HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,972 Posts
When will you ever find time to fly the new supra's? You won't need a hair cut to go to France.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:10 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
421 Posts
Back to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2200 View Post
Keith, I think you should be building those new planes rather than dinkin around with Photo Shop in the middle of the night. That is Photo Shop isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
When will you ever find time to fly the new supra's? You won't need a hair cut to go to France.
Your right...No more time to waist!

Thanks
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:40 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,972 Posts
Step away from the computer and go fly.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:57 AM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
421 Posts
Eagle anyone?

It looks like rain on the coast so I can't fly F3J

Don't know if I can do it yet but the forecast looks good...
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:04 PM
Sailplane Hoarderer....er
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jul 2005
218 Posts
Keith, the train to Blanco is leavin in a couple hours!!! We have lotsa room as always. The forecast is calling for wind peaking at 45 mph!!!
Ryan2200 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan2200
Old Jul 01, 2010, 06:10 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
421 Posts
Eagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2200 View Post
Keith, the train to Blanco is leavin in a couple hours!!! We have lotsa room as always. The forecast is calling for wind peaking at 45 mph!!!
Too far for me to get to Blanco as I'll need to be back home Tuesday. Probably 20 to 30mph on Eagle tomorrow.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:01 PM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
I wish!
Pilebuck is offline Find More Posts by Pilebuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HF Ventus
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:31 AM
LGE
Brier, WA
Joined Oct 2007
85 Posts
anyone heading over to tri cities this weekend, looking like it may be good? I'm thinking of leaving in the Early AM tomorrow for two or three days of it.

Larry form Camp Kory last weekend.

Larry E.
LGE is offline Find More Posts by LGE
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,265 Posts
It's a month away but I'll be driving to Moses Lk. from Seattle Aug 18th. Not familiar with any E. side slopes and have little experience at this stage other than Gasworks park and a a small FFF plank I made. I do have a Wing Warrior Ridge Runner I picked up for the bigger slopes and have been high start practicing on it.

Any sites along the way you recommend I try the WW out?
I'm looking forward to a REAL slope for once.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,972 Posts
This time of year the heat is to much for us coasties, so we will wait until late september to return to mecca. The tri-cities slopes are some of the finest but you should have someone with experience show you the ropes. You must be a mid-columbia soarers member to fly at Eagle Butte but anyone can fly at Kiona, SDR and Chandler. Hey anyone know the status of Chandler??? Has the gate come down? Is the sign gone??
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,265 Posts
double post
Last edited by flydiver; Jul 14, 2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: double post
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,265 Posts
I wondered why this thread had gone kind of dormant. OTOH 90*+ in Seattle is no picnic on the E. side in an exposed location. Even the wind is HOT!

The 18th is what I've got. Unfortunately there is not likely to be an opportunity for a more formal and proper introduction to one of these sites.

Where do you slope in the summer? Ebey? Horizon? Not at all?
I checked out Horizon for the first time last week but the wind was almost entirely W. and in the single digits the whole time. This seems fairly common for it.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
806 Posts
i would try sentinel gap. it is right on the way, a little south of vantage east of mattawa. good tacos in mattawa to boot
ask mtngoat for clearer directions than i can give you. there are 4 sites that provide every opportunity except a straight in easterly. few of the sites have marginal landing zone. most have acceptable recovery zone wiht the execption of some aspects right off of the gap over the columbia.
the only trepidation would be in finding the fly sites. if you have gps tho you are set. wouldnt hesistate throwing foamies off on my own for the first time.

there is plenty of summer sloping. you need to huk up with mtngoat's gang altho it's been quiet as of late not sure why. they do overnighters in some remote spots that are often foamies only.
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,265 Posts
I see MtnGoat is down it Lyle. It's a wonder he even leaves home. There are places all over the Gorge. When I get clear of the, uh, problems that are keeping me mostly local I plan to re-visit windsurfing (been doing that 20+ years) and take slope planes along. I've been up to Lumber but it was a weak easterly that day, so we were weren't on the River and were exploring.

Sentinel Gap looks interesting. I haven't been to Mattawa for probably 30 years when they used to do desert moto-cross there. That was a scene.

Good story on that.
My buddy and I cycled over to Mattawa one summer. Along the River was a huge watermelon field and we decided to do a Huck Finn and cop a melon. We pulled over and I nabbed one. We scrambled back on the bikes with my buddy in front and started down the road when a farm truck pulled out of the field ahead, partly blocked the road and a farmer got out, with a gun.
My buddy slowed, got close, geared down and the HIT IT!.
AW JEEZ, went through my head as I followed suit, laid down on the watermelon to reduce my profile and waited for shots. Nothing happened.
This made for a great story at the camp that evening. Moto-crossers were camped everywhere, the place was a mob scene. It was a big event back then.
Then, in comes that same watermelon truck. We weren't too worried. How was the guy going to know us from hundreds of other bikers in the camp? He worked the camp down our way selling watermelons. It was hot, he was doing a good business and took awhile. At our spot he stopped, came directly up to us and instead of asking if we wanted to buy a melon he requested we pay for the melons we swiped. He was nice about it-matter of fact, not angry, maybe even a little amused.
We were flabbergasted. We gladly paid him, paid him top dollar for a big melon.
As he got back in the truck he looked back and said, "Let me pick it out next time, that one wasn't ripe and it was small".
Damn if he wasn't right.
Last edited by flydiver; Jul 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,032 Posts
Joel63 and I made an impromptu trip out to the Tri-Cities this weekend for a little flying. I think this is the earliest in the season we've gone out there. Fortunately the wx was cooler with temps down in the mid-80's. Saturday was 10-15 mph at Eagle Butte. The air was smooth mixed in with thermals. I got very acquainted with my Pike Superior. (Sam - the acro program tip you gave me made in your face acro lots of fun!) We had the place to ourselves and flew from sun up to about sun down. All in all it was a very relaxing flying day.

Sunday conditions were much the same except we were welcomed with the presence of Sanders C. and Michael G. from Seattle and Bruce from Eastern Oregon. We had 20-25 mph smooth air immediately upon arrival at the slope. I loaded up my Ceres and enjoyed a BSing session. Very satisfying. The thermals eventually started popping which disrupted the consistency of the air. Some huge boomers moved through followed by...yes, um SINK. But the cycles were tight enough that you could always find lift if you searched around a little. As we were packing up, Sanders and Michael took advantage of a big dark cloud over the slope that kicked up the wind. At one point Michael really got the Ceres crankin'. Dear lord the Ceres can be get screamin' fast! But all things must end. And end they did. The lift shut off like a switch. Michael was left with a heavy ballasted Ceres, and no lift. I hate when that happens!! Needless to say he went for a nice hike. We left but looked like it was unscathed and landed nicely in the field below.

Hope to see the rest of the slope gang soon....
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot