter impunity. Great weekend for sure and great to meet some likewise dedicated slopers. I wont hesitate to cross the country for another Eagle experience!
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Kraig View Post
This Guy needs a Post all his own. He flew all the way out here from Chicago to see how the windy city is lacking in Wind , and Hills. Brian Had good Time. His Typhoon incurred some Damage on the way out here on the Airlines, I'd make them by you a new one Brian. BlitZ
Ouch. All I saw from my peripheral was a tumbling, flailing, shredding mass of blue. Nuts! Glad you got that last servo back
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
806 Posts
per Sam and Thomas, SDR workable fri after a light eagle AM
after a great 1st 1/2 day skiing at alpental, i arrived late saturdy to find Sam, Thomas, Brad, Mike G, Creg and wifie working diminishing lift at sdr. apparently had been very nice earlier that day
i got 1 flight in with the e-esprit. watched sam and thomas mostly doing close in flying milking bug farts on the lip.
there was i believe 1 hail mary recovery from the valley below followed by 1 walk of shame, minimal damage tho

today different story: arrived early at eagle and was light but by around 9:30 someone up there flipped a switch and didnt turn it off all day. gusty turbulent until around 2-3ish, up to 50 but mostly in the 30-40's. became smooth as glass by early evening. jeremy and wifie, carl and bro also showed.
myriad toys. i flew everything from the espirt to the salto to the loaded big ceres and the ls4. unfortunately I didnt land everything
carnage x3, 2 out of which was mine, expensive trip this 1 is for me, buuumer.

expecting more tomorrow - epic flying that is, sans carnage.
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
Last edited by balsabozo; Apr 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
Joined Apr 2006
806 Posts
ask sam and thomas. i am not ready to talk about it. need to go and fly!!
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:16 AM
Soaring way up below my toes
Victoria B.C.
Joined Aug 2003
103 Posts
Dammit...would have liked to made it out this trip. I received several harassment texts, not to mention some peer pressure phone calls before hand...good to hear from you guys. My fave trips have a smorgasbord of conditions like this, so everything makes it out of the bags. Judging by the photos, SRTL is required for admittance these days? I better get on top of that.

Brad: I recommend those goggles for slope use only...visions of you being apprehended by the fuzz at the mall.

Next time.

-russman
russmans is offline Find More Posts by russmans