SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:01 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Question
Where to get surgical tubing for prop-saver?

Where can I get surgical tubing used for prop-saver bands? What size tubing?

Thanks
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:29 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
I use 3/8" tubing.

You can get it as replacement slingshot rubber from Walmart.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:13 PM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
444 Posts
Homw Depot and Lowes sell it.
TFM70 is offline Find More Posts by TFM70
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:45 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Thanks, I did try searching and for some reason didn't come up with anything the first time but I kept playing around and found a lot of sources. Thanks

Walmart
Home Depot
Lowe's
Ace Hardware

I'm going to pick some up, I'm getting tired of o-rings.

Thanks again
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:47 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
O-rings are a lousy thing to have to use on a prop saver...but you know that.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:19 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,028 Posts
Our local Lowes has it in the plumbing department with the clear plastic tubing.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:59 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Go to a local physical therapy clinic. Ask them for the dark blue Thera-Band tubing. It is about 3/8" O.D. and perfect for prop saver bands. I was given a few feet of it for free at the place I asked for it at. Worst case you can get a lifetime supply for a few bucks.

The light duty cable cutting tool seen in the photo is perfect for slicing off little pieces of it. I have used it with motors of up to 200 Watts with no problem. Use two bands or cut wider pieces for higher power, make the little tool seen in the photo to put them on with.

You'll never use another O-ring after trying this stuff!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Mar 12, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:05 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
Where can I get surgical tubing used for prop-saver bands? What size tubing?Thanks
From a Medical Supply, normally they are situated close to a hospital....

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:23 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
There is a frequently mentioned 100 Watt or so "limit" on using O-rings for prop saver bands and I think it is a realistic limit. When I started using the sling shot rubber bands and then the Thera-Band bands I was willing to try them at higher power levels because they simply felt that much better. I started doubling with two bands and that really helped too.

I fly alone in an area remote from other humans, over no homes, etc. And I'm smart enough to stay out of the propeller arc. I have not lost any props in flight due to the blue Thera-band bands failing. They are strong enough. They just need to be inspected for damage and UV deterioration and replaced when deterioration is evident just like O-rings. The Thera-band rings have a cost of pennies compared to much higher costs for O-rings.

I think there is an opening for a break through in prop saver band technology here. And a merchandising or business opportunity here. Two dozen of those bands and Prop Saver Jiffy Tool in a zip lock bag selling for about $3 or so? Maybe $4.95? Who could get past it when they are spending up to a buck or more for O-rings?

Jack
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:28 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,028 Posts
"O" rings were never designed to be stretched, they're designed to compress. The surgical tubing is the best I've found so far and I use a cheapee crochet hook if one needs a little persuasion. If I remember, it was around $1 for a pack of two hooks.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:17 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
Here's another DYI for a prop saver installation tool. Works fantastically well.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:14 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
I get mine (which I also use for rigging scuba diving gear) at the local fishing tackle shop. All diffrent colors and sizes available by the foot.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:01 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
There are a couple dozen places on line that sell all manner of latex/surgical tubing.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
http://wmparkflyers.com/propsaverbands.aspx 80cents for 10 bands, and only 75 cents shipping

I get my bands here. They've been working for my very well. But you guys have good ideas for replacements of O rings.

S
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Check post #7 above. I get mine at a local Physical Therapy clinic, so far they have just given it to me for free. The Thera-Band blue tubing is about perfect for RC use.

Many do not agree with me, those are the people that have not tried it yet and would probably have believed Chicken Little when he said the sky was falling. I believe Thera-Band prop saver rings are safe for use over 100 Watts. Way over 100 Watts in fact.

I use it all the time on power system that are capable or more than 200 Watts by just adding a second band. That is on 90 gram DAT-750 motor that have been rewound to double their power output.

The other day I put an APC Thin Electric 13 x 8 prop on DAT-750 and ran it up to full throttle in a static test with no problems. That was with a well balanced prop and done in a safe static testing environment and manner. You can see the results in the image, 240 Watts at 6,000 RPM and no problems at all.

Warning! I fly alone and in an uninhabited area. I have never, not once ever, had a Thera-Band break in flight. I can understand and respect club flying areas that might not tolerate what I am doing. But the only risk of injury here is that of the airplane falling out of the air or being flow into some one and that is a risk that we have to tolerate.

"Friends don't let friends use O-rings for prop savers!"

Jack